• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Which ending to use. That is what is on my mind. On my mind. On my mind. I can hardly think of anything else.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I had two publisher submissions left on one book. Got a rejection on one of them. One left and that's it, then that ms is through. I can't find any publishers worth submitting to. Maybe this is a sign. There's got to be a reason...because it sucks, that's why. haha

I'm losing it, or it's already lost and I'm stuck looking for it. I'm so directionless.

You guys are so sweet with all your comments. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I'm so proud of this thread. And I made it years ago. I always get a warm fuzzy feeling here. lol

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I can't find any publishers worth submitting to. Maybe this is a sign.

Maybe take it as a sign to self-publish?
(I'm not sure if you're for or against SP but I thought it would be worth saying. Don't give up hope.)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to begin on the self-publishing side. I know the editing would have to be sterling. And the marketing would have to be a really good plan too. I don't know if I could afford it either. That fear of not breaking even or making a profit, I'd be heartbroken and feel bad I put my family in dept. We live paycheck to paycheck, that's it. There really is no room after the bills and groceries are paid.

Writing is an obsession for me. I've tried to give it up, it won't let me. Plus I need to just write regardless what happens to it, otherwise I'll go manic. So it does have it's uses. I have relaxed on submitting things though. I'm supposed to develop thick skin, instead it sheds just a little more each time.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I wouldn't know where to begin on the self-publishing side. I know the editing would have to be sterling. And the marketing would have to be a really good plan too. I don't know if I could afford it either. That fear of not breaking even or making a profit, I'd be heartbroken and feel bad I put my family in dept. We live paycheck to paycheck, that's it. There really is no room after the bills and groceries are paid.

Writing is an obsession for me. I've tried to give it up, it won't let me. Plus I need to just write regardless what happens to it, otherwise I'll go manic. So it does have it's uses. I have relaxed on submitting things though. I'm supposed to develop thick skin, instead it sheds just a little more each time.

You'll get through it, lil bud. I love this thread too. I can cheer or damn, and it seems so many have gone before me and so many I know will come after. We're not alone in this shite. We NEED to vent--it's a form of release--the lid off the pressure cooker.

I reached 32,400 and hit a solid frickin wall. I mean Wall of China wall. This one's bad as far as blockage, even worst than my recent bowel blockage. I need more plot and more scenes and have to find it somewhere, anywhere!

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score

I don't think it would hurt if you researched it a little. I would give you links but the husband is playing an FPS and every time I reload AW he rages at the intense lag. But there are some good resources out there to help you along with your decision. You could probably get away with doing the editing yourself and plugging your book by having a good social media presence.

I've seen some bad, bad stories on kindle and they sell like hotcakes. I plan on going down the SP road and I'm nervous about it but I can't be waiting around for a agent or publisher to accept or reject me. My husband works so I can write and at the moment he's bouncing from job to job trying to make a living. We're having to beg, borrow and steal just to feed ourselves so I know what it's like. I just think SP might be a way to get your name out there and earn a little money as well. Obviously it's not for everyone, I just thought it was worth saying, you know?

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to hammer it home to myself that the 1st Draft isn't remotely supposed to be anything like perfect. It's just so paralyzing. Logically I know that any 1st Draft I write is going to be full of stuff that's wrong, that doesn't need to be there, missing stuff that does, and just generally held together with cheap glue and elastic bands until I plaster over it on the revision stages.

But at the same time I so desperately want this to be good that I just have real trouble letting anything less than amazing stick around and have real problems moving on until everything already written is as good as I think I can make it. I'm essentially trying to write every draft all at once.

No wonder I'm not getting anywhere, and no wonder that blank page laughs at me behind my back. Because I know it does.

Queen Yinin

Newbie writer in over her head...
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've blown a fuse. Last week I wrote 10,000 words, then yesterday and today I woke up with massive headaches and a complete inability to write anything.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to hammer it home to myself that the 1st Draft isn't remotely supposed to be anything like perfect. It's just so paralyzing. Logically I know that any 1st Draft I write is going to be full of stuff that's wrong, that doesn't need to be there, missing stuff that does, and just generally held together with cheap glue and elastic bands until I plaster over it on the revision stages.

But at the same time I so desperately want this to be good that I just have real trouble letting anything less than amazing stick around and have real problems moving on until everything already written is as good as I think I can make it. I'm essentially trying to write every draft all at once.

No wonder I'm not getting anywhere, and no wonder that blank page laughs at me behind my back. Because I know it does.

Stop pressuring yourself. Just have fun writing the first draft. Enjoy the journey and stop worrying if it'll turn out perfect.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com

I feel your pain. I'm exactly the same. I can't move on until it's the best I can make it. On a positive note, although it took longer to get that first draft done, revisions didn't take long at all. I think it's a matter of where you want to spend the time - shaping it pretty carefully the first time or reshaping it later on.

Last edited:

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I'm exactly the same. I can't move on until it's the best I can make it. On a positive note, although it took longer to get that first draft done, revisions didn't take long at all. I think it's a matter of where you want to spend the time - shaping it pretty carefully the first time or reshaping it later on.
Well shaping it carefully the first time is a tactic that for me has abysmally failed in every possible way. So I reckon I'm going to try and just get the thing down in any form it comes to me and work out the hideous problems later.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Well shaping it carefully the first time is a tactic that for me has abysmally failed in every possible way. So I reckon I'm going to try and just get the thing down in any form it comes to me and work out the hideous problems later.

This is something that I am working through at the moment, too. I've put my series on pause as I feel it needs to be perfect and in the mean time I am writing something that has been on the back burner for about a year. This story isn't as intricate and I feel I can step away from perfection and just get it out. Yesterday I wrote 4k and today, so far, I've done 4k as well. Surprising me how much I've been able to get done when I just blast through it.

Queen Yinin

Newbie writer in over her head...
Registered
Reaction score

That's my plan! :D I figure even bad words on a page are better than no words on a page. Although, mine are pretty bad...

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
That's my plan! :D I figure even bad words on a page are better than no words on a page. Although, mine are pretty bad...

LOL. We all work so differently. I don't pay much attention to word count. Some days I'll write thousands of words in one sitting, just flying along. Another day I'll agonize over a single paragraph. And that's okay with me.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so this weekend, I filled a plot hole, added an ending to a subplot thread, and tried to make everything shiny for a beta. I still need more betas though. Volunteers? The whole book is ready, I promise.

So while I wait, I'm going to start researching agents, fixing up the old query letter and synopsis...and OMG. This is the most terrifying part! :cry:

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
And how are you over using "had" and "that"? They both are essential structural words.

I know that but, from what I've been told by my betas, too many HAD'S and THAT'S can constrict the flow of the story that you're trying to do.

"Using too many had's and that's can be bad; remember, too much use of one word can make the flow of a story become dull. Switch had to was a few times and you'll have a much better flowing story".

That's what I was told, don't know if it's true but I'll give it a try.

Wrote 3000 words today. I want to write more but I have to go to bed. My day job calls me. Hope that what I've written is good, I'll see tomorrow after I get home from work.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yes, guilty here of editing a ton while I'm in first draft mode. I do that because I want to catch blunders right away without having to make heavy notes, or leave out anything significant. I also do this so I won't get the plot stuck or wandering all over the place. It's just a back-read--a double-check to make sure everything is fitting together. I wouldn't feel bad about it. It's like being a defensive driver or keeping your eyes moving whilst flying a plane.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
When I'm trying to make myself sit down and write a fantasy story, I need to stop watching loads of science fiction. It's not helped by having a couple of stray science-fiction ideas rattling around in my brain that now desperately want to be freed from their chaotic prison.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I have a major loose end . . . more like a loose noose. I'm not sure how to get rid it of without hanging a few thousand more words onto the book. Believe me, I have far too many words already.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
This prequel novella is rolling along pretty quick, but I'm struggling to find time to write it.

It's like I have two modes:

(1) I feel inspired, but don't have time to write.
(2) I have time to write, but don't feel inspired.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have third mode. Inspired, got time, but no energy.

Lately I been thinking about switching my mc and fmc view points. It's first person but the narrative voice is a bit schitz.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
11,000 words in 3 days. Not sure what's going on, I've never written so much before. Not that I'm complaining, mind.