• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I accepted the third draft of my completed work now need to get over the two little things that are bogging me down before going on to the next work that needs completing (my heart always flutters and I always feel a bit depressed after finishing a writing project).

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I've a new character to interweave in to the existing chapters, and then despatch unexpectedly in the name of foreshadowing. Might be tricky because of the current dynamic, but worth the effort I think.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I've realised that my two main characters are following similar arcs, one focusing on the mental aspects, the other on the physical ones.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
That it probably says a lot about my confidence level that I'm currently looking up pictures of other writers' notebooks to get myself into the state of mine where I'm comfortable just going nuts with the mad idea-flowing scribbling in my own.

I mean, look at this. It's madness. I love it.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I need to do some research on WWI to continue with the next chapter to see if what I have in mind is even plausible, but I am lazy and don't want to do the work. I need to find someone who has keen knowledge of that time so I can pick their brain.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how much writing time I'll have in the near future. School will require a lot of my time. So will moving.

I'm not even sure how much I still want to be a writer (or at least a published writer). I mean, I enjoy writing. It's one of my favorite things. But there are times when I wonder if I should just write for myself and my small group of readers. It's tough because I've worked a lot to improve, and I think I could find success as a professional writer. But I also know that there's a certain element of luck involved in that, even when you've done everything right.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Made some good progress today. Some of the scenes are rough, and one of them ended up too long, but that's what editing is for. About to start editing a bunch of the new stuff I wrote.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I made some research progress. Finally discovered that the verse I want to use for Part Four is in the public domain. Praise God. I've polished up one of the last Part Three scenes. My goal for this morning is to write deep into Chapter 30. (It's going to be longish. I like to stay on a chapter until it's particular conflict is either resolved or leads into another.

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Made some DAMN good progress tonight, the first time in forever the story just ran away with me! I pushed through the urge to stop and just kept going and the words wouldn't stop. So exciting!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I need to do some research on WWI to continue with the next chapter to see if what I have in mind is even plausible, but I am lazy and don't want to do the work. I need to find someone who has keen knowledge of that time so I can pick their brain.

I'm working on a book on WWI, so I've done lots of research. You should check out the YouTube channel The Great War. It's updated weekly as the events of the war unfolded weekly 100 years prior.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I tried and tried to delete this post, but it will NOT go away.

This message it to CHOMPERS: I pm'd you, but your mailbox is spilling over and can hold no more. :)

Sorry! I've cleared it out some now.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
The first part of my new, current editing project was done tonight. I do love how certain people, who are related to me and who don't seem to understand why I have an interest in doing what I'm doing, are trying to cause me to put in the formal retirement slip. My aunt, as of yesterday, said just as my father did in my "hobby" not having anything to it and that I should forget about it because no one reads anymore (now I know that this is the biggest lie that I've ever heard!)

I do what I do because I like and enjoy it, and because I'm a creative person who does need to express myself, and, if I didn't write, I'd go crazy. I shall continue as I am with what I've been given to do.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Gave myself permission to stop futzing about with Chapter El Stupido and move on to the next one. AHH! freedom. funness. progress.

Alary

Registered
Reaction score
Currently struggling with writing a dazed POV character who's so overwhelmed by what's happening that he can't think straight. I keep slipping into telling because I can't figure out how to show it. -frustrated sigh-

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I'm working on a book on WWI, so I've done lots of research. You should check out the YouTube channel The Great War. It's updated weekly as the events of the war unfolded weekly 100 years prior.

Thanks, Chompers! I'll check it out. And if you don't mind, I'll probably private message you some questions in the near future. I need to get my thoughts and questions around that I'd like to ask first.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Stuck in the bottom chapters establishing mood, world building, setting, creating bonds between the characters and the reader, investing them, amusing them as my creations bumble from one amusing mishap to another, as I discreetly seed the clues to the mystery of the universe, before I crack it wide open.

Here I am writing a mild verbal altication at a supermarket check out, when there are space ships hidden about them. I want to get to the spaceships. Spaceships!

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Almost.
done.
editing.
*drags self away from computer and crawls into bed*
Someone wake me up when it's over.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Finally figured out how to fill a gap in the story in the second half, so that's good. I'll have to figure out the specifics as I keep writing, but it should help set up the events that kick off Act 3 very nicely.

Almost.
done.
editing.
*drags self away from computer and crawls into bed*
Someone wake me up when it's over.

You can do it! :D