• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

aixsponsa

This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennygaines.wordpress.com
I'm just excited to finally be working on a real novel-length work! All my ideas before had not been long enough and finally, I've had some sort of mental bubble pop and all of a sudden I can think of novel-length plots.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I've written a solid amount already today, and just now chanced a brief respite, but maybe I shouldn't. I'm think I'm hanging onto my muse by the most tenuous of threads. . .

(Screw her. I need a break. :D)

scribofelidae

New(ish) kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
scribofelidae.wordpress.com
I am editing a novel at the moment, and trying to learn new ways to measure my progress. The old spreadsheet with the daily word count worked well while drafting, but now I'm at this stop-and-go stage of deep think, scene rewrites, and minor revisions. I can't measure it the same way and without that yardstick, my confidence is flagging a little. I think (or at least hope) I'm on the cusp of a new normal.

Beyond that, this Wednesday my local face-to-face writers group is having a special meeting, one we all hope will help revitalize the group which has gotten a wee bit too comfortable. You know what I mean? A rut. We are in it. This will be a mighty unrutting. Looking forward to it.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
Three thousand words gone. I am sure I saved it but it's nowhere in my save files.:Hammer::cry:

ETA: Hallelujah! Thank god for my temp folder!

Last edited:

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I know it took me 5 hours to edit 3 and half chapters, but I still feel like I'm rushing. I feel like I should be struggling more which is ridiculous because I've already rewritten these chapters and edited them 3 times. They should be pretty good by now. I think I just need to stop obsessing about it and move on.

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
I keep writing into dead ends with my WIP. I'm not sure what to do with it at the moment. So i went back through some old work and found an unfinished piece. God there are some cringeworthy lines in it.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about at that point where I always seem to freeze in my tracks & I need to push past it and continue.

Also, in the mid 8000s word wise & every time I go to work on it now, I keep thinking "My word count it's... almost over nine THOUSAAAND!!!"

Battyvamp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am in the process of writing my first novel, one based in urban fantasy. I am excited about it, but worried at the same time. Afraid I am no where as good as I hope I am, and that I will just give up because it isn't going the way I want it to.

I have it all in my head, but getting it out of my head and onto the computer/paper is not working very well. Times like these I wish the invention that Bobbi Anderson made in 'Tommyknockers' was real. You know the one that wrote for her from her mind while she slept?

I try to write at least a few words a night, before bed, even if it is only a paragraph or two, just so that I have something coming out and into the light. I am not even putting in details or anything right now, just the basic storyline so I can get it out and then work on the details and continuity later.

I don't want to give up, and I want to be good.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I think the typo demons have been in my computer again. I know I've read that chapter dozens of times -- how did I not catch them?

sargeorge

Learning to tie my shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Frustrated because I have a head cold and can't concentrate eventhough I really want to...

bean60

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I would like to find beta readers to look at my first novel. I know the point where I want to end it, just not sure how to write the ending. Anyone else have that problem?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, I'm damn excited to see my paranormal romance take the # 3 slot on Amazon in the freebie program--Paranormal. Instead of hundreds of free downloads, in the past, I'm now pushing well over 3,000, which has NEVER happened before. It's still smokin' and you can download it today, the last day, if you want: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008SDVEQU/?tag=absowrit-20

On other fronts, I got a promotion and raise at Textbroker, then got swamped with direct client orders that just keep coming in the droves. AutoZone, Brake Masters and Auto Pro USA have given me not, hundreds, but promise thousands of pages to do. I'm swamped.

My SF sequel is feeling all lonely sitting on the hard drive and waiting for me to return. I don't even have the time to punch a pixel on it, nor do I have any promo time for all my titles on Amazon.

Just bushed.

And...waiting for responses on 43 submissions, and news from the eight or nine my agent has in the pool.

tri

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I'm starting to feel like Prince of Persia from the Wii game, the one where every time you die he says "No wait, that's not how it happened... this is how it happened..."

Sigh.

But I took nine pages of handwritten notes the other day, and miracle of miracles: I got inspired. I now have a truly appropriate ending for the climax -- you know, the kind that makes a reader marvel at how much the MC has grown, how epic the story has become, and how awesome the author is...

Err... :D

marycontrary

Another Writer Wanna-Be
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first (and only- so far) novel 3 yrs ago. After almost 50,000 words I decided it was not good enough to be published so I didn't finish it. It was good, but not good enough. I had no idea how to make it better. Then two weeks ago I found this forum and voila! I figured out what was missing and have begun the work of improving and completing it.

I'm also working on reviving my freelance writing. The big dream is to earn my living writing. I've lost so many years dreaming about it and not actually DOING it. I'm hoping this forum will keep me focused. Reading about so many success stories here is so motivating!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I wrote my first (and only- so far) novel 3 yrs ago. After almost 50,000 words I decided it was not good enough to be published so I didn't finish it. It was good, but not good enough. I had no idea how to make it better. Then two weeks ago I found this forum and voila! I figured out what was missing and have begun the work of improving and completing it.

I'm also working on reviving my freelance writing. The big dream is to earn my living writing. I've lost so many years dreaming about it and not actually DOING it. I'm hoping this forum will keep me focused. Reading about so many success stories here is so motivating!

Good for you. Finish that novel, edit it and put it out in the world where it belongs.

I too am freelancing--just got a raise and promotion from TB, and I still belong to DMS, even though they are hurting for clients. But the pay has improved. Now, I dive into my sequel and keep promoting what books I have on Amazon.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to fight the flu and having a deadline at the same time is a bad combination. At least I've figured out why I've been getting such nasty headaches the last few days.

KoryDTS

Registered
Reaction score
Evening shifts in customer support are perfect for writing while at work. Don't tell my boss.

Though, one angry customer and it's hard to continue writing.