I'm I being totally unreasonable??

Pink Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Question here.

After reading my full ms, an editor and I spoke on the phone and she offered me a publishing deal.

That was 11 days ago.

Since then, she's emailed a couple of times saying that I should see the contract "ASAP" or "tomorrow" or "today." But so far...nothing. I realize these people are extremely busy, but I'd hate to think that I've made a verbal agreement with an agency with zero "customer service."

More importantly, I'm dying here...totally ready to sign my contract and get on with the exciting book-publishing process already. Am I panicking for no reason? Do I need to show more patience??

Someone...talk me down from the ledge!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to publishing where stuff takes five times longer to happen than you expect.
What happened is right after the editor sent you the e-mail someone phoned with A BIG CRISIS that just had to be fixed otherwise this book wouldn't come out, or that author would walk, or the world would end and the other person who has to sign it has the flu or is on vacation....

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
11 days is a bit long (I usually haven't had to wait more than a week for contracts, unless they indicated it would be longer), but the publishing industry in general is very slow. If you wait a month and nothing shows up, I'd start being concerned, but I don't think they've forgotten about you. Just wait awhile longer and then send another polite e-mail if it still hasn't shown up.

And congrats. :)

Though I'm a bit confused since you called it an "agency"...this is a publishing house and not an agent, I'm assuming.

Pink Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, sorry. Not an agency. A Publishing House.

Ok, and thanks everyone. I'm feeling better. But...ack!...wait a month? I think I would be a major basket case by then. :) I'm still hopeful that it will come today, since my editor's email yesterday said that it was coming that day...yesterday.

I think I need a cocktail.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
If she promised it for yesterday I'd make sure it wasn't in my spam filter. If it's not there, give her a couple more weeks, then send her a polite email letting her know you haven't received the contract yet.

Congratulations!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I think I need a cocktail.

First congratulations and best wishes! I can only imagine what you're going through. Someday I'll find out :D.

Second, I have single malt Scotch. C'mon over. You can tell me ALL about it!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the publishing house. Eleven days can be too long, or unbelievably fast.

Editors often say one thing, but someone else actually prepares and delivers the contract.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to assume here that you have checked them out on the background thread here. Other than that, I will tell you, from what I've seen on both sides of the publishing fence, is that nothing ever happens quite as you hope.

I've seen 'urgent' paperwork take 2 weeks to ship, I've seen 'posted today' to mean 'i'm covering my ass because I'm so snowed under that I have no chance of posting anything today'

These aren't necessarily bad things.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
A week?

I sold my book in July and got the contracts either at the end of August or early September. Depending on the size of the house, you have to go through several levels between editor and author.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't rush to sign that contract when you receive it. Have it checked over by your agent if you have one; if you don't, then the SoA in the UK has a free contract-checking service for its members--there must be a similar service in the US.

Pink Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! No contract yet, but I'm trying to be patient.

issac1

Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
I got a publishing offer in May and received the first draft of the contract at the end of June. Sent it back with a few minor requests for revision and signed the final contract at the end of July. The contract specified when what would happen when
(say that three times). The real work of publishing my book won't start until April, over two more months. Then it looks like everything will be traveling at the speed of light with request for revision, promotion and marketing meeting, book cover, copy editing, getting the galley ready for reviews in September. Honestly, you could write two more books between contract and publication, the book is due out in February OF NEXT YEAR. Working on other projects will help you stay sane. Hang in there.

melnve

Registered
Reaction score
It seems to vary wildly between publishers too. My first publisher was really speedy, but when I moved to a much bigger house everything took months. And now my royalties seem to always be a little late too. Don't panic!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Ummm...while you're waiting for the contract, had you considered calling up a few agents (yes, this is one of those situations where it's OK to phone an agent), and seeing if you can find one who'd like to represent you, since you already have an offer?

Chances are, the agent can negotiate a somewhat better deal from the publisher, and will certainly be able to weed out of the contract any nasty little surprises, such as a joint accounting clause.

Pink Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I got a publishing offer in May and received the first draft of the contract at the end of June. Sent it back with a few minor requests for revision and signed the final contract at the end of July. The contract specified when what would happen when
(say that three times). The real work of publishing my book won't start until April, over two more months. Then it looks like everything will be traveling at the speed of light with request for revision, promotion and marketing meeting, book cover, copy editing, getting the galley ready for reviews in September. Honestly, you could write two more books between contract and publication, the book is due out in February OF NEXT YEAR. Working on other projects will help you stay sane. Hang in there.

Thank you! This was so helpful!!

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
so sorry for the delay (frustrating!) but congratulations on the deal!