AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 103

Thread: Xchyler Publishing / Hamilton Springs Press

  1. #1

    Xchyler Publishing / Hamilton Springs Press

    This popped up in my news feed. They do not appear to have a website. All I saw was a Facebook page and a Twitter account.

    https://www.facebook.com/XchylerPublishing.page?sk=info

  2. #2
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,105
    ICAO
    ---------

    Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  3. #3
    A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Out side the beltway...
    Posts
    9,314
    Well, they are open to submissions according to their face book page but without knowing anything about them, I would be hesitant to even submit a query.

    Unfortunately, they will get submissions though...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

    Currently working on...

    From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

    In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

    http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

    Nick Anthony

  4. #4
    practical experience, FTW areteus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,637
    It sounds to me like they are a new start up trying to drum up web buzz with a facebook competition. Nothing particularly harmful about that as far as I can tell so far... at the moment they are an unknown quantity until someone submits to them and finds out how they work and reports any good/bad experiences here.

    My strategy for now would be to wait and see. I may look at their website to see what they are looking for and may submit something with no expectations...

  5. #5
    but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Aotearoa
    Posts
    5,453
    From their Facebook page:
    We are accepting all types and styles of fiction.

    Owner - Carrie Beeson
    From their Facebook wall page:
    We would like to thank everyone that sent in their resumes to be considered for the beta reader and editor positions that we had available. Both slots have been filled. We would like to welcome Rob Hardin (beta) and Margaret Grady (editor) to the team!
    From their blog:
    Team

    Owner - Carrie Beeson
    Marketing Director - Mary Duke
    Editor in Chief - Courtney Conant
    Editor- Melissa Ravelli
    Beta - Joseph Rubas
    Beta - Caitlin McColl
    Illustrator - Suzin Bhe
    They also have a call for submissions for a dragon-themed fantasy anthology on their blog, but no mention of payment.

    It appears that the company owner is the mother of an aspiring a self-published writer, for whom the press is named:
    So, if you've been on Mera's YA Book List for a while you'll know about the amazing Mary Duke!

    Her pen name is Xchyler Conn!

    So, in March her mother Carrie Beeson is officially launching her very own publishing company and it has the perfect name for her!

    Xchyler Publishing!

    The company does have some phenomenal people working for it. Included in this team is Mary. She is taking care of all of the marketing, as well as many other important aspects within the company.
    Adding: The Editor in Chief also appears to be a self published author with no prior editing experience. I would guess that the first books this press publishes will be authored by team members.
    Last edited by Unimportant; 01-31-2012 at 03:15 AM.

  6. #6
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Hi guys I just wanted to let you know a few thing to clear the air.
    We had a professional create our website, and it ended up taking a little longer to create then we thought. So yes our facebook page was out beforehand.
    I, the marketing director, am an aspiring author, but no you will not find my books nor none of the staff's books available anytime soon. (As in it won't happen.) My books are currently being published by Trestle Press and Gypsy Shadow Publishing under the pen name Xchyler Conn.
    Courtney Conant is no longer with us, though I would like to say she has worked as a professional editor for many years, between technical writing/editing for books and catalogs to full-length novels.
    Our website is http://xchylerpublishing.com/index.html

    Our steampunk dragon anthology is closed at the moment, but the authors chosen together split 60% of the profit, as stated in our contract.


    "3. ROYALTIES
    The Publisher will pay the Author royalties based upon net sales as reported by the Publisher and their distributors as follows: EBOOKS: Forty Percent (40%) to Author of the proceeds of the sale (revenues) received by Publisher through third parties (booksellers, distributors, book clubs, external web sites, etc.) or through direct sales by Publisher; PAPERBACK: Twenty-Five Percent (25%) to Author of proceeds of the sale (revenues) received by Publisher through third parties (as noted above) or through direct sales by Publisher; ANTHOLOGIES: Author split of Sixty Percent (60%) for EBOOK and Twenty-Five Percent (25%) for PAPERBACK. No advance will be paid by the Publisher to the Author."

    By the way, Carrie's email is always open as is my own.
    Carrie@xchylerpublishing.com
    Mary@xchylerpublishing.com
    Last edited by Mary Duke; 07-19-2012 at 04:19 PM.

  7. #7
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    25,566
    People who are interested in Xchyler Publishing should probably read the Firefly & Wisp thread all the way through.

  8. #8
    Writer is as Writer does Terie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Duke View Post
    My books are currently being published by Trestle Press and Gypsy Shadow Publishing under the pen name Xchyler Conn.
    Presumably, that would be this Trestle Press and this Gypsy Shadow Publishing.

    Do you have any marketing experience with major (Big 6), independent, or small (not micropress) publishers? What industry experience in publishing do other principals at Xchyler Publishing have prior to joining Xchyler?
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesnít equal winning at life.

    The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

    Author website | Author blog

  9. #9
    Writer is as Writer does Terie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Duke View Post
    Hi guys I just wanted to let you know a few thing to clear the air.
    We had a professional create our website, and it ended up taking a little longer to create then we thought. So yes our facebook page was out beforehand.
    I, the marketing director, am an aspiring author, but no you will not find my books nor none of the staff's books available anytime soon. (As in it won't happen.) My books are currently being published by Trestle Press and Gypsy Shadow Publishing under the pen name Xchyler Conn.
    Courtney Conant is no longer with us, though I would like to say she has worked as a professional editor for many years, between technical writing/editing for books and catalogs to full-length novels.
    Our website is http://xchylerpublishing.com/index.html

    Our steampunk dragon anthology is closed at the moment, but the authors chosen together split 60% of the profit, as stated in our contract.


    "3. ROYALTIES
    The Publisher will pay the Author royalties based upon net sales as reported by the Publisher and their distributors as follows: EBOOKS: Forty Percent (40%) to Author of the proceeds of the sale (revenues) received by Publisher through third parties (booksellers, distributors, book clubs, external web sites, etc.) or through direct sales by Publisher; PAPERBACK: Twenty-Five Percent (25%) to Author of proceeds of the sale (revenues) received by Publisher through third parties (as noted above) or through direct sales by Publisher; ANTHOLOGIES: Author split of Sixty Percent (60%) for EBOOK and Twenty-Five Percent (25%) for PAPERBACK. No advance will be paid by the Publisher to the Author."

    By the way, Carrie's email is always open as is my own.
    Carrie@xchylerpublishing.com
    Mary@xchylerpublishing.com
    Quoted for posterity.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesnít equal winning at life.

    The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

    Author website | Author blog

  10. #10
    Bemused Girl nkkingston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,116
    Someone throw me a bone: how do you pronounce Xchyler? The best I can do on my own is "Zuh-Chi-Ler".

    Hungry? Check out my other half's blog Colonel Mustard in the Kitchen.

  11. #11
    Zombie lovin' elindsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    somewhere between hell and back
    Posts
    6,056
    I wouldn't trust them. Having prior professional experience with Mary Duke, it was sorely disappointing. I do know she's worked at another epub, but not one highly recommended.


  12. #12
    Girl Detective Stacia Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In cahoots with the other boo-birds
    Posts
    8,143
    Am I the only one who's never heard of a "beta reader" position at a publisher? Could someone explain to me what that entails? (I mean, I know what a beta reader is, of course, but I'm unclear why a publisher would have one.)
    http://www.staciakane.com

    FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

    Click here for more details.


    WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!


  13. #13
    Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Non carborundum illegitimi
    Posts
    36,377
    I assumed it was their way of saying "slush reader."

  14. #14
    Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    12,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    Am I the only one who's never heard of a "beta reader" position at a publisher? Could someone explain to me what that entails? (I mean, I know what a beta reader is, of course, but I'm unclear why a publisher would have one.)
    First Reader? Intern?
    --Roger J. Carlson

  15. #15
    Girl Detective Stacia Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In cahoots with the other boo-birds
    Posts
    8,143
    Quote Originally Posted by nkkingston View Post
    Someone throw me a bone: how do you pronounce Xchyler? The best I can do on my own is "Zuh-Chi-Ler".
    My guess is "Shy-ler."
    http://www.staciakane.com

    FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

    Click here for more details.


    WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!


  16. #16
    Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In chaos
    Posts
    21,555
    That's what I assumed too.

    Why call them beta readers, though? It's wrong. And you know how I like things to be right.

  17. #17
    practical experience, FTW Wisteria Vine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    299
    Skyler, no?

  18. #18
    Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Non carborundum illegitimi
    Posts
    36,377
    I was thinking "Ex-chuy-ler". I'm a literal type.

  19. #19
    Crypto-fascist Soccer Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Under your couch
    Posts
    18,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisteria Vine View Post
    Skyler, no?
    That's how I've been saying it in my head, but what do I know? Downside to a made up name.
    <clickety to see my books


    Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

    Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

    I also Twitter & Facebook

    People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

  20. #20
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,090
    Lol I've read both threads and well I'm quite confused .

  21. #21
    Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In chaos
    Posts
    21,555
    I've been thinking "ziche-lar". To rhyme with "eye-ch-larr".

    How many different pronunciations does that make? And how many spellings might that equate to, do you think?

  22. #22
    Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Non carborundum illegitimi
    Posts
    36,377
    And how difficult will it be for people wanting their books to type it into a search engine? If it's difficult to spell and pronounce... is that how you want to be known? Unless someone's looking for a specific author or book title, what do you type into a search window if you can't quite remember how the publisher's spelled?

  23. #23
    Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oop North
    Posts
    1,625
    Beta - Joseph Rubas
    This must be the Firefly and Wisp author who posted as jrubas on the other thread.

  24. #24
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,525
    Skylar

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  25. #25
    Crypto-fascist Soccer Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Under your couch
    Posts
    18,596
    Yes, it's the same person. Speaking of F&W, I'm curious what Xchyler intends to do with these author contracts.

    I had several books with AMP when they closed their doors. Musa purchased the Aurora imprint. All authors had their rights returned to them and were offered new contracts from Musa. I hope Xchyler offers the same to the F&W authors.

    ETA: Because someone has asked me: We were under no obligation to accept the new contracts from Musa. They were offered, but authors were free to take their rights and go elsewhere.
    Last edited by Soccer Mom; 07-19-2012 at 11:39 PM.
    <clickety to see my books


    Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

    Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

    I also Twitter & Facebook

    People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search