The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Cogwheel Press

practical experience, FTW wrombola's Avatar

Cogwheel Press

http://www.cogwheelpress.net/submissions.php

Anyone heard of them? They contacted me, saying that they saw my novel on Authonomy, and asked me to submit my first three chapters and a synopsis.
    The early bird gets the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

http://wrombola.wix.com/-nymph-heart

practical experience, FTW wrombola's Avatar
    The Senior editor, Desiree Finkbeiner, is also on Authonomy with a book. They haven't published anything, and clame to want to publish six titles in 2013.
    The early bird gets the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

http://wrombola.wix.com/-nymph-heart

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Why don't you suggest that Desiree publishes her book first, then check back with them in 2 years to see what the sales are like.

MM

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    A press that does not accept (red font and capitals) and immediately deletes anything involving bigotry, discrimination... and "gay themes".
    Emily Veinglory

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    A press that does not accept (red font and capitals) and immediately deletes anything involving bigotry, discrimination... and "gay themes".
    Hah. I saw that too.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Board Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    This is why it is so hard to tell the difference between a satire of bigotry and actual bigotry.

If I'd seen that line anywhere else I would have thought it was a satire.

Maybe it still is? I'm hoping!

Mac

How discriminating of them. Oh, wait...
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    They don't like 'eurocentric faeries' either, so I won't bother submitting my m/m romance set in Cornwall's gay elf community.
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Coffee Coffee Work Coffee AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post
    They don't like 'eurocentric faeries' either, so I won't bother submitting my m/m romance set in Cornwall's gay elf community.
    ...I'd read that.
    Latest Release: Daily Grind
    Coming October 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

permaflounced
    Holy Molé!

Reading their submission guidelines makes me feel like I've just been scolded, shouted at. Maybe they think sounding like a punishing nun gives them legitimacy? Separate the wheat from the chaff? And as if being 'yelled at'isn't enough, I find that either their mama didn't raise them right, or they're towing the 'busy agents' line:
    If we are interested in your work we will request the full manuscript within 21 days. Submissions not responded to within this period should be considered a rejection.
    That's just plain bad manners. Not even the courtesy of a quick "Thank you, but no." And to think the masterminds are rejected 'authors' themselves? How quickly they forget...

Our small staff is dedicated to giving our carefully-selected authors a boost in their writing careers. We do this by providing a professional editorial revision of completed manuscripts, offering topnotch book cover design and branding, assisting with promotion and marketing, and treating our people like family.
    We can't choose our family, but we can sure choose to avoid 'family' like this 'publisher'.

Beware of 'editors' soliciting from display sites!!! They've got nothing to offer anyone. And this particular 'press' leaves a huge distaste in my mouth. Blech

cog 1
    n.
    1. One of a series of teeth, as on the rim of a wheel or gear, whose engagement transmits successive motive force to a corresponding wheel or gear.
    2. A cogwheel.
    3. A subordinate member of an organization who performs necessary but usually minor or routine functions.

cog 2
    v. cogged, cog·ging, cogs
    v.tr.
    To load or manipulate (dice) fraudulently.
    v.intr.
    To cheat, especially at dice.
    n.
    An instance of cheating; a swindle.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
    Why don't you suggest that Desiree publishes her book first, then check back with them in 2 years to see what the sales are like.

MM
    This. Going with a new company can be dicey because they lack a track record, and the editor doesn't appear to have a background in publishing. This means you don't know how good they are at editing, producing, marketing, and promoting books.

For example indulging on promotional landmines like: "I dated girls in college but CHOSE to go become heterosexual when I found God."
    Emily Veinglory

From their about page:
    Best of all, we stay in close contact with our people (unlike most larger publishing houses which tend to have very impersonal relationships with their writers). Team work is paramount to our authors’ success, and we know what it takes to be team players.
    Why do some small presses think they have to tell lies about the big 6 in order to get submissions?

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    The offensive wording has now been removed. Not that it makes much difference now that Stephani has outed herself as a classic 'some of my best friends are gay' homophobic twerp who'll automatically turn down gay-themed material.

This is one family I don't want to be a part of.
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 02-14-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    (unlike most larger publishing houses which tend to have very impersonal relationships with their writers)
    And she knows this ... how?

Quote Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post
    The offensive wording has now been removed. Not that it makes much difference now that Stephani has outed herself as a classic 'some of my best friends are gay' homophobic twerp who'll automatically turn down gay-themed material.

This is one family I don't want to be a part of.
    Apparently missing the point that not wanting gay stuff is not really the issue, listing it between satan and child abuse is.
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    In 9/15, became part of Desiree's new co-venture, Shift House Media: http://www.shifthousemedia.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: