AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 528 of 528 FirstFirst ... 28278428453478503518522523524525526527528
Results 13,176 to 13,196 of 13196

Thread: What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Definitely. Unless you go to Query Hell first, in which case...
    Deferential, glad to be of use,
    Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
    Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
    At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
    Almost, at times, the Fool.

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    Starting to fear I look at stories too much like a critic and am forgetting to enjoy myself more than analyze or groan at every trope. This spells bad things for my work.

practical experience, FTW Punk28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Harbin View Post
    Starting to fear I look at stories too much like a critic and am forgetting to enjoy myself more than analyze or groan at every trope. This spells bad things for my work.
    Got the same thing going on with me. Seriously wish I knew how to stop it, because it is rude and not very fun either (I'm aware that it "shows" that you've grown serious in your work, but it's still rude to be analyzing everything over just taking it in and enjoying it).
    Write what's in your heart, let your fingers take over, let your brain "nap" while you write so you're not sidetracked.

Completed WIP: The Door In The Mist, The Shadower, The Misty Fire, and Smoldering Embers
    Current Works: Duru's Memoir: The Chronicle of a Surfeit and Turmoil

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    I'm at a decision point, wondering what to write next. I've got several things I could be getting on with, just can't make up my mind which one to do first.

Some of it depends on other people and decisions they make on a project we're working on together, so I'm loath to jump in to work that might need major changes later.

Another thing depends on an editor I have work out with. Whether I write anything else for him depends on him making his mind up on the work of mine he has in hand, so that's a waiting game too.

Lots of stuff going on in the next few weeks too that'll distract me from the writing process, with several big name anthos coming up with my stories in them, the re-release of my DarkFuse books in a steady stream at Crossroad Press, new work from the same press, and a wee bit further down the line a new collection from Crystal Lake, THE GHOST CLUB. Plus I've just delivered a creature feature novel, and was asked if I fancy writing more of those.

I'm only 3 months away from turning 60, and that's got me thinking a lot about what I want to achieve in however much future I've got left in the writing business.

A cup of tea and a bit of thinking needed

I’m working on my first book now. The plot is all laid out in my head , I’m just getting it down and tweaking it. What’s on my mind is how do I submit it to find an editor and an agent? After it’s finished what next?

I have always liked creature features If you like writing those that could be a great next step! God luck and sounds like your doing well!

Quote Originally Posted by williemeikle View Post
    I'm at a decision point, wondering what to write next. I've got several things I could be getting on with, just can't make up my mind which one to do first.

Some of it depends on other people and decisions they make on a project we're working on together, so I'm loath to jump in to work that might need major changes later.

Another thing depends on an editor I have work out with. Whether I write anything else for him depends on him making his mind up on the work of mine he has in hand, so that's a waiting game too.

Lots of stuff going on in the next few weeks too that'll distract me from the writing process, with several big name anthos coming up with my stories in them, the re-release of my DarkFuse books in a steady stream at Crossroad Press, new work from the same press, and a wee bit further down the line a new collection from Crystal Lake, THE GHOST CLUB. Plus I've just delivered a creature feature novel, and was asked if I fancy writing more of those.

I'm only 3 months away from turning 60, and that's got me thinking a lot about what I want to achieve in however much future I've got left in the writing business.

A cup of tea and a bit of thinking needed
    I have always liked creature features If you like writing those that could be a great next step! God luck and sounds like your doing well!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin peartree's Avatar
    I have way too much description in my writing. Until now I've just been writing it all out and cutting it down later, but I'm starting to wonder if I should try and write in a more "spare" style to start with.

Have any of you guys had luck changing how you write?

Quote Originally Posted by peartree View Post
    I have way too much description in my writing. Until now I've just been writing it all out and cutting it down later, but I'm starting to wonder if I should try and write in a more "spare" style to start with.

Have any of you guys had luck changing how you write?
    It took me 3 years to realize that I was being too descriptive, and to tone it down some. It usually just starts with you going 'whoa! slow up here! You're putting too much on paper/document and are growing far from where you want the plot to be'. I find that the process of writing is easy, while the one of editing your work, and removing unnecessary words from it, isn't. Practice makes perfect, and only you can come up with and agree with a style that meets with whatever you're writing.
    Write what's in your heart, let your fingers take over, let your brain "nap" while you write so you're not sidetracked.

Completed WIP: The Door In The Mist, The Shadower, The Misty Fire, and Smoldering Embers

I've had to travel so much in the time surrounding Grandma's death that I'm having a delayed reaction. Everything today felt wrong. Seemed wrong. Depressed most of the time, made worse by fatigue. Only managed to write two or three paragraphs. Nothing to do but ride it out, I guess.
    Check out my published work here!

Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

I loathe it when the Block comes in during my time in editing a story. It's bad enough when I'm trying to write, but it seems to be worse when I'm editing.

I'm thinking that I need to submit something or put something out there where somebody can read it.

practical experience, FTW indianroads's Avatar
    That I should be editing my novel rather than reading on Absolute Write...
    The Dark Side of Joy - on Amazon.
    My website => http://indianroads.net/

After two weeks of doing nothing on my project, I pushed myself to get the beginning work done. While going back to get names from one of the already complete chapters, I noticed that I did an oops with one of the character's names (she's listed in her dialogue as being Dr. Lahi Vloria, but in the following paragraph and dialogue, her name is given as plain Dr. Lahi. Did I quick change on that, so all's good now ) Now to hopefully move forward in this chapter then move on to the next.

practical experience, FTW joeyc's Avatar
    I'm in the middle of heavy revisions. I want to enter a contest and shop it. But there's that feeling still in the back of my mind that it sucks or (even worse, I suppose) that it's not quite good enough.

I've decided to put aside my main project to focus on something else from here until the end of NaNoWriMo, something I've been sitting on for a couple of months... but I've got to do planning, and I hateee planning... sigh

... with the High Command Dave.C.Robinson's Avatar
    Trying to figure out why I focused so much on just how strong Augustus Q. Ponchartrain Ph.Ds (plural) is in the current scene. Admittedly, he's a silverback gorilla so he is ridiculously strong, but that's been established previously.

Grasshopper, you too can master the ancient martial art of BIC FOK. (Butt in Chair, Fingers on Keyboard.) Find me on Kindle: Against the Eldest Flame, the first Doc Vandal adventure; Amadar, a heroic fantasy adventure; Price of Imperium, space opera with a street-level twist.

practical experience, FTW
    I read over the two plays I wrote. I was convinced I would only have one story to tell, ever, and was soooo predictable and boring, not to mention inexperienced and unskilled (I have a long list of flaws I see in my writing). The two plays are entirely different. One is about a twelve-step group. The second, the one I plan to revise again, takes -place- in a twelve-step group, but is about grief and loneliness. I was stunned to discover that if the play didn't take place in a twelve-step group, the story and characters would be completely unchanged--the only thing that would change is how they met and what they were doing to better themselves.
    This means I can write. Omigod. This is a big deal for me.

I hope to start on the two retellings I have planned: one is Peter Pan, the other is--not a retelling, just a spitefic of something else. Okay, I hope to start on a spitefic and then a retelling.

practical experience, FTW joeyc's Avatar
    I'm at a set of paired, really weak chapters from my alternating POVs.

Trying to decide if it'll be easier to cut them or rework them. Relatively important stuff happens in them, it's just the writing's not very good.

Can't believe I missed a submission window by only three days! Back to waiting.
    Check out my published work here!

Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

Page 528 of 528 FirstFirst ... 28278428453478503518522523524525526527528