• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

MikeCheck

Registered
Reaction score
What's on my mind: Apparently there's still a heck of a lot to learn about writing once the story is complete. I wonder how long it'll take to not be overwhelmed??

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
What's on my mind: Apparently there's still a heck of a lot to learn about writing once the story is complete. I wonder how long it'll take to not be overwhelmed??

Forever. #doomandgloom

On my mind - the fact that apparently the guys who colonised my planet had the following conversation:

Leader: Right, we're on a brand new alien planet. What are the first things we need?

Colonists: Kitties! T-shirts! Bacon!

Leader: *facepalm*

MirandaWrites

Registered
Reaction score

I'll second this, and add that even when I'M DONE writing, I've learned I'm nowhere near DONE writing. ... note to self... the SYW forum can be a scary place!

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
I just know those query responses are going to fill my inbox, probably six months from now, all at the exact day, at the exact time, and I'm going to be scrambling to remember what I found so interesting about each and every one as I do one final check.

MsPuck

...But you can call me Kristen.
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm thinking of getting business cards with a picture of a writer's desk. Oh, and that two articles need to be finished this weekend.

They won't believe it's your desk... unless you're standing beside it with your cat, Doctor Evil.

MeganJoWrites

Superpowers: Making babies, writing
Registered
Reaction score
What's on my mind: That I'm going to treat February like NaNoWriMo. I'm excited about it. I write better when I give myself a deadline (I guess it's my reporter roots). So. 50K in one month. I did 60K in November, so here's hoping. :)

Zoro

Registered
Reaction score
Wishing and hoping for the day when my current day job is a thing of the distant past, and I am a full time published and paid writer. It's the dream afterall :D

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Right now, just effin' around and that's bugging me because I know I should be doing something. Like editing. Or writing my book. Or editing whilst writing my. . .

Bleh. I'm tired. Getting punchy.

DizScare

You make my heart skip a beet.
Registered
Reaction score
I like the progress I'm making everyday. Staying positive.
Although I'm worried that I'll hit a brick wall soon. I'm not producing as much work as I've have before. For multiple reasons.

beautiful letters

Kate got your tongue
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm whats on my mind eh?

The secret ex government that has created weapons of mass destruction are very angry with me, seeing that I erased them in hopes of once again creating a peaceful mind. That wont happen I'm hearing voices again and until I get going on my completely restarted book, i'm going to have melt downs everyday. The silly characters just couldn't understand that they were becoming cliche, and I ran into a dead end with my writing! I will find peace when my book flies from random thoughts in my brain, down my arms, out my fingertips, and onto my computer. I have to go the General is call for me!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesomebeta just sent back my latest chapter...there's a scene where a little girl is stepping off a carriage. Another character reaches out to help her and she yells, "I can get off by myself!"

Beta said: "A kid 'getting off'? By herself? Could be read another way. You don't want that to be read another way. Trust me." :e2faint:

So what's on my mind about my writing...is how thankful I am that awesomebeta saved me from inadvertently writing something very, very wrong.

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
definingyourhome.blogspot.com
An agent asked me for a revise and resubmit (part one), but I've found it better to write a completely new part one rather than try to change the words in the old scenes.

The question is: When I merge, will a revision of part two be enough?

To quote Scarlett O'Hara: I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling with the tone and age content with my m/m fantasy story so far.

I'm letting my MC develop on his own, but I can't pinpoint his age, since he acts really immature and lives with his guardians. Plus, he's part shape-shifter, so he tries to imitate the grownups and try to act like he's older than he is (but he fails at it so much, lol).

The way I write is more like a MG or tween book since I read (and watch lots of cartoons) lots of children's stuff. However, it may be YA, since MC has some sensual touching with his crush, (but they don't have full-on sex. Kissing, holding hands, and maybe some cuddling and sensual touching, but no naked love-making).

It's definitely not adult, but I don't think it's MG, either...But I noticed, looking at my books that were my favs to read, I usually read MG or Adult, but rarely YA/teen stuff. :tongue Upper MG, but not YA teens, lol...

Last edited:

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
It's harder than I thought it would be to get into one of my character's heads. He's a quiet guy, so I thought he'd be bubbling underneath -- not so. He's basically only thinking about two things: the lawsuit and R. Not surprising, but not exactly scintillating reading either. Time to get out the shovel & dig!

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I can't believe how much I'm actually committed to my project. A bit too much, actually given in in my penultimate term of university and am meant to be researching my thesis - that's preying on my mind a bit!

I'm also concerned that my plot's too simplistic. At the moment I'm sort of writing with the nagging feeling that this, my first WIP, will probably end up being a test run for hopefully more likely to be published ones in the future.. But hey, if I'm enjoying it what's the harm!

ssjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
On my mind: I keep seeing bloggers posting fabulous daily word counts (3000! 5800!) and I feel unproductive because my word count, since I'm editing my WIP, is probably a negative number as I cut and cut and cut. I'm finding it hard to track my "progress" since I can't do it with the standard "x words written today/this week/this month."

(off to write -130 more words...)