Women in Horror Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
So last night, some of us were kicking around the idea of a blog chain to celebrate Women in Horror Month. I love the idea, and didn't want it to sink into the labyrinthine miasma that is the Hounding After Hours thread, so I took the liberty of starting a separate one. Hope that's groovy with everybody. :)

Not sure exactly what the plan is--do we want to have a theme for individual blog posts? Perhaps a Top Ten type list for our favorite female authors of horror and dark fantasy? Reading recommendations?

I had been planning a blog post already, discussing what appeals to me about horror despite its perceived status as a male-dominated genre, and I've put that up here.

So who else has thoughts?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No ideas yet. I hope it doesn't take me all dang month to think of something. I'm posting here so that it holds me accountable. :D

I like the idea of recommended reads.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo!

I'm toying with the idea of requesting an official seal, although I'm not sure how that will work for a blog chain.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
True enough…

Okay, had another possible blog theme idea: the roles of female characters in our stories. This is sort of inspired by this thread, but with the focus on horror stories. Who are the women in our writings? What sort of jobs do they have? What are their relationships like? Stuff like that.

Also--it is possible to create a community on LiveJournal for multiple parties to post, but I'm not really keen on that because I think most of the Hounds are on Blogger or WordPress.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I requested an official seal, although I don't know if having a novel released many months down the road will make me eligible.

I think this blog chain idea is fabulous! I blogged today with links to some of my favorite female horror authors and a few of them are going to write guest posts. But my blog is open for more! :)

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Do we have to be published to participate? I'm a woman who reads and writes horror but with no pubs yet... But I find this idea interesting because it's true that there seems to be a break where there is Dark Romance aka horror for chicks and then real horror by and for men. I think we need to raise awareness that we don't all want Romance with hot-spooky elements only :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do we have to be published to participate?
No, I don't think that has anything to do with it. If you write/read/love horror and have something to say about women in horror, then go for it! You don't even have to be a woman to participate. :D

I'm a woman who reads and writes horror but with no pubs yet... But I find this idea interesting because it's true that there seems to be a break where there is Dark Romance aka horror for chicks and then real horror by and for men. I think we need to raise awareness that we don't all want Romance with hot-spooky elements only :)
Or that you can't somehow read/write both, right? :rolleyes: This is something that I keep running into. I'd love to see your take on that, Thump. :)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
@dolores: That's a good idea--posting links here. It'd be a good way to keep track, and we could--if this is agreeable to everyone--repost other entries to own blogs, sort of like what we did with the Horror Pimps. (Just for the record, the only reason I've been inactive lately is FaceBook being disagreeable.)

@Thump: Publication is definitely not a prerequisite. In fact, speaking from a reader's perspective is a kind of cool idea--putting the idea forward that the market is out there for horror with strong female characters, and not just dark romance.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm game - I'm looking at a few topics, but I'm not sure how it's going to go. I love the idea of writing about women in horror, but there is so much I could say (and have, before, I suppose, somewhere). If we are doing a chain, do we just append a link to all the other posts in the chain at the bottom of our post, or...?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I would join you women in this, but I'm really new at the whole blog thing. I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing on it. More or less try to figure out a chain. :(

Maybe next year, by then I might have it figured out.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would join you women in this, but I'm really new at the whole blog thing. I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing on it. More or less try to figure out a chain. :(

Maybe next year, by then I might have it figured out.
You can do it, Night. It's not hard. And you have ALL month. There's even an extra day this year. :tongue

I have mine planned out, I just have to write it. Nothing complicated or...deep or anything. Just a few of my recommended reads.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Is everybody doing something different in their blogs?

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't figured out what I'm doing yet. It'll be something to do with women in horror, that's all I'm sure of. *grin* After my post I'm going to link back to all the links posted in this thread, then update as new ones are added.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
link back to all links.........what?

Okay, so I post something up about women in horror, of course, in my blog and then put a link in here to it. right?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
@Celia: Thanks for the link! I'll share that on my blog next time I update.

@night: I don't think there's any specific theme as to what we're supposed to write about. Soap's doing reading recommendations; at the top of the page, I linked one with my thoughts on horror on what interests me about it, as a woman. I'm going to do a couple of book reviews later on, probably. You can write whatever you want. No rules, no pressure. :) Just something about women and horror.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
link back to all links.........what?

Okay, so I post something up about women in horror, of course, in my blog and then put a link in here to it. right?

Did I confuse you? Sorry. I will add all the links from this thread to my post on my blog.

Yep, you got it!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
@Celia: Thanks for the link! I'll share that on my blog next time I update.

@night: I don't think there's any specific theme as to what we're supposed to write about. Soap's doing reading recommendations; at the top of the page, I linked one with my thoughts on horror on what interests me about it, as a woman. I'm going to do a couple of book reviews later on, probably. You can write whatever you want. No rules, no pressure. :) Just something about women and horror.

Okay, thanks. :) I'll see what I can come up with.

Did I confuse you? Sorry. I will add all the links from this thread to my post on my blog.

Yep, you got it!

It's okay, I confuse easily. lol. But I understand that. Okay, I guess I'm in, then. :)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, would someone look at my blog and see if that looks alright or if someone has already planned on doing that?

I wanted to do a slideshow with different women authors in horror or their books, but couldn't get it to do that. :(

Is it okay to use an article from somewhere if I give them the credit?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Looks good to me! I like your first entry--Sarah Langan is in my TBR pile for this month too.

One thing: the comment post box is way dark. I can't see where I'm supposed to type.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure why...when I hit comments that box that opens to type in is white...I changed it up a bit, though. See if that's better. :D Thanks, Rhoda.

Status
Not open for further replies.