Question on a Ghostwriting Contract

Lseeber

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of putting together a ghostwriting proposal for an approximate 65k word book that the author is planning on self publishing once it's complete.

I am approaching it using my standard formula of a per word rate, with 10% upfront payment, the next 40% due when half the project is delivered, and the remaining 50% due upon acceptance of the completed work.

My question involves my proposal for the percentage of the royalties.

The client has requested that my royalty percentage be based upon a graduated scale based on the number of books being sold. For example, if the book sold under 1,000 copies I would receive 1% of the royalties. If it sold between 1k and 5k books I would get 2.5% of the royalties, etc.

I'm not too concerned about figuring out the actual percentages - I can figure out that on my own.

My question is that is this an acceptable or common practice? The previous ghostwriting projects that I have had have either been a flat fee for the writing or flat fee + a flat percentage of the royalties.

thanks!

Laura

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Major houses will sometimes do this with contracts. Of course, the royalty percent is higher. It makes sense for the client in that they'll be better able to recoup publishing expenses on those first 1000 books.

Lseeber

Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for responding. :) Just wanted to be sure I wasn't being taken for a ride.

Laura