• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

snow1flower

Registered
Reaction score
I finished a scene that I'd been dreading working on. I'd been writing slower and slower to put off actually writing THE scene. It was a sex scene, and I've never actually written one without actually "fading to black." The hard part was that the MC been drinking, and then I made her feel guilty about it the next day, but the guy is one that she really is falling for and I was going to make him just fold to her demands that they keep their relationship a secret, but that isn't how he's going to react to this situation. And, I really didn't want the book to be so, about their relationship, it's supposed to be about her journey and acceptance of her new life, and that she cannot go back to the old one. But it doesn't seem to matter how far along I put their "moment" it's still a major deal to the book and the character, and................well......I don't want it to be so romancey, but I can't seem to get away from it.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I finished a scene that I'd been dreading working on. I'd been writing slower and slower to put off actually writing THE scene. It was a sex scene, and I've never actually written one without actually "fading to black."
Oh yes. That first one.
Now watch yourself being unable to *NOT* write them. :e2smack:

... What do you mean, it's just me?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Deadlines blehhhhhhhI've been working on this story since December. It's a story for my fiancee's birthday which is coming up next week. I thought I was done, but I decided to make a whole bunch of changes last week. I'm forcing myself between 2-3 hours a day on this sucker. Anyways, back to edits. Gatta go.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
Found the issue that's keeping me from going forward -- the whole chapter that I had "completed" before going on to work on the next needs some major work done on it. It's all over the place and I can't believe that I allowed it to be so.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gave a critique to a new writer who is quite creative but needs to learn some of the basics, and he gushed about how positive my critique made him feel plus how much he agreed with my comments.

I'm glowing.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking its time for a map of my city. I've lost track of how the city rests on the river, where it joins the sea, where the beach is, the waterfall, the cliffs. There are hills to east, quarries to the south and woods to the north, but the picture in my mind is all jumbled and somehow all within ten minutes walk. If I don't buy it, damned sure the reader won't either.

Its lucky I like making maps.

snow1flower

Registered
Reaction score
I finally tied in my wandering scenes with the chapter I'd previously written. Reading through the chapter I mention an irrigation system, and I'm like What? Why did I mention that? Now, I don't know if i need to expand on this irrigation system that my character was "fascinated" by or if i should just cut it.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I finally tied in my wandering scenes with the chapter I'd previously written. Reading through the chapter I mention an irrigation system, and I'm like What? Why did I mention that? Now, I don't know if i need to expand on this irrigation system that my character was "fascinated" by or if i should just cut it.

Or you could find a way to make the irrigation system very important to the plot.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoopee! Bought a new printer and I can print from my Macbook in any room instead of having to boot up the PC and transfer files.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering again whether I really want to try to write professionally, or if it's just not the right time to go through with those plans.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to keep myself from going all the way back to the beginning and then editing it all over again. I'm just getting my booty kicked these last few days and, sadly, its my work that's in control on the shoe

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Went to edit a chapter. The goal was to cut the word count and make it really precise. I cut lots of stuff, reworded a bunch of unclear paragraphs and tried to make things transition smoother. Somehow, it went from 3300 to 4400.

Whaaaaaat? This is the stuff of blasphemy!

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Went to edit a chapter. The goal was to cut the word count and make it really precise. I cut lots of stuff, reworded a bunch of unclear paragraphs and tried to make things transition smoother. Somehow, it went from 3300 to 4400.

Whaaaaaat? This is the stuff of blasphemy!
That's, like, -1100 less! Success! (yay for double negatives)

I usually find my very very very mild dyslexia pretty amusing, and even useful at times... but sometimes it's annoying because I tend to swap whole words rather than letters, so the spellchecker doesn't catch those mistakes. Example from earlier today:

Anthony tried last one time. :Shrug:

Gnnnnn.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
Not even going to make an attempt in writing today -- depression has just got me all in a bind. Blinkk, I've experienced that so many times that I can scream. Work to edit a chapter, and to get it around 50-100 words shorter, and find that you've actually added 50-100 words to it. It's one of the things that make you want to grab your hair and then rip it from your head

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Leaning back toward going through with my self-publishing plans. I swear this is going to continue in an endless cycle. Writing and bipolar are such a great combination. Well, sometimes I love the energy I get from my mania, but I hate when the depression kicks in. It's hard to get writing done.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
How to skip 4 or 5 chapters is on my mind. I see the problem I'm having, but can't seem to stop myself from doing the same things over and over. The obvious answer is to keep the first chapter, delete the next 4 (or 5) and then decide what, if anything, needs to be added to what is left of the ms. However, I balketh.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking it might be best for me, at this point in my life, to write my novels without worrying about publishing or self-publishing. That way, when it is time, I'll have plenty of material available. I don't want to be too stressed out these next few years while I'm in Engineering school, and I'm worried that trying to go to school, working a normal job, and pursuing self-publishing will be too much on my plate.