• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

lmoses2011

Registered
Reaction score
What's on my mind about my writing.

Is it any good...I've started countless books and am finally trying to make a good go of this one. I have about 6000 words thus far, and i'm itching to know whether any of it is good, the idea my characters...any of it. I think I am extremely creative, but creativity does not a novel make. And despitethe fact that I think I'm a writer, there's a still voice in a little dark corner of my mind that's telling me "quit kidding yourself"

Oh and dialogue, it's so easy to say really freaking hard to write.

Sigh

Last edited:

codeorange

Some of my friends are fictional.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
runwiththeorange.wordpress.com
My manuscript "The Taste of Orange," is out on submission. I trust my agent in all areas, so I don't worry about the publishing end. My problem? My main character from The Taste of Orange won't leave me alone. I'm working on a new manuscript but can't get her out of my head. She is stronger than my current character, Stella. Clancy, leave me alone!

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that writing area pages might actually be preferable to working on the opening of my novel, which just goes to show how frustrated I am. This transition still isn't working, no matter how much I play with it. :cry:

Last edited:

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Love the idea of 10' zombies! :)

I'm a little frustrated so far this week. Finally figured out what needs to happen in two scenes I've been stuck on, but this is also the week I have tons of studying (~ 200 pp to read and two quizzes!) and things to submit to my publisher for a different story.

All I want is a few hours of decent brain-power to knock those two scenes out without hurting my gpa -- about 6 hours should do it!

Papaya

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I've finally found a way to fit a description in that doesn't break POV and stays true to my character. Progress. Plus, the transition is working better than ever. Now for the last bit that's still hanging out....

sarawrites

rolling up her sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saravallejo.com
When will my letter letting me know if I made it into this MFA program show up?! Technically we're only at five weeks of a six to eight week notification deadline, so it's early yet, but damn am I anxious.

I did my undergrad in Fiction Writing at this college and I improved so dramatically as a writer. I want to go back! I want to learn how to teach, too!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I think I might have idea what to write next for the next section of my WIP. I really don't think this thing is going to be that long, but that's something I'm fine with. I'm just glad to be writing again right now. Small steps first, right?

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Hmm... why has my favorite thread languished for almost three whole days? Is everyone so busy writing they no longer have anything on their minds about their writing? Or have they simply... lost their minds?

Inquiring noobs want to know.

As for my own work, it's been going so well I actually pasted the last section into a word-processor (I write in plain text) and formatted it to make sure I'm not fooling myself. I ended up changing only a single word, so either I am doing it right, or I'm getting better at fooling myself into thinking I'm doing it right...

:D

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Hmm... why has my favorite thread languished for almost three whole days? Is everyone so busy writing they no longer have anything on their minds about their writing? Or have they simply... lost their minds?

Yes. March 1st is the annual festival of Writers Losing Their Minds. As soon as the clock ticks past midnight, we can all write at super-speed, but are incapable of writing a forum post about it.

...and that would be an indication of how much I hate the scene I'm writing at the moment. 500 words of rubbish about my MC installing a wind turbine on the top of her workshop? The only people who'd read that are wind turbine enthusiasts, who'd probably tell me I'm doing it wrong anyway.

sarawrites

rolling up her sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saravallejo.com
When will my letter letting me know if I made it into this MFA program show up?! Technically we're only at five weeks of a six to eight week notification deadline, so it's early yet, but damn am I anxious.

I did my undergrad in Fiction Writing at this college and I improved so dramatically as a writer. I want to go back! I want to learn how to teach, too!

Waitlisted. :(

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
The only people who'd read that are wind turbine enthusiasts, who'd probably tell me I'm doing it wrong anyway.

I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh so hard... All I can think of now are blog posts from outraged "wind turbine enthusiasts" who want to boycott your publisher. :roll:

Papaya

Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on my beginning, which is all I ever do these days. Just kidding. Well, sort of. I've scrapped everything I had previously reported on, and nearly walked away from the book. But once again, it refused to let me, and instead kept me up that very night, fixing the problem, (or trying to anyway).

I have a crap ton of work coming up this month, so it'll be back to my freelance writing so I can pay the bills. I'd like to get the first chapter re-posted on SYW before I get buried.

I realize it's not as exciting as 10' tall headless zombies, but that's all I've got. :Shrug:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I think I might definitely may have to put my word count down to 500 to 1000 words now. Like really. I'm kind of busy with stuff. Plus, I tend to get blocked/stuck easier now it seems. So, maybe leaving off in a slightly exciting/interesting part(s), or at least, stop writing before I get completely stuck then I'll be fine. I think.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
Today was a good day. I wrote the prologue for my steam-magitech-punk (That is so a word), did work on a couple of game design jobs, worked on learning a new coding language AND I got some course work done.
Now unto Star Trek enterprise and insomnia!

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score

Inquiring noobs want to know.

One of those days I spent writing. Reworked a chapter, wrote the next one, and cleaned up the previous pages to match the changes. Then I read over the original version, and now I think I should have left it alone. Or not. Or maybe. Or $#@*!

Went back to staring at the wall. Yeah, been doing a lot of that.

Writerlywise, the other two days were even less productive.

*tries to grab the 666th post, just for the hell of it* ;)

\m/ \m/
Congratulations. You won the evil number.