DREAMS/VISIONS/NIGHTMARES CONTEST - Discussion Thread

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a thread to discuss Ambrosia's Dreams, Visions, or Nightmares contest - any questions, please contact Ambrosia.

The poems are here.

Enjoy!

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
My votes are in! Good luck everyone. The entries are all spectacular.

ajc

What do I know?
Registered
Reaction score
Wowie! So many poems! What great participation. Thanks, Patty for hosting this!

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
What a turn out! Excellent poems all. Thanks for setting this up, Patty... great, universally accessible theme.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first read through of the entries tells me only picking a top three is going to be tough. Excellent work everyone and thank you to Ambrosia and the donators for making it possible. :)

Brandt

give it to me straight
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful fun. Good luck all and thanks Patty for a great job.

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
Great job Ambrosia,

So many high-quality poems and such a diverse array of styles, great job to everyone who entered. I had such a hard time voting; it came down to what I was in the mood for at that moment, and if I were to vote tomorrow, I'd have probably gone for three different pieces.
It was fun.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed reading every poem too.

The fact that self-described 'non-poets' also entered is a good sign that poetry may not be as dead as some would like to think?

Last edited:

ajc

What do I know?
Registered
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed reading every poem too.

The fact that non-poets also entered is a good sign that poetry may not be as dead as some would like to think?
How can a non-poet enter a poetry contest?

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Very good job on the contest, Ambrosia, and there was a really good turn-out - all excellent. I, too, had a hard time figuring out which one to vote for - doing a Top Ten might have made the job a little easier, but only a little.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. :)

The poets who entered all did an excellent job on their poems. Everyone is a winner, regardless who wins those prizes. Not a loser amongst the group. Those who entered should be very proud. Great job! :)

Flowerfairy

Lady Entropia
Registered
Reaction score
Great job, Ambrosia and good luck to all the contestants. The poems are all very interesting with various styles to show for. I would still have to go over the poems today before I vote.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did my second read through today and took a sharp axe and wore a tough expression. :)

I've managed to get the 26 down to 11 ready for the third read. Those that didn't make the Hoskins' cut were only cut because they weren't so much to my taste, the writing, I think, has been good across the board.

I must say the voting process isn't easy, but it is so rewarding. Not only am I taking part in a community event and learning how to write better by reading, but I've also had the super-tingly goosebumps, been made to laugh and smile, been made to think and had my mind striped with some brilliant imagery.

Things are only going to get tougher now, as my top eleven must become a top five and then a top three. Thanks again to Ambrosia for organizing the contest and to everyone who put pen to paper and (more importantly) actually submitted the thing they wrote. Well done everyone. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
17 people have sent in their votes so far. I am getting comments on how hard it was to choose just three. Great job, folks!

Kie, I have never thought poetry was dead. ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've narrowed it down to six. So that's progress...

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I too am delighting in the reading. Some of the entries speak to me right away, and others don't. But second and third readings often reveal new murmurs. I won't vote for a while; I have more listening to do.

The activity level is exciting to see.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight I cut my short list of 11 down to 8 --I was aiming to cut it to 5 but you know how tough that is, right? :)

The interesting thing is the ones that were top of my pops on the second reading have slipped a little on the third. I will get the 8 to 5 in the morrow -- but the whole process makes me want to go back to the ones already cut and reappraise. I shall refrain from doing this though, otherwise it'll be circles for the rest of time.

In the end all I know is there's some damn fine work been submitted. :)