Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Posting from the air. It's a bit neat. I like cool tech things like this.

A monster league could be a bit fun, though.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Cool, Bri!

I haven't actually been in the air in, like, 15 years or so. And you couldn't do much of anything back then other than watch a movie, and I think you could call on a phone in the seat (but it was really expensive). "Posting" wasn't even a part of my vocabulary. :D

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's neat 'cause I've missed you all while I've been adventuring. And now I can do both things.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I have filled my quota for conversing out loud with those living within my zip code/area code for today. And all before 8:30 this morning and without adding to my collection of... coconuts.

Any further conversation required of me, can I forward to tomorrow?

Or better yet, can I save them up for Saturday and Miss Girl's dance recital?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, you KNOW she hasn't seen that... *sigh*

Can you please try not to confuse my girlfriend. :)

That's my job :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought a JLA / Avengers type group made up of mythical monsters would kick all kinds of ass - the Rokurokubi fulfills the same roll as Plas (or Elongated Man).

Both Marvel and DC have done similar stories, albeit with markedly different spins on the concept between them. Marvel's was more the monsters coming together for their own cause (including what may have been the most original Punisher story arc ever), whereas DC's is more "monsters as government agents" kind of thing.

Neither has terribly obscure things on the teams, and they are more of the traditional monsters, but there you go.

:)

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Both Marvel and DC have done similar stories, albeit with markedly different spins on the concept between them. Marvel's was more the monsters coming together for their own cause (including what may have been the most original Punisher story arc ever), whereas DC's is more "monsters as government agents" kind of thing.

I've read those. And the BRPD comics. And the supernatural/war stuff with teams of monsters. Hell, I even read through the majority of the Godzilla comics - what I should have said was "I always thought a JLA / Avengers type group made up of mythical monsters would kick all kinds of ass if it wasn't written by a someone obsessed with the superhero comics he was aping, in a lame attempt at post-modernism which falls short of even basic storytelling." (superhero fanboys can feel free to throw things in my direction)

I'm not so annoyed at the amount of money I have wasted on superhero comics over the years, but I'm really, really aggravated at the utter contempt the majority of creators have for the intelligence of readers. Oh, and the pitiful use of amazing characters - go read Eclipso - The Darkness Within (aside from the few issues with truly abysmal artwork) and you'll see what I mean on that front. They have one of the coolest horror characters in decades, and they throw out all logic in an attempt to gain as many readers as possible for their pissy little crossover.

*sigh*

There's a damn fine reason I try not to talk about superhero comics...

Umbrageofsnow

Registered
Reaction score
Hundred Demon Night Parade!

Also:

I can see spending a few hours here: http://www.obakemono.com/introduction.php

:D

"1776 published a hefty illustrated tome called the "Hyakki Yakō", or "Hundred Demon Night Parade."

Must buy this book in oldest edition possible. Must learn enough Japanese to read it.

Also, this site is amazing, and I will be viewing it until I've memorized the whole thing. Thanks!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a damn fine reason I try not to talk about superhero comics...

I'm going to ignore the fact that you lumped the BPRD into the same category, in the interest of not blowing up the thread and getting Haggis mad at me (yet again).

:tongue

However, I will say I read both Marvel and DC for the same reason I watch Michael Bay films: mindless escapism. This does not mean they are all good, mind you.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong here - the BRPD comics are a step above anything published by Marvel or DC, and I refuse to bundle Vertigo in with the superhero material as the titles it produces actually requires a modicum of intelligence to navigate.

I like the Michael Bay analogy. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hellblazer is the only comic I have consistently stuck with over the years.

(I'd include Hellboy, but the publishing schedule on those was so iffy it's not exactly the same thing.)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the "new 52" is DC's answer to that third Transformers' film.

... We need a comics-discussion thread. Which is not the first time I have had that thought.

:idea:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I *think* you're safe here (though if anyone asks, I didn't say that the room was OK to hold a discussion of comics in general). :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know we have a sub-forum for it, but we don't have just a general discussion thread, like we have here with the Hounds or over in the Cantina.

I know there are enough comic geeks at AW to possibly make it work, I'm just not sure it would.

:Shrug:

ETA: And I don't write them, I just read them.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'm frightened to start a general discussion there, as the first post would be a salvo against the increasingly irrelevant, incestuous and repetitive superhero comics blighting the medium.

Um...

What I meant was, there are other genres...

*sigh*

I'll stop now, before I get locked in the dungeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.