List of editors and the books they've edited anywhere?

Ayoba

Registered
Reaction score
The proposal for my first book is about to go out on submission (yay!!!), and my agent has sent me the sub list of editors and houses he'll be sending to. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a web site where I could search for editors and what authors and books they've edited. I subscribe to Publishers Marketplace, and can search through there for the ones that get posted. But I'm just wondering if there's anyplace else I could look. Thoughts?

This is mostly just for my information, and to keep me from going utterly mad while we wait to hear if any editors are interested. It's not like I'm going to ring up the editors and say, please please buy my book! Not yet, anyway...;)

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Ayoba

Registered
Reaction score
And apologies for the weird winky face alongside this post. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing here...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ayoba, you can edit that winking face out of your post if you want to.

I'm not sure that such a list exists: but ask your agent. She'll know who they've worked with, and on which books: that information will play a big part in her choosing where to send your submission.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Wow, that's a great question! I'm with Old Hack -- I don't believe such a list exists, either --- but your agent probably knows titles the editor he's subbing to has worked on.

Part of your agent's job is getting to know different editors from different houses --- and if he's a particularly good agent (and mine is), he'll even know different editors at each particular house so he's got a feel for their tastes and quirks. That way he's not just submitting blindly to, say, Tor, but rather to an editor at Tor he believes is a good fit for you. Which is pretty awesome.

My agent did this for me on both my books---because he knows not only how I write, but he also knows how I work, so when he submitted to publishers, he also went straight to particular editors with whom he thought I might fit.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying: ask your agent. I would bet he can tell you what's on the resumes of the editors he's subbing you to.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes Googling the editor will turn up blogs by that editor and authors he's worked with or a Linked In page, etc. listing same. Doing an Amazon search may turn up books that list the editor in the dedication. Often I find books the editor wrote. The power of Google is amazing.