Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 519 of 519 FirstFirst ... 19269419444469494509513514515516517518519
Results 12,951 to 12,959 of 12959

Thread: What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

practical experience, FTW
    I am 34K into my first draft of my novel. The original concept was a wish fulfillment fantasy, to stay forever on my laptop and to never be published unless posthumously (there are reasons for everything in this sentence. Leave me alone). A is poor and estranged from her family. She meets N, who is old money and has a wonderful family. They go through some trials before getting their HEA.

I have a romantic drama on my hands instead that is jammed full of conflict and sadness. I'm just now getting to write about N's wealth and how close she is to her family, but this -is not- wish fulfillment. It's not character torture, either. It's realistic and it makes me so sad. N's wealth and her family aren't making things any better; they're just accidentally highlighting that A is estranged from her family with no chance of reconciliation and she is unlikely to get out of her current financial situation. The second draft will look at themes I wanted to gloss over but can't. It might be even sadder.
    I'm happy that I'm writing this, though.

practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    I hope that I can start writing again now that my work schedule is easing up. Work completely sucks the life out of me.

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    Finished typing the first 20,000 words of my children's WIP. Might take a quick breather to finish a science fiction story, and while I don't usually do it during a novel, the next section is going to have to go a little slower, as it is only in second-draft form.
    Last edited by Taylor Harbin; 08-15-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    Check out my published work here!

Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by rwm4768 View Post
    #3 on Amazon, #5 on Goodreads. Everything else is 4 or 5 stars, but that one review really brings down my average.
    My first and only one star review described my book as choppy and morbid. It's about a future where assisted suicide is normalized. It says so in the blurb. How could it NOT be morbid?? Sigh.

I just finished editing the third draft of my latest novel and sent it to beta readers, and now I'm cracking open the very first novel I ever wrote. My kind first editor (my husband) tore it to shreds six or seven years ago and I'm trying to salvage it. I don't know if I should just give up and start something new or keep at it. I've cut 20k words so far and am stuck on a scene about 20k words in.

UGH. I spent HOURS trying to get through this short story and only got five pages written. Why is this one so hard? I had an outline written on paper, plot points mapped, and know how it ends. But the words just aren't flowing like I thought they would. I'm tired, yes, but even so, I expected today's progress to feel​ like progress.

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    All this politics is distracting me. I must get back to editing.

practical experience, FTW Punk28's Avatar
    Slowly, very slowly, getting through chapter 11. There's just so much to this chapter that needs fixing, which is why it's coming along slower than the previous 10. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the "which" and "that" words (in the first edit, there's a "which" which seems to not belong there yet, when I put "that" in its place, it also doesn't seem to fit). I shall get through this chapter... one day, and hopefully with my sanity intact.
    Write what's in your heart, let your fingers take over, let your brain "nap" while you write so you're not sidetracked.

Completed WIP: The Door In The Mist, The Shadower, The Misty Fire, and Smoldering Embers
    Current Works: Duru's Memoir: The Chronicle of a Surfeit and Turmoil

practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaeZe View Post
    All this politics is distracting me. I must get back to editing.
    I know that feeling. Between politics and my normal life, I'm really struggling with my depression at the moment. I've barely been writing or editing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm4768 View Post
    I know that feeling. Between politics and my normal life, I'm really struggling with my depression at the moment. I've barely been writing or editing anything.
    Do you have any light-hearted stuff you can read?

Page 519 of 519 FirstFirst ... 19269419444469494509513514515516517518519