• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Books. Me, I'm doing good if I can push out a teeny little short story. I have probably written a couple thousand words today but it's all been emails. My energy is consumed right now by a stressful drama in my house, in my life, and I have not yet learned how to keep enough for writing while it's going on and is this intense.

I do appreciate the comic relief very much. :D

Drama is dramatic. It can be hard to do much of anything productive. :p :Hug2:

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Yah okay, Kali is the name of my cat. Who is innocently sitting at the foot of my bed waiting for her dinner.

She is naked but does not write, at least not that I have ever seen.

Give her some opposable thumbs and she'll write a memoir by the end of the day, I guarantee it. Then she will write a book about a cat that goes to magic school and it will become an international bestseller.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
awwww don't listen to me. I haz teh bitchstupids. (<<actual medical condition; primarily presents as acting like a stupid bitch)

Oh, stopppits. :tongue

*licks yer face*

sluuuuurp.

yeesss...it's the only WIP I don't hate yet. :p I hit 75k today. aaahhhhh
Yay! If you're anything like me, "not hating it" is a pretty great place to be. :D

lol, be careful what you volunteer for ;)
You know me, Bu. I live for danger. :D

Books. Me, I'm doing good if I can push out a teeny little short story.

Er. I cannot, for the life of me, write a coherent short story. Every so often I can pull a descriptive piece of flash fiction out of my ass, but mastering a solid short story eludes me. I don't write novels because I have a lot of skill or sumthings, I write novels because I am excessively long-winded and am pretty much incapable of other formats. It's not that I don't like writing long -- I do -- but I also don't really have any other option at my current skill level! So you are way ahead of me by being able to craft a short, period. :tongue

My energy is consumed right now by a stressful drama in my house, in my life, and I have not yet learned how to keep enough for writing while it's going on and is this intense.

I do appreciate the comic relief very much. :D
I get that. :Hug2: And yeah, AW started out as a great resource, and now it's like . . . my stress relief. There are certain threads around this place that got me through some really shitty days, just because . . . ziggy people being ziggy, y'know? *hugs AW* D'awwwwwww. :e2arms:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
t'anks. Gawd it has gotten so bad I tear up when somebody is nice to me, for freaks sake.

grrrrrr.

quick, somebody tell a joke. :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give her some opposable thumbs and she'll write a memoir by the end of the day, I guarantee it. Then she will write a book about a cat that goes to magic school and it will become an international bestseller.

Awesome idea.

Ya think I can find them on E Bay?

:D

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
t'anks. Gawd it has gotten so bad I tear up when somebody is nice to me, for freaks sake.

grrrrrr.

Today while walking the dogs on the little path in the woods, one of them had some trouble pooping. A turd hung from his anus by a small hair. So natch I just pulled it out. Then this man's voice from RIGHT BEHIND ME goes "pickin' berries?"

...uuuhhhhhmmmm

(thankfully he was a jogger so he didn't stick around long to amplify my embarrassment)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score

grrrrrr.

I got my mind on my writing and my writing on my mind...(it's a new rap I'm making although it kinda sounds like another song...)

MysteriousFemme

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm working on an outline and I've entirely gutted a major part of the story where my mc learns what she is and is introduced to the supernatural world. How it happens has to be reworked it's putting me at a complete stand still.I don't know how to introduce her to it before she starts her training to master her powers.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I di'nt start nuffink! I don't like nekkidness. I aint even never been nekkid, so DONTCHEW BLAME ME, HATERS!!

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, stopppits. :tongue

*licks yer face*

sluuuuurp.

yeah, you just licked... ugh, i dun even wanna know. *voms*

Er. I cannot, for the life of me, write a coherent short story. Every so often I can pull a descriptive piece of flash fiction out of my ass, but mastering a solid short story eludes me. I don't write novels because I have a lot of skill or sumthings, I write novels because I am excessively long-winded and am pretty much incapable of other formats. It's not that I don't like writing long -- I do -- but I also don't really have any other option at my current skill level! So you are way ahead of me by being able to craft a short, period. :tongue

O rly? would never have guessed you suffer from verbal diarrhoea judging by that laconic reply :D

I get that. :Hug2: And yeah, AW started out as a great resource, and now it's like . . . my stress relief. There are certain threads around this place that got me through some really shitty days, just because . . . ziggy people being ziggy, y'know? *hugs AW* D'awwwwwww. :e2arms:

ugh, get awf meeee! Oh, the humanity - oh the herpes! No.... not the herpeeees!!!

Today while walking the dogs on the little path in the woods, one of them had some trouble pooping. A turd hung from his anus by a small hair. So natch I just pulled it out. Then this man's voice from RIGHT BEHIND ME goes "pickin' berries?"

...uuuhhhhhmmmm

(thankfully he was a jogger so he didn't stick around long to amplify my embarrassment)

well, that's me put off berries for life. and dogs. and jogging. and pretty much everything that featured in that crapfest of an anecdote. but especially you. *coughs up chunks*

Last edited by a moderator:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Finished with my first structural edit pass. Gawd, they cut a lot of material. But it was my own fault for foreshadowing every damn scene and plot point in the book--basically giving it all away before you get to the meat of the story. I don't what was on my mind, but I'll be cognizant of that type of mistake in the future.

Gonna do another fast line-by-line just to clean up the text for the proof-reader who'll come in later on down the line.

tri

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Letting the second draft incubate before giving another pass then off to betas!

Starting a novella, and I think I'm going to outline this one from the start. Pantsing is great, but I tend to end up with a lot of things to cut. So, I'll try outlining and see if I end up with a tighter first draft.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Almost at the ending-type parts of a second draft and I'm really not sure if I can make it through the events to come. I've been scared of having no words and scared of having really bad words plenty of times before, but this is new. I'm not sure I've ever been scared of reliving story events.

Yep, definitely new. I'm not scared of writing... well, no more scared of writing than usual. Now I'm scared of the story.

AllyKitten

Registered
Reaction score
Lost my voice. Bad news for someone whose job consists of answering the phone and hollering out orders half the day. Luckily it can't stop me from writing!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

...uuuhhhhhmmmm

Those hairs.... :ROFL:

Turn around and say, "Yep. Almost got enough for some dingleberry pie!" and give him a big grin. :D

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Had a great day yesterday and got lots accomplished. Although I've written well into my current WIP (historical set in ancient Babylon) my opening was still bugging me. I just wasn't satisfied and like a dog with a bone, I couldn't let it go. Yesterday, I got it right. Yay!

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
"Mmmmmmm . . . dingleberry pie. . ." said Kalli.

:)

I'ma gon gitchew, wench. *wittles stick to a point* Gitchew gud.

I'm in a holding pattern, waiting for beta feedback. Looking forward to getting back in there, fixing up my book.

I wouldn't hold your breath. They've probably all died of boredom.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold your breath. They've probably all died of boredom.

Who you calling bored? I'm just slow
careful
deliberate
slow, yes, I'll stick with slow.

I'm also in a holding pattern. As soon as I find some of my lost marbles, I'll be back to writing.

Did someone say pie?

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Lost my voice. Bad news for someone whose job consists of answering the phone and hollering out orders half the day. Luckily it can't stop me from writing!

LOL. Hope you feel better. Or not. ;)

Still working on prep for Nano, which fortunately isn't too taxing on my feeble brain. Just wrote a biography for an undead immortal mechanical chicken bill collector (a chicken bill-collector, not a chicken-bill collector) who communicates via a built-in dot-matrix printer that appends the words "or be destroyed" to every print-out. I figure that should give me plenty of fodder for word-count next month. :D

Last edited:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
What's on my mind at this very moment?

kalli -->:evil:scared:<-- kk

ap123 --> :kiss: <-- kk

ETA: about writing, cuz this thingie is relative to WRITING, I am feeling hopeful and excited and very blessed indeed. :)

Last edited:

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Just hit 40K on my WIP this morning, which makes me supremely happy. I never really believed I'd get this far... my history of persevering with anything is scrappy, to say the least. But I'm feeling like this might be the one - my life as 'a writer' is finally beginning. :)

On my mind, on my mind... at the roughly half-way point, I worry I've taken way too long to get certain plot points down, and am concerned that some essential (and quite involved) backstory remains to be told. I've been editing as I go, which I kind of regret now as a process - 'perfecting' has taken a lot of time, and so much of what I've written so far will, I fear, have to be chucked or drastically reworked in the second draft. For the back end of the book I've decided to try a 'fast and loose' approach, which I'm feeling relatively confident about, given that I now know basically what's going to happen (which I certainly didn't at the start! Yes, I'm a pantser).

Good luck with all your WIPs / writing projects, AWers!