Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Good day hounds.

Abby, good luck and much congrats on the new job tomorrow.

Debbie, hope your connecting flight is there and waiting so you don't have a delay.

Soapy, beat the snot out of that WIP and knock that outline into the dirt. Show it who's boss.

Greg, maybe something with seething or hissing instead. :Shrug:

And Haggis...Amen. I pray that she goes ever so lightly with the angels guiding her way and surrounded by family and loved ones.

and I'll have one of those shots please.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Abby, the Harry Potter world is in Universal Studios Orland Islands of Adventure. I've gone a few times and it's always like going HOME. I think I'm going in July, but I'm not sure yet - that's not set in stone.

Greg - Everything I attempted sounded twice as awkward, but have you tried saying it all out loud and seeing what you correct yourself to? Maybe that's a me thing, but if I have a super awkward passage, I'll start reading a page or two before hand, out loud, and by the time I get there, I'm so in the flow of it that I simply correct it as I read out loud. The trick is, then, remembering the correction and making it. But it usually works well for me, anyway.

All - Middle Grade or young young adult horror, is that a thing? What am I even doing with my life right now? The world does not need a new R.L. Stein, the original was so freaking awesome.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug:

I got nothing.

But I haven't had my coffee, yet and I only got four hours of sleep last night.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If it fits, go for it. I wasn't sure if you didn't still like it or not. It's a stylistic choice, and how it fits your piece is really all that matters.

At C2E2 I went to some amazing panels with authors like Anne Rice and Charlaine Harris on them, and that was something I noticed - these authors all had a seriously noticable way of being themself. It was awesome. The way they spoke was just as distinct as they way they wrote. I mean, these are big time, long-enduring authors, who have had a lot of time to practice being themselves in panels, but still. It was neat.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I like the "held a whisper" because when you phrase it the other way, it just makes me think that's what he's actually whispering, which is not what I think you're trying to convey.

Again, just my two cents in how it sounds to my ears. Or, er, reads, because I'm not reading it out loud.

:D

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
The conveyance is that the listener is hearing something at the back of the speaker's voice, something that may or may not be there.

Damn, it's such a difficult turn of a phrase for something that ought to be relatively easy to convey - maybe I ought to just say "His voice held darkness"...

On a lighter note, my friend Erika said she'd be willing to go out with me sometime. Her major worry is other patrons of hers finding out we're going out together and expecting the same thing.

I understand her concerns from an employment POV. She needs those tips and she doesn't need to be hassled by other customers constantly asking her out.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Okay... Cutting that right out of the phrase alternatives...

As to when I'll be asking Erika out - Next week. I'll have more money, less bills, and be better off financially, none of which matters to her. I gave her another hyacinth flower today 'cause I was kind've an ass in an email to her yesterday (she said I wasn't, but I was).

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, that's "next week" as in "the week that starts tomorrow," right?

Because she's given you the green light here. Ergo, you need to ask.

And yes, I will become an absolute pest on this issue if you keep putting it off.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Coffee:
Morning, Hounds. Today is the start to the week where I catch up on stuff. :D

After coffee.
And after herding children.

And assuming the puppy sleeps some.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, in other words, it's not going to happen.

I have the week in which things should be done, too. Only in my case there is no choice unless I want to hand out random grades.

Wait. I have a dice. Six sides, five possible grades, how did I not see this before?

:hooray:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
:Coffee:
Morning, Hounds. Today is the start to the week where I catch up on stuff. :D

After coffee.
And after herding children.

And assuming the puppy sleeps some.

Morning guys - wow, I keep missing stuff. You guys are typing up a storm! ;)

And I am doing catch-up stuff also :)

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Greetings, hounds! I've been playing over at the Write 1 Sub 1 thread, but since I'm a horror writer :evil, I figured I would pop my head over here and say hi. Soo...Hi!

Feels lovely to be amongst good company. Those literary people don't know what they're missing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.