The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 502 of 502 FirstFirst ... 2252402427452477492496497498499500501502
Results 12,526 to 12,529 of 12529

Thread: What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I really wanted to sink my claws in and begin the second draft round but today was so draining at work that I'm exhausted. I'm a teacher, and often my job uses up all my creative energy through lesson planning and material creation. Has anyone else dealt with a massive energy drain at work impacting their writing drive and motivation? Any tips? It's killing my speed and timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by heykatydid View Post
    I really wanted to sink my claws in and begin the second draft round but today was so draining at work that I'm exhausted. I'm a teacher, and often my job uses up all my creative energy through lesson planning and material creation. Has anyone else dealt with a massive energy drain at work impacting their writing drive and motivation? Any tips? It's killing my speed and timeline.
    I have the same problem. Job is mentally but not physically demanding, so getting home every night to find the creative energy troughing after the drive, and the reverse school run, and supermarket trauma, and sorting dinner, and the constant laundry that has to be done daily. By the time the kids wind down its gone ten o'clock, and I haven't even the cognitive energy to resolve the beer/wine dilemma, let alone immerse myself in my fictions.

My only tip I can offer, that has worked for me, to get through the drain and put words on the page is this: Make yourself do it.

As for me, right now, I'm trying something new, a fresh approach to discipline, and restarting the book from t beginning, one scene at a time. One scene finished and polished before I start the next. Its worth a shot I suppose.

Yes, story of my life - I sympathize greatly. My day job tires me out mentally. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that any work on the novel at all that I get done on a weekday is gravy. The bulk of my novel is written on weekends. I do endeavor to discipline myself into regular writing on the weekdays, even if it's just a 15-minute or 30-minute session - but I'm being kind to myself if I can't manage it.

practical experience, FTW amillimiles's Avatar
    Totally sympathetic. I work 12-hour days on average in finance, so all the spreadsheets, modeling, pitch decks, and client meetings really drain me during the week. I typically get home at around 7-9PM, and by the time I've relaxed enough to get out of "work mode"/get my creative juices running, it's 10PM and time for bed. I write best at night, but some days my work is so draining that I just don't have the energy or the juice to get going.

The only thing I can tell myself is that I love writing, and I just need to get a book published. I'm on my third re-write of the current MS; it's both easier and harder compared to a first draft in several different aspects. It's easier in that I have a really good sense of direction as to where this story is going (since I've already written it twice and am now shaping it up to the best structure possible after several beta readers' comments). It's harder in that I can't just "put words on the page" anymore -- anything I write has to be at least passably good, since it's a third draft. There will definitely be rounds of revisions to come, but right now, I just have to finish this.

We can do this!
    https://amillipages.wordpress.com/
    My blog on writing techniques and analyses of published authors' works to illustrate how to best execute these techniques.

WIP

Blood Heir: YA fantasy/high fantasy, ~110,000 words. Sample.

Page 502 of 502 FirstFirst ... 2252402427452477492496497498499500501502