AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 530 of 530 FirstFirst ... 30280430455480505520524525526527528529530
Results 13,226 to 13,247 of 13247

Thread: What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

practical experience, FTW indianroads's Avatar
    Currently writing letters from all my characters (of my new WIP) to me. They tell me about their lives, and I get to pick up on their personalities, along with favorite words and phrases.

Gotta get my wife to check the letters from female characters - I want to get the speech cadence and phrasing right... she's also good at telling me when I have the female POV completely wrong, then telling me how to fix it.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin altoid967's Avatar
    I outlined a story I found in an old notebook. I have the major components bullet pointed from beginning to end. I'm debating if I should engage in more planning (fleshing out characters and events more) or just dive right in. Part of me wants to keep planning. But that's also the part of me that's a little afraid to fail.

It's taken me years to finally get going. My original idea from late 2013 has evolved a lot since then, but I have finally sat down during NaNoWriMo and written my first draft. It's super exciting, but... I've gone back to the beginning and tried revising a little, and I'm having a hard time with the amounts of description.

I guess it should be called world building. There's special circumstances and I feel like every few paragraphs I'm stopping to explain something. I'm trying to jump right into the action, but I feel like the action (which involves a sort of magic) itself needs explaining. And my MC has met up with a family with their own problems (years ago, one of their infant children went missing) so I feel like I'm explaining their backstory as well. Ugh.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin thehansell's Avatar
    I've been thinking about story structure a lot lately, since it's a weakness that's sent more than a few of my projects careening off road into the dustbin of unfinished stories (sorry for the mixed metaphor). I recently listened to the audiobook version of The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, and while it includes a million little tools for understanding and crafting stories it's a book that does not reveal all its secrets on a first read through (or listen through, in my case).

For now, Dan Harmon's story circle (You-Need-Go-Search-Find-Take-Return-Change) is proving a useful and simplified version, and I've been exploring whether my current WIP can be negotiated into this structure if I look at it from the right angle. What I've found: it's an excellent way to ensure my themes are present throughout and that my protagonist's goals and character development don't yo-yo all over the place.

There. That's my thought of the day.

just finished writing the first draft of my annual self-evaluation... it may not be a best-seller, but at least it's still fiction
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PREPARING TO SUB: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    NANOWRIMO '17!: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edutton View Post
    just finished writing the first draft of my annual self-evaluation... it may not be a best-seller, but at least it's still fiction
    Vivere militare est.

practical experience, FTW Punk28's Avatar
    I feel that my inability to move past chapter 22 lies strictly with the chapter in question. I know how its suppose to be written, but I hit a wall when I go to write in the details; the same occurs when I go to edit the chapter. If not for this chapter being so pivotal to the story, and it needing to be done before the following one gets worked on, I'd move on to chapter 23 then come back to this one at a later date.

I'm in a misty field without a flashlight and need some help to get out of it!
    Write what's in your heart, let your fingers take over, let your brain "nap" while you write so you're not sidetracked.

Completed WIP: The Door In The Mist, The Shadower, The Misty Fire, and Smoldering Embers
    Current Works: Duru's Memoir: The Chronicle of a Surfeit and Turmoil

When will I be motivated to start writing again.
    _____
    "Good things come to those who work their asses off and never give up."
    "Cash at Home Series." "Entrepreneurs' Guide to Direct Mail Order"

practical experience, FTW TellMeAStory's Avatar
    Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful escape.
    Lily, a private duty nurse in 1938, will be assigned to carry out some charlatan doctor's cure for habitual inebriation. It involves injecting the patient with "solubilized gold," but Lily was good at chemistry, and knows that can't be.

And yet, her success as a nurse depends on the status of her patient.

What, oh what will Lily do?

I'm on the last edit of my historical. I've said that before, but this time it's a reality--unless I can find a beta reader. But, apparently, no one wants to critique a historical romance. I don't blame them. I won't touch erotica or stories about demons of The Exorcist variety. Anyway, I've got to let this book go sometime or other and it may as well be by January.
    The only thing you can't fix is a blank page.--Bonnie Hearn Hill

BLOGS

Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    It's been a long time since I've written anything. Between my depression and work and school, it's been tough to make time.

I can't get my head around this structural re-edit and the clock is ticking, as they say.
    "Though one evil spirit may drive a woman out of Eden, all the devils in hell cannot drive Heaven out of a woman."

-- George MacDonald

I finally found a beta reader! YaY!

BLOGS

Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

practical experience, FTW Raindrop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindyt View Post
    I finally found a beta reader! YaY!
    Well done, Cindy! I was crossing my fingers that you would, when I saw your thread!

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    Writing songs to help strengthen world-building is really hard, especially when you're a lousy poet.
    Check out my published work here!

Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature Reservoir Angel's Avatar
    When people say that you need to read more to write better, does that apply only to reading things of the genre you wish to write?

practical experience, FTW Simpson17866's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Angel View Post
    When people say that you need to read more to write better, does that apply only to reading things of the genre you wish to write?
    The Beatles became powerhouses of popular music by studying wildly different styles from around the world

I don't even think about genre. If it's a good story I read it.

BLOGS

Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

practical experience, FTW
    Starting something new, and
    OH
    MY
    GAHHHHHHHHHH
    such garbage.

I *know* I'll get to the point where I know my characters well and the words will flow freely like a drunken piss in a darkened alley, but for now, I feel like everything is forced and my writing is garbage. I hate hate HATE beginnings. *hulksmashes everything*

practical experience, FTW Simpson17866's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindyt View Post
    I don't even think about genre. If it's a good story I read it.
    Funny story about that

David Fincher made a movie in 1995 starring Morgan Freeman. In setting up a test audience, the advertising agency emphasized Driving Ms. Daisy as a movie that Morgan Freeman had worked in previously, ending up with a test audience of people who enjoyed Driving Ms. Daisy.

After a test showing, Fincher over-heard a middle-aged woman – who clearly did not recognize him – walking out of the theater telling her friends that whoever made the movie should've been shot.

Can you guess where the advertising agency made their mistake

figuring it all out
    For me I would say reading literary fiction has helped find my voice even though it's not what I plan to write at all really.
    Last edited by Testome; Today at 09:00 AM.

practical experience, FTW Punk28's Avatar
    While I'm one for branching out into other genres, and seeing if they help in what your doing, I'd say remaining in your comfort or interest zone also works. I'll be writing a Sci-Fi with elements of romance thrown in for flavor soon but you won't find me going anywhere near anything romance-related (it's odd, but I can write romance but not read it).

Not sure, but think I found a way past my Block. When I went back to read through what I edited of chapter 22, I found it so uninteresting that it bored me, so I returned to how the chapter was originally written then started over. So far, looks like what I've done is good and I've hit no roadblocks or anything to stop me from progressing further. Fingers crossed on being able to finish this chapter, because I do need to get back to this story and get it finished.
    Write what's in your heart, let your fingers take over, let your brain "nap" while you write so you're not sidetracked.

Completed WIP: The Door In The Mist, The Shadower, The Misty Fire, and Smoldering Embers
    Current Works: Duru's Memoir: The Chronicle of a Surfeit and Turmoil

Page 530 of 530 FirstFirst ... 30280430455480505520524525526527528529530