Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how much of a nuisance coyotes are here for people, I never really hear anything about it. I just know if you live on the outskirts of town small critters like cats, chickens, and small dogs don't stand a chance. One of my son's dogs got killed by a coyote, or that was his best guess at what happened to it. :Shrug:

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Night, a lone coyote, from my own personal experience, will rarely kill a dog on its own. They are more of a pack hunter. One of them will lead dogs off to the pack is what I've seen them do.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I used to sleep outside a lot as a kid.

Encountered so many spiders in a cabin once that I slept so tense I couldn't move in the morning. Actually had to be physically stood up by other people. That hurt. I cried.

A frog got into one of the tents on a group campout. It was flung from tent to tent and spent a brief moment on one girl's head before it was finally flung outside and was lost. On this trip, we also had to cook our own hamburger and baked potato by wrapping them in tin foil and oh so carefully put them in the campfire. After forever, mine was still mostly raw but I was so hungry I ate it anyway. I do not advise this.

Girl Scout camping trip in a different cabin in the mountains when I was older. In February. In Vermont. No indoor plumbing. Outhouse was across the dirt road. We had to stomp down the snow bank to actually reach it. I promise you, brushing your teeth whilst holding a cup of melted snow and spitting into a snowbank is not fun.

Any future camping trip I embark on will involve indoor plumbing, electricity, and an actual bed.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, I don't think one coyote would've killed his dog. They had spotted several in the area. The dog was found just outside their fence. Of course, it could've been a pack of wild dogs as well, a lot of those running around, too.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I've seen coyote, mice, squirrels, moles, voles, beaver, possum, armadillos, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, snakes of too many kinds to count, and deer in my yard.

And spiders - mostly wolf spiders, daddy longlegs, some creepy, thick-legged things with white on their backs, and one black widow.

And cows. My neighbor's cows used to get out of their pen and come hang out in my front yard.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:eek: spiders...part of the great outdoor/indoor life.

I used to go to Arlington every summer to stay with my Aunt and Uncle and my cousin. On weekends we'd go to Lake Whitney. They had a two trailers there on a spot of land by the lake. The adults stayed in the large trailer while us kids (teenagers actually) stayed in the back smaller trailer. Every night going from their trailer to ours was a nightmare. Large spiders hung down from the trees, but while you were trying to duck down and avoid them, you had to keep your eyes on the ground for snakes and tarantulas. The door to the small trailer was always covered in daddy longlegs, you couldn't even grab the handle without having to knock some off. Then once inside, the hunt for scorpions started. Sleep did not come easy in that trailer.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Yikes!! :eek:

My m-i-l lives in West Texas. Last time we visited, she had to knock the tarantulas off the house with a broom before we could go inside (we arrived at like 4 am).

That was also the visit my son was stung by a scorpion and we learned that the best antidote to a scorpion sting is ammonia - soak the stung bit in ammonia for a few minutes and *poof* all better.

Judging by how quickly my then 3-yro's tears stopped, the relief is nearly immediate.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Don't tell me you two are afraid of spiders

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I am not afraid of spiders. I kill them all with whatever's handy.

Snakes, while I'm not afraid of them, I dislike them intensely. Just watching them move makes my stomach threaten to empty itself.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:( aw poor baby. Somehow we never got stung by one, which is odd since they crawled around everywhere while we slept. Of course we always checked the bedding before we went to sleep and shook out our clothes and shoes in the morning.

Tarantulas were plentiful there, my uncle would get the mower and chop 'em up. I stayed in the trailer for that. :eek:

I have tarantulas where I'm living now. :/ So not cool. No one wants to mow my yard. My son mowed it once and then got in his car to leave. That's when he noticed the tarantula was on his pants. He jumped out screaming like a little girl and beating his crotch. So my daughter told me in between fits of laughter. The beast fell to the driveway and he ran it over.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
There are tarantulas less than 30 miles west of here.

There's a story on my Back Porch blog about one we, uh, met when we were house hunting.

We've never seen them here though.

*offers sacrifice of thoroughly chewed and shredded dog toys to the creepy creature population location gods*

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Grrr... I can't get this part of this story right...

Thought goofing off here might help, but doesn't seem to be working so well.

Maybe I'll go make dinner...

Later guys

:hi:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
If you need some help with it, you know where I'm at. Always happy to give it a looksee.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, alright.

Hey, Night. What's that behind you, a spider!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
*chars the cowboy*

I was really hoping you'd say there was a cow behind me. I'm hungry. :e2bummed:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't judge me. :p

439185-Royalty-Free-RF-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-Cartoon-Judges-Holding-Up-Numbers.jpg

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
*cough's smoke*

There's a sheep, eat him.

Status
Not open for further replies.