Not open for further replies.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Aw, that sucks Soapy. Want some chicken? I just had a banana and that filled me up. Maybe I'll mix some seasoning in with the left-overs tomorrow. Last week I did a potroast with carrots, potatoes, onion and celery and it was amazing. Maybe I'm just a cow person.

I'll put those on the grocery list, Bos. :)

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, and Abs?

Know, in advance, that in the process of experimenting, while it will make you a better cook (oh, and start looking up recipes - also good way to start learning and experimenting) - sometimes you're going to @#$% up. And not know it until you taste it.

At which point you order pizza.

But just for that night. The next you try something different.

:D

Sorry, but no more pizza for Abby. I went to the doctor this week and she started me on diabetic meds again. I'm just on metformin, but she was pissed at me because I've been doing a poor job of taking care of myself lately. TBH, I knew I wasn't doing well and the depression has made it hard to care.

But now I need to try hard to do better, so no pizza. I can't allow myself to fall back into bad habits, its too dangerous. I actually have something to lose and I am well aware of it now.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Awww I'm sorry Abby.

I cant have pizza either... just started a diet.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's all good. Change is good. :)

I have a few cans of Progresso low sodium soup in my cupboards. :D Its not really tasty but it'll do.

Cauliflower is actually really good! Of course, it needs ranch dressing, as do all veggies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had a Mt Dew in the longest time.

Which is about how long it takes for it to taste good again....

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cauliflower is actually really good! Of course, it needs ranch dressing, as do all veggies.

And that would be the part where it stops being healthy.

There are other, better things to do with vegetables. I like ranch as much as the next person (low fat only, anymore) but even still.

You've got to learn to branch out, Abby.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to look it up. Actually, I mostly wing it. But I do have an ingredient list...somewhere. :idea:

I'll have to pm you guys tomorrow.

ETA: Don't google it. Mine is healthier than the ones online. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Its hard to branch out on a budget. :(

Not if you shop smart. I'm not saying this is easy, by any means, and it certainly makes a trip to the grocery store longer and more involved... but it can be done.

(Chicken, btw, is generally cheaper than beef. And honestly more versatile without having to be cut into different parts.)

Tackle this as you would any writing project for which you need to do research. Don't just blindly stab at it; work at it. Read up, watch some cooking shows, hang out in the cooking forum here, etc. Heck, pester Ted or Greg or I for ideas. Even Haggis, when he's around.

(Soapy seems to be hit or miss on the culinary front, by her own admission.)

And Abby, as harsh as this is going to sound, I'm going to be brutally honest here: you need to stop with the excuses.

Ranch dressing, for example, is no cheaper than half a dozen healthier alternatives out there. It's simply what you're used to, and it's too easy a crutch for you to fall back on and say "this is cheaper." Clearly, from what you've said tonight about your condition, you can no longer afford to take that path. You *have* to make changes.

You're stubborn enough and smart enough to be able to do this. I know you are. But it is going to require effort, and a shift in mindset that won't happen overnight. It'll be hard at first, but I promise it'll be worth it in the end.

:)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, on the budget front:

Remember that with spices and seasonings and such, the up front cost may be higher. You don't need to buy everything all at once, for just that reason. But the stuff will last you a while, even if you use it often, and the money aspect balances out in the long term. Hell, long term, it's probably less expensive due to the ancillary costs of eating poorly.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
It sucks, i wish i wasn't such a picky eater. Its really hard for me to eat healthy, because i dont like fruits or veggies. With the exception of green apples, potatoes, and corn...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fruits and veggies are like jazz music.

Every time I meet someone who says they don't like it, my immediate response is to say "you just haven't been exposed to the right variety yet."

There are a ton of fruits and veggies, and so many things you can do with them, that there really ought to be something out there you'd like if you could just have the opportunity to try it.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
For spices, basil, thyme, rosemary, paprika, clove, sage, red pepper, Italian seasoning, oregano, mustard powder, black pepper, garlic, red or white onion, onion powder, red, yellow, or green bell peppers - there are thousands upon thousands of combinations you can use in a kitchen. Essentially, cooking is chemistry. As Boston said, experimentation is the key - finding the ingredients, tastes, combinations, etc., that work for you.

I love experimenting in the kitchen.

Of course, I occasionally have to, um, use extreme measures on things I brew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.