Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Leshne Agency (Lisa Leshne)

The Leshne Agency (Lisa Leshne)

I came across this newer agent/agency today and don't find her in the index. She's got solid sales posted to PM, dating back to 2009 (specializing in non-fiction). This is from her bio:

Lisa Leshne has been in the publishing business for more than two decades. Prior to founding The Leshne Agency in 2011, she was a literary agent at publishing leader, Larry Kirshbaum’s, LJK Literary.
    Great. Until I took a look at the submissions page:

If your project doesn’t meet our needs, we may recommend that you explore self publishing as a go-to-market option, through our partnership with Author Solutions, Inc., the leader in indie book publishing. Self publishing has become a widely accepted method for writers wanting to publish for the first, second, or even tenth time. If you’d like to consider self-publishing, you can request information now from Author Solutions.
    That link goes straight to the agency's very own dedicated Author Solutions page. Objective Entertainment, anyone?
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Here's the incentive (from the AuthorHouse website, but I'm sure it's the same for all the Author Solutions brands): a $100 fee per successful referral.
    AuthorHouse Affiliate Program Rules

1. LINKS

AuthorHouse will make available to you graphic and/or textual links, which will establish a direct hyperlink connection from your website to the AuthorHouse website. The links will incorporate a referral number, assigned by AuthorHouse, that will uniquely identify you with respect to individuals referred to AuthorHouse in connection with this program...

For each individual referred to AuthorHouse, you shall be entitled to receive from AuthorHouse a referral fee in the sum of $100.00, subject to the following:

The referred individual must publish at least one manuscript in paperback or hardback form with AuthorHouse;
    - Victoria

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Ew, that's just icky.

practical experience, FTW
    well at least she puts this up on her website so we don't have to bother querying her.
    "The only difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense."

FYI: My "handle" carefulwithwords is not so much of a reflection of my personality as it is a reminder to myself to try to reign my personality in.

Quote Originally Posted by carefulwithwords View Post
    well at least she puts this up on her website so we don't have to bother querying her.
    This, exactly. I wouldn't touch this place with a bargepole.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    New avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon.

WIP1
    GB (Scottish MG Fantasy) | WIP2 DtS (M/M British Urban Fantasy)
    Resting: Giant Robots Project

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Before I even read your comment Unimportant, that was the exact thought that entered my head.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Here's the incentive (from the AuthorHouse website, but I'm sure it's the same for all the Author Solutions brands): a $100 fee per successful referral.
    - Victoria
    Thank you, Victoria.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    While most of the authors I represent prefer to work with traditional publishers, I do provide a link to Author Solutions for those who are interested in the self-publishing route. Many writers are curious about self-publishing as an option and I'm happy to help point them in that direction of this is something they wish to explore.
    Best,
    Lisa Leshne

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Many authors are new at querying, and linking them to a self-publishing option might be premature. They'll take your advice at face value, and might miss great opportunities. I don't buy it.

Ships full of vampires are hell. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Besides, Author Solutions isn't self-publishing--it's vanity publishing.
    WIP: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    Latest Release: Daily Grind
    Coming August 15, 2017: Close Quarter
    Coming October 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsolueWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLeshne View Post
    While most of the authors I represent prefer to work with traditional publishers, I do provide a link to Author Solutions for those who are interested in the self-publishing route. Many writers are curious about self-publishing as an option and I'm happy to help point them in that direction of this is something they wish to explore.
    Best,
    Lisa Leshne
    That isn't what you say, though. You say, "If your project doesn’t meet our needs, we may recommend that you explore self publishing..." And then you provide a link to a Leshne Agency specific Author Solutions link.

Who put you in charge of determining whether a querying author should consider self-publishing? Just because you don't think a book is a great fit for you, that doesn't mean another agent or publisher won't feel differently. It's that word we hear so often, you know the one. Subjective.

Unfortunately, most authors reading this already know what a crock this "self pub" referral sham is. It's those who are querying you green (some of whom could probably even become good if they knew where to look), who will take the word of an industry professional with ligitimate sales under her belt as gospel.

Nothing wrong with self publishing, if the author decides it's the right thing for the author and the book. An agent rejecting the work has no place in that decision.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

You are referring people to a vanity publisher for a fee. Shame on you.

If you really wanted to encourage people to explore self-publishing, you could send them here or to the Poets and Writers boards, or recommend some of the excellent books and websites out there about self-publishing.

Don't piss on our legs and tell us it's raining.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaLeshne View Post
    While most of the authors I represent prefer to work with traditional publishers, I do provide a link to Author Solutions for those who are interested in the self-publishing route.
    Could you confirm whether your agency is part of Author Solutions' Affiliate program, and earns a fee for successful referrals?

CreateSpace also provides self-publishing services--for free. If you do feel the need to direct authors to a self-pub service, it's a better option, IMO.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    She dropped the AS link in '15, but the page still exists.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: