Krampus and St. Nicholas

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 534 of 536 FirstFirst ... 34284434459484509524528529530531532533534535536 LastLast
Results 13,326 to 13,350 of 13396

Thread: What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Finished transferring the latest version of the historical to WORKS so I can go over it and then print it up during the awful few days when I'm waiting for an internet rehook. (I'm moving tomorrow.) I'm hoping by that time my beta reader with have feedback for me.
    The only thing you can't fix is a blank page.--Bonnie Hearn Hill

BLOGS

Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Angel View Post
    Is it bad to admit on a writer's forum that ever since my schooldays I've hated reading poetry?
    Me too, except for Poe, and occasional poems that I read out loud.

In re: my own writing, I am reading a wonderful book written by a British woman. I realized I write from an incredibly American perspective, my world has been rocked in a bad way which is good for personal growth, and when I finish my current play, I will desperately need a very patient Brit-picker. (What an unwieldy sentence.)
    Last edited by iszevthere; 12-02-2017 at 01:49 PM. Reason: hit the reply button too fast

Bring me a knitting needle. Atalanta's Avatar
    @Harlequin
    @blackcat777

You two have got my brain buzzing. Bonus: I now know what extradiegetic means.

All five of these characters are losers (by my definition). The story gives them each a chance at redemption. Who doesn't lie to themselves about something, especially something shameful? The idea that all five are lying would take the pressure off the primary character. There has to be a way to pull this off. I love flawed characters, and these are all flawed characters.

The crux of the story is that the MC has a cursed object she has to return. In theory, she gets these four people to help her do it by telling them they're going to STEAL the object, which is valuable. So she either has to hide the object from them (and the reader) or tell them it's something else.

I still don't know how it ends, beyond betrayal, of course. It's not a serious story, more of an adventure. At least now I have some ideas bouncing around. Thanks for the inspiration.

Work in Progress:
    Five Losers in a Dungeon - prepping, prepping, prepping

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    I'm thinking about incorporating the best snippets from your real life into your fiction to accentuate its purity, its authenticity: its power.
    Vivere militare est.

practical experience, FTW Punk28's Avatar
    Stopped writing the fanfiction after deciding to get serious on it. Now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go back to the more important story that I'm writing, finish the editing of it, before going back to the fanfiction. I really *do* want to finish Duru's Memoir, dangit!
    Write what's in your heart, let your fingers take over, let your brain "nap" while you write so you're not sidetracked.

Completed WIP: The Door In The Mist, The Shadower, The Misty Fire, and Smoldering Embers
    Current Works: Duru's Memoir: The Chronicle of a Surfeit and Turmoil

practical experience, FTW Simpson17866's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Punk28 View Post
    Stopped writing the fanfiction after deciding to get serious on it. Now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go back to the more important story that I'm writing, finish the editing of it, before going back to the fanfiction.
    That's what I'll be doing

I've written the first installment of a 4-part Doctor Who fic, and I'm 62k words into my first original novel. Once I finish my second book, I'll start working on the second Who story alongside the third original one

One of my losers went from a one-word description -- "nobleman" -- to instantly having a backstory so funny and pathetic I could write an entire novel about just him. His story popped out in complete form, like Athena from Zeus's forehead. I'm not writing his story though. Not in its entirety anyway. I have two left now, and no ideas. I guess I have to spend more time thinking about what makes someone a loser. Haha.

Work in Progress:

Bored... lacking in ideas and in a reading slump - which is why I am in a writing slump
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.” ― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature Reservoir Angel's Avatar
    Watching too much of the CW's Arrowverse lately has given me the urge to write urban fantasy superhero-style stories but where the superheroes use magical forces rather than science-based superpowers.

Like I don't have enough on my plate right now.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Not even sure anyone will like my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CalRazor View Post
    I know for a fact that nobody likes mine, but I'm still writing. I've had to pull back from my goal of getting published and, frankly, it's done me a world of good. I wrote my last novel strictly for myself and it's the best thing I've ever written. Now I'm writing another one and I'm flinging fun ideas around like finger-paint. It's awesome. I may never get published but I'm having a damn good time.

Work in Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by CalRazor View Post
    I was always under the impression that this is what every writer thinks about all their work all the time.

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    My eye for what will be successful when it comes to my writing is terrible - a blind spot if you like.

Case in point, my SIGILS AND TOTEMS idea.

BROKEN SIGIL, which was my first entry in what I hoped would be a breakout idea for me, was pretty well received, but it's been a case of diminishing returns with the rest of the works since then. PENTACLE and THE JOB slipped quickly into obscurity, and my big hope, the novel SONGS OF DREAMING GODS, has similarly sunk without much of a trace with only a couple of fairly lukewarm reviews to show for its passing.

Some of the short stories using the concept have fared better, but on the whole, I think what I have now is a dead duck. I have a longish list of ideas to stretch the concept in different directions, but unless something changes, and I don't think it will, they'll never get written. As a full time writer, I can't afford to drop any more effort into something that's not selling.

Which is a shame, as I really, really, thought I was on to something.

Shows you how much I know.

At this point I'm considering just picking an idea at random from the huge, overflowing bucket of random ideas that I keep stored in the dark corner of my mind and just start writing it, pantster style. Just to actually get myself back in the flow of trying to write rather than just being constantly paralysed by indecisive planning details.

Each time I want to write, I find my idea boring - even though at first, it seems exciting.

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    Just finished what is perhaps the most painful story I've written yet.

practical experience, FTW Jan74's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Harbin View Post
    Just finished what is perhaps the most painful story I've written yet.
    Congrats on finishing!

I'm getting to the action part of my wip, my antagonists are coming out to play

"You fail only if you stop writing" ~Ray Bradbury~
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs" ~Stephen King~
    WIP Dark Romance
    "If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word." ~Margaret Atwood~
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." ~Mary Angelou~

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan74 View Post
    Congrats on finishing!

I'm getting to the action part of my wip, my antagonists are coming out to play
    Thanks. Painful not for lack of words but dredging up the worst parts of myself.

The longest work that I have completed is a 63k word Doctor Who fanfic.

Today, my Urban Fantasy WIP just beat that

There's a stick up there Kjbartolotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Harbin View Post
    Thanks. Painful not for lack of words but dredging up the worst parts of myself.
    "A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us."
    -Kafka

Just having a horrible time finishing the thing I started for NaNo. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself that it needs to be good, maybe I shouldn't have used the exercise for the thing I most wanted to work on. Maybe it's fine and writing is hard work.

I'm having a lot of stress over the 'then I did this, then I did that,' at work. The MC just drifts along, asking questions, moving from one place to the next, at some point they'll get where they're going, but not because they did anything beyond put one foot in front of the other. It's disconcerting.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin J.T. Marsh's Avatar
    Hard at work finding distractions from being hard at work. This internet thing, I'm not so sure it'll take off. A deadline in forty days and I just know I'll get 90% of the work that's yet to be done in the last weekend.
    Twitter: @jtmarshauthor
    www.jtmarshauthor.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin J.T. Marsh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
    I know for a fact that nobody likes mine, but I'm still writing. I've had to pull back from my goal of getting published and, frankly, it's done me a world of good. I wrote my last novel strictly for myself and it's the best thing I've ever written. Now I'm writing another one and I'm flinging fun ideas around like finger-paint. It's awesome. I may never get published but I'm having a damn good time.
    This has been my experience as well. It wasn't until I started writing strictly for myself that I came to realize the ability to bring projects through to completion, as opposed to endlessly tinkering with them until something else caught my mind's eye.
    Twitter: @jtmarshauthor
    www.jtmarshauthor.com

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    Considering how to use the immersive beauty of paintings in order to influence my descriptions.

Carefully considering this.
    Vivere militare est.

I realized that my last novel was an exercise in modeling positive relationships. All the characters reinforced each other's better selves. I don't know if this has improved my writing, but I don't care. I think it's awesome and I want to do it again. Maybe the five losers in my next story will redeem each other.

Work in Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
    I realized that my last novel was an exercise in modeling positive relationships. All the characters reinforced each other's better selves. I don't know if this has improved my writing, but I don't care. I think it's awesome and I want to do it again. Maybe the five losers in my next story will redeem each other.
    Showing what healthy relationships are supposed to look like is always a good thing and that's what I'm doing with my WIP too

Not the part about redeeming – my protagonists are sociopathic drug dealers with appalling amounts of innocent blood on their hands – but the three friends love each other so much that they'd be willing to die for each other, and their friendship with each other is stable enough that they're able to have adult arguments that address their problems instead of escalating or avoiding.

So much of what they do makes them role models for what not to do, but I'm also trying to mix that in with pieces of what people should be doing more of

Page 534 of 536 FirstFirst ... 34284434459484509524528529530531532533534535536 LastLast