• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

DeClarke

Write on, write on.
Registered
Reaction score
On chapter 15 of my third book of a series and I know I have to do it. I have to kill off one of my characters. Oh man...I have other twists and turns but that can only play for so long. I mean, I have killed off minor characters and even those made me feel terrible.

Alright man up, and get to this. Come on now!

- - - Updated - - -

I recently read an answer from an established writer who'd been asked how to become a better writer. His answer was simple: "Become a better person." Now, that's gonna take me a while. Think I'll probably run out of road before that.

Greatest quote I have ever heard, seriously.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor Harbin:

Oh, that is so hard, trying to make all those decisions for a new story: POV, writing style, present tense vs. flashbacks, opening scenes, plot flow, etc.

While running through all those options in your mind, you know that whichever choice you make, it will affect the entire look-and-feel of the story.

People who do not write, and who only see the final results, have no idea how many options there are, and how exhausting it can be to chose them!

Best of luck on yours! :)

Yes, it's a terrifying prospect of getting wrong. If Lolita had been written in third person, it wouldn't work. If Grapes of Wrath hadn't been written in third, it wouldn't work. Since this story is focused on conveying emotions, it's a serious dilemma for me. Thanks for the encouragement.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I finally got to writing again after a long absence (too creatively drained by end of semester at work) and managed about 2000 words over the past 3 days, which is not much but way better than the 0 I was averaging in the week before. I even really like what I just wrote - it felt easy coming off my fingers. I didn't even have to think too hard about it. It's been awhile since that happened. So, that's a positive about today. :)

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Why is it that I have days when the writing flows and then have days when all I can do is stare at the page and worry that this book is all wrong? There is surely a reason.

Taylor Harbin:

Oh, that is so hard, trying to make all those decisions for a new story: POV, writing style, present tense vs. flashbacks, opening scenes, plot flow, etc.

While running through all those options in your mind, you know that whichever choice you make, it will affect the entire look-and-feel of the story.

People who do not write, and who only see the final results, have no idea how many options there are, and how exhausting it can be to chose them!

Best of luck on yours! :)
Your post made me smile because I have no trouble at all with the decisions you find difficult to make. In fact, I never give them a moment's thought. My struggles start with the first word of the project because I'm unsure of what the next word should be. I'd wager that comes easily to you. We try to help each other, but damn, we are so different.

RLGreenleaf

Ummm, just one more chapter...
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor Harbin:

I found it interesting that you mentioned John Steinbeck. I grew up in Steinbeck country, and am familiar with many of the areas and places described in "The Grapes of Wrath".

I also took a trip to the Sea of Cortez some years ago -- which, as I am sure you know, Steinbeck wrote about, along with his friend, marine biologist Ed Ricketts, on whom he based his character Doc. I did not visit there specifically because of Steinbeck, but was vividly aware of his work while there.

WriteMinded:

You are absolutely correct: some of us find things difficult that others find easy, and versa vice.

And you are also correct: once the first major decisions have been made, the words tend to flow quickly, for me. The hard part (for me) is trying to figure out which words to cut out, as I usually end up with so many of them!

Conversations tend to come easily for me, too, though I often hear writers complain about how difficult it is.

Everyone & Anyone:

On a different topic, I was curious to ask -- does anyone else have trouble writing fiction when someone else is in the same room? I do, and have heard a few others say that they do, as well, so I was just wondering. :)

Curiously, I can write non-fiction easily when others are in the room, but for fiction, I enter a completely different mental state.

Anyway, just wondering.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Why is it that I have days when the writing flows and then have days when all I can do is stare at the page and worry that this book is all wrong? There is surely a reason.

Your post made me smile because I have no trouble at all with the decisions you find difficult to make. In fact, I never give them a moment's thought. My struggles start with the first word of the project because I'm unsure of what the next word should be. I'd wager that comes easily to you. We try to help each other, but damn, we are so different.

I usually don't have trouble picking a POV or tense, but this story has to describe things that are representative of our world but that don't exist in our world. Choice of tense seems more important with this piece because making that connection with the reader hinges on my abilities to describe.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor Harbin:

I found it interesting that you mentioned John Steinbeck. I grew up in Steinbeck country, and am familiar with many of the areas and places described in "The Grapes of Wrath".

I also took a trip to the Sea of Cortez some years ago -- which, as I am sure you know, Steinbeck wrote about, along with his friend, marine biologist Ed Ricketts, on whom he based his character Doc. I did not visit there specifically because of Steinbeck, but was vividly aware of his work while there.

WriteMinded:

You are absolutely correct: some of us find things difficult that others find easy, and versa vice.

And you are also correct: once the first major decisions have been made, the words tend to flow quickly, for me. The hard part (for me) is trying to figure out which words to cut out, as I usually end up with so many of them!

Conversations tend to come easily for me, too, though I often hear writers complain about how difficult it is.

Everyone & Anyone:

On a different topic, I was curious to ask -- does anyone else have trouble writing fiction when someone else is in the same room? I do, and have heard a few others say that they do, as well, so I was just wondering. :)

Curiously, I can write non-fiction easily when others are in the room, but for fiction, I enter a completely different mental state.

Anyway, just wondering.

Thanks!

I'd love to visit the parts of California he called home (especially since my grandpa told me to read Grapes of Wrath to get an idea how he spent his youth). And no, I have to be alone to write just about anything.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fascinated how characters come out with personalities I didn't know they had whilst I'm writing. In a scene with a tertiary character, I realised he came across as arrogant and even a little bit cruel. I hadn't plotted him to be that way, but it's amazing how characters seem to take on lives of their own.

RLGreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Will Collins.

I know exactly what you mean about characters having surprising personality traits.

In a few of my stories, the characters came out with very surprising secrets that I did not really know they had!

And when those secrets come out, it explains why the characters are as they are.

One of my characters was a tough, independent woman, who was not afraid of anything..and in later chapters, I sent her on a visit to her old home in London, and was surprised to learn that her husband had often beat her mercilessly and made her docile; but she had managed to escape and learn to become strong and independent.

And just for good measure, she runs into her husband while visiting her old home, and when he starts to beat her for having run away...she ends up defending herself and thereby killing him. :)

I was not even aware of any of this when I sent her on her visit, but it made me really happy to see her tie some loose ends in her life in that way.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re POV: were it me, I'd write a chapter or two twice, one each way and see which worked. I know we all have our different styles. Some people write straight through. I find I do best writing scenes. They began to grow together with some more developed than others. Some of the scenes changed completely, some didn't and some I took out altogether. Eventually they turned into a book.

It's the proverbial, stop planning and start writing advice. :tongue

I don't have trouble writing with people in the room. But I have found the NaNoWriMo gatherings where everyone writes in the same room did not work for me.

Testome

Registered
Reaction score
50k into my latest revision my mc has reached the site of her final arc in her story for which I didn't think would be so soon. I tend to write straight through get a part of it reviewed and then decide to scrap most of it. Though in the latest case, I only really changed the pov. I can't get really get the hang of writing out of order. Strange considering that I couldn't get my brain to outline for all the marbles in the world.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in heaven. My son has the first 140 pages to beta read and he said this:
I read the first 20 or 30 pages today. I have a couple notes for minor stuff here and there, but I am honestly really really impressed!!! The pacing feels really professional, much better than I could have written. I like how the chapter breaks leave you wanting more every time, it reads really well. I am really proud of you for pulling this off mom!!!! You should finish it and get it out there!!

RLGreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
MaeZe:

Ummm...do you think you could get your son to send me an email like that, too?

I would gladly make it worth his while and pay him good money? :)

Just kidding.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fascinated how characters come out with personalities I didn't know they had whilst I'm writing. In a scene with a tertiary character, I realised he came across as arrogant and even a little bit cruel. I hadn't plotted him to be that way, but it's amazing how characters seem to take on lives of their own.

In that situation, I like to say it's my subconscious realizing what's best for the story.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
Made the difficult decision to stop what I'm doing then start over from the beginning. I know most of my issues lie in chapters 21-26 but I feel that starting over from scratch is the best way to figure them out because, right now, I'm just making dust and cobwebs with what I'm writing.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Wasted half the day fiddlefarting with illustrations for the historical and the other half pissed off at a backstabber. However, I did manage to edit a honking long and a short chapter. Now I'm tuckered. I'm also hungry. Grrr.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, rwm, I definitely blame it on the subconcious. It's a bizarre but wonderful thing. :)

Awesome story RL. I've had similar backstories for characters reveal themselves that I hadn't planned out, but not to that extent.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
My best friend and colleague finally got around to reading my book (he was the first to download it when it became available months ago, but hadn't gotten around to it.) He came over to greet me this morning at work by emphatically flailing about the plot event he'd reached (it had surprised him, and he was very excited) and then proceeded to finish another several chapters during lunch, after which he came by my desk to do some more flailing before we had to get back to teaching and making exams. I know he's my best friend, but he's a pretty straight shooter when it comes to critiques, so the fact that he really likes it is awesome and super motivating me to write more. He said he can't put it down - which are just the words every writer wants to hear! So that's the good thing from today. :) It's really helped my inspiration!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Wasted half the day fiddlefarting with illustrations for the historical and the other half pissed off at a backstabber. However, I did manage to edit a honking long and a short chapter. Now I'm tuckered. I'm also hungry. Grrr.

I'm stealing this word for future use.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My best friend and colleague finally got around to reading my book (he was the first to download it when it became available months ago, but hadn't gotten around to it.) He came over to greet me this morning at work by emphatically flailing about the plot event he'd reached (it had surprised him, and he was very excited) and then proceeded to finish another several chapters during lunch, after which he came by my desk to do some more flailing before we had to get back to teaching and making exams. I know he's my best friend, but he's a pretty straight shooter when it comes to critiques, so the fact that he really likes it is awesome and super motivating me to write more. He said he can't put it down - which are just the words every writer wants to hear! So that's the good thing from today. :) It's really helped my inspiration!

That's fantastic!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling with my opening lines.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making good progress on my WIP but the draft waiting for me and another project I want to work on are both novellas. How can I make them feasible if hardly anyone publishes short novels???

RLGreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Taylor Harbin:

I feel your pain. :)

I have a novella too, that no one seems to be interested in, due to its short length.

It is complete unto itself, but I have been expanding it. Luckily, it is turning out to be much better than I had hoped, but I was so afraid that adding to it might break it.

But the new chapters add depth to the story, and they explore various characters that were originally tertiary characters.

Perhaps you might want to try that: expand one of your minor characters and explore their background and psychological make-up.