• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Shadow

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
storiesyoumightlike.wordpress.com
Legit not thinking of any ideas right now, been that way for months. Guess I'll try doing some dribble and drabble which will hopefully get me back in the mood to write and get some ideas flowing in my brain.

Immortal

Lord of the Sad and Lonely
Registered
Reaction score
I laid another project to rest today. I went over it again and realized everything about it was off and not what I originally had intended. Oh well.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I have an idea for another short story (this time everyone keeps their pants on, yay!) but it still lacks... a plot. :rolleyes

That's my problem with sci-fi, I think. I fall in love with ideas instead of stories.

NikiK

Registered
Reaction score
Got the stitches removed from my hand today, so I can type again, yay! Been writing longhand all week. Not complaining though, going at the slower pace has forced me to think more deeply about the theme of my novel and how I want to approach it. Haven't spent much time on the actual story, but made a bunch of notes for when it comes time for rewrites.

Krelian

I set fires to feel joy...
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, there isn't much on my mind, other than to write. Words are flowing quick from my fingertips, smoother and more natural than they ever have before, and I think it's because I'm finally into what I'm writing. I almost feel excited about where it's going to go, because the nice thing is. I don't even know yet. :)

BlackMirror

Writing. Writing. Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a fantasy fiction novel, and Im just getting started after building my outline and my world for several years. The outline is so detailed, and the plot great, so I feel like I shouldn't change anything anymore.

But since it resides in the fantasy genre, I'm always bothered by the chances that it really isn't as original as I thought it is. I wrote my outline with the sole purpose of making it original, but after looking at other books, it sometimes gets eerily similar. Im just gonna hope it turns out all right.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Well got my first rejection. Somehow instead of bumming me out, I fell like I've joined a venerable club.

Now off to submit elsewhere!

That's the spirit!
I think Stephen King talks about being excited to get his first rejections, in 'On Writing'.

Good luck with the next one.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Well got my first rejection. Somehow instead of bumming me out, I fell like I've joined a venerable club.

Now off to submit elsewhere!

Aww... well, onward to the next shot at glory. I have a couple of rejections from aeons ago, but haven't subbed anything in recent memory, so I think my club membership has lapsed. :/

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
*sigh* Well, I'm writing in first person right now. I want to do something different. See how it feels. I felt that my writing was repeating itself a bit too much in third. Plus, third is my comfort zone. I'm not using it because it tells the story the best. I use it because it's what I know. So, I want to try writing in something else. It's hard and it feel weird. I constantly wonder if I'm doing it right. But I have to push on and keep trying with it. At the very least, this will help me write or learn how to write that very close third person POV I want to write.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to leave my first draft sitting awhile, but I couldn't resist the urge to start editing. I've already chopped off 1,000 words just through tightening some of the writing. I like to get my writing tightened before I let other people see it.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Revising and editing because I can't figure out how to move the WIP forward and work in ending that I want to use.

Juzzy

Pancakes.
Registered
Reaction score
Decided to scrap the prologue of my current WIP and use the information it had as the beginning chapters of the second book, once I get to it... Fingers crossed it all goes well :)

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Research, research, lovely research!
Glad you're having fun with it!

Revising and editing because I can't figure out how to move the WIP forward and work in ending that I want to use.
Sometimes I found that a few days of editing did the trick. Like it caused me to unconsciously mull the story over in my mind so that I was finally ready to push on. Good luck!

House Steel

Registered
Reaction score
Almost at the end of draft four and realizing that i'm going to have to do at least one more draft before showing it to beta readers :(

At this rate I won't be finished till December...

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
I've taken a break from writing my Time Travel wip and I'm working on a alternate history something. I've got no outline, and am going pretty much by the seat of my pants. It is very refreshing.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got 4,000 words in the last two days. (3,000 in one wip and 1,000 on the other).

However, I was feeling a little "stuck", and I didn't know what to do next, so I went back to my notebook, took some more notes and edited my outline again.

This helped SO much, since I'm one of those who needs some form of basic structure before doing things. Now I have added some more milestones for scenes and more conflict-related questions to think about as I write. :)

Recently, I was scared when a file got corrupted, but then I recovered a non-corrupted copy from the internets, and then everything was fine. Whew! :D

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I was telling my coworker friend about my bard series earlier this evening and somehow talking about it got me thinking and, well, that turned into a brand new character as well as possible overarching motive for certain story events that up to now were just vague impressions. Awesome.

I think this new character is totally worth writing about on his own, too.

Of course now that I'm all psyched up I can't even do anything about it right now. =/ Have to be up first thing tomorrow for work so I should be winding down and getting ready to go to sleep soon. Sigh. Hopefully the energy will still be there by the time I'd ready to get to it.

impossiblewords

Nice work, bone daddy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
impossiblewords.wordpress.com
I've promised myself that for every 500 words I write, I can play a level of Candy Crush. I feel like it's a good compromise, because apparently I have no self-discipline. =/

OutOfYourReality

Registered
Reaction score
I've been making a list of scenes/elements that don't work in my current story for one last pass at editing before I hand it off to my harshest critic: my brother. I only hope the story's concept isn't so out there that it can't be enjoyed.