Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I have not a clue about the Matt Helm books, but it kind of sounds familiar.

I think part of the problem is the level of initial exposure versus long-term recognition - some characters get brought back constantly (Sherlock Holmes, for example), while others slink off into the shadows (and most of them deserve it, if I am being brutally honest). Another issue with the books is their current availability in some places, but that could be said for any character of a certain vintage.

I do know who Dean Martin is, though. :D If that counts for anything.

EVERYONE knows who Deano is. :tongue

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is the level of initial exposure versus long-term recognition - some characters get brought back constantly (Sherlock Holmes, for example), while others slink off into the shadows (and most of them deserve it, if I am being brutally honest). Another issue with the books is their current availability in some places, but that could be said for any character of a certain vintage.

EVERYONE knows who Deano is. :tongue

Ya think? No one at my job knows who he is. Kids, these days. :rolleyes: My kids know who he is, I made sure that they watched a bit of all the old actors, like Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, George Burns, Katherine Hepburn, and Humphrey Bogart etc. I think that just because the world moves on, they should not be forgotten. Of course, with cable and old people around to remind the youngsters, I don't think that they will. It's getting them to watch it, that's the problem.

:hi: Ted. :) It's a good thing that the hounds love each other, then. You're not loved if no one wants to throw you on the grill.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
What are you even talking about, none of us are old, nor will we ever be!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The moment I realize I am in the Twilight Zone? Teaching American pop culture to an American...

You do realize Dean's starring days as an actor were way, WAY before my time. I've only ever seen two of Sinatra's films, at that, and one wasn't even a starring role.

:D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
That was only the sixties. If we are talking "before my time" films, then my love of Elsa Lanchester, Bogey and Charles Laughton might require even more explanation...

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
The Matt Helm films are great as are the Our Man Flint films. All are great send-ups of the James Bond films, The Man From UNCLE, Secret Agent, and other TV shows from the 50s and 60s. If you haven't seen the Matt Helm or the Flint films you're missing out on a great treat.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Matt Helm films are great as are the Our Man Flint films. All are great send-ups of the James Bond films, The Man From UNCLE, Secret Agent, and other TV shows from the 50s and 60s. If you haven't seen the Matt Helm or the Flint films you're missing out on a great treat.

Seen all of those...

Except for the Helm ones.

:D

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I know about the Thin Man is that they had a dog named Asta...or is that some other show? I've never seen it, it's just the answer in crossword puzzles. :D

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's also a movie on Netflix. A pretty interesting one about poverty in America, communal fear, and missing children.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Does it have a dog named Asta in it?

Actually it sounds rather depressing, I might have to look that one up.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Red Lights better, honestly, but that's because I made the mistake of watching them on the same day. Red Lights has Cillian Murphy in it, and it does a really cool plot thing that I wish I were good enough to have thought of first.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Hi my name is (checks wallet) Porter. I have come to see if I can find any horror here or if I have to bring my own.

Thank You

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Yes, the dog's name is Asta.

<throws net over PorterStarrByrd>

Hi, Porter. Welcome to the Horror Hounds. Now, hold still while you're, um, initiated properly...

<lights large fire in barbe..., er, fireplace pit, breaks out can marked with HazMat symbols, long-handled, um, applicator, and rubbers, gloves, HazMat bunny suit, and respirator gear>

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we'll all need HazMat suits if you try and cook Porter. :roll:

Good to see you in the horror thread, Susie!! :Hug2:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know...Susie probably tastes like chocolate, I'm not too sure how well that's going to go with the sauce. If we put her on the grill, she'll probably just melt. :Shrug: and Porter...I don't even want to guess at what he tastes like.

Status
Not open for further replies.