bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 526 of 526 FirstFirst ... 26276426451476501516520521522523524525526
Results 13,126 to 13,137 of 13137

Thread: What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Polydactyl Landshrimp underpope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CalRazor View Post
    I have a hunch that if I write something Lovecraftian, I'll get published. Do I really want to go down that road, though?
    Depends on what you do with it. I don't see many markets for Lovecraftian horror, and even my Hastur-and-Nodens-Pull-Off-a-Bank-Heist story is having a really hard time finding a home.
    -----
    Richard S. Crawford: Code monkey by day, word monkey by night
    Website/Blog: www.underpope.com
    For your reading pleasure, a wee horror novella: The Winds of Patwin County

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by underpope View Post
    Depends on what you do with it. I don't see many markets for Lovecraftian horror, and even my Hastur-and-Nodens-Pull-Off-a-Bank-Heist story is having a really hard time finding a home.
    I was more referring to the short story market where (from my perspective) there seems a decent demand for that kind of thing. While I don't consider myself much of a genre writer, I could see myself writing in that vein. But yeah, with novels I could see that being more difficult. Unless you're the King.

practical experience, FTW Punk28's Avatar
    Got through the basic outline of my WIP's second part. Tomorrow, I work to get through chapter 13 then, hopefully, work on chapters 14-25. It's just time to get this thing on the roll... past time, actually.
    Write what's in your heart, let your fingers take over, let your brain "nap" while you write so you're not sidetracked.

Completed WIP: The Door In The Mist, The Shadower, The Misty Fire, and Smoldering Embers
    Current Works: Duru's Memoir: The Chronicle of a Surfeit and Turmoil

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Feeling positive as I get through Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go by Les Edgerton, that it will help me with final editing. I feel like I'm closer to finishing the book as I want it to be.

Hey, what's seven years of your life, it's the thing you end up with that matters.
    Last edited by MaeZe; Yesterday at 09:43 AM.

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    Just got a review on a story (reader is not on this website) and it's clear that the reader's comprehension is absolutely abysmal. They claim they don't know who the protagonist is, what their goals are, etc, when I clearly spelled it out both in narration and dialogue.
    Check out my published work here!

Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Harbin View Post
    Just got a review on a story (reader is not on this website) and it's clear that the reader's comprehension is absolutely abysmal. They claim they don't know who the protagonist is, what their goals are, etc, when I clearly spelled it out both in narration and dialogue.
    I once beta-read a friend's first novel, and when I started giving her comments about halfway through, it became clear that I had completely failed to identify the protagonist - I had decided the story was about character X, when she intended it to be about character Y, who hadn't really caught my interest at all. And of course the feedback I gave her was utterly beside the point and nonsensical to her.

You might think this was a weakness in her writing but I'm inclined to give my friend the benefit of the doubt, and state as you do with respect to your reviewer that it was a failure of my reading comprehension. I came to the story with certain assumptions (for instance, that the protagonist would be a woman) and with poor knowledge of the conventions of her genre (it's a space opera) and so I read the whole thing sideways. I'm confident that I was wrong because she has gone on to become a quite successful author of self-published space operas.

--

Okay as to what's on my mind about my own writing: I had a lovely little incident / exchange that I wrote down months and months ago, and i've just finally reached the point in the novel where it occurs, and realized that the scene is stronger if it doesn't occur at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Harbin View Post
    Well that made me laugh. I think we have all had similar experiences.

You want to shout:
    What? Were you reading the words I wrote or someone else's?
    What? Did you forget this takes place in ancient times?
    What? This is not a romance.
    What? There's no dog in the story.

Just find yourself a sober reader.

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WriteMinded View Post
    Well that made me laugh. I think we have all had similar experiences.

You want to shout:
    What? Were you reading the words I wrote or someone else's?
    What? Did you forget this takes place in ancient times?
    What? This is not a romance.
    What? There's no dog in the story.

Just find yourself a sober reader.
    If I had had any choice I would.

The One Who Tells The Story relletyrots's Avatar
    Where stories are born, and dreams are put to bed.
    I love my plot very much, but for some time now, I've felt as if there were something missing. Moreover, the novel was turning out to be shorter than expected. Today, I realized I'm only telling half the story. I added a POV character, which will tie in to the main plot beautifully in the final chapters, and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. I'm so happy, though I have a lot more writing to do now . . .

So, it's really like they say. Sometimes you just have to look at it from a different perspective
    Last edited by relletyrots; Today at 03:46 AM.

practical experience, FTW JeanGenie's Avatar
    Wondering what counts as a first draft....just completed the MS (wrote the ending) but the first half has been edited at least 10 times, the first chapter 20. When will it ever stop?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Back from the dream world to reality. What do you have in reality? Sandwiches and mundane decisions.

practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
    Wondering what counts as a first draft....just completed the MS (wrote the ending) but the first half has been edited at least 10 times, the first chapter 20. When will it ever stop?
    Don't worry about counting drafts. Everybody has their own process.

Page 526 of 526 FirstFirst ... 26276426451476501516520521522523524525526