• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chase Literary Agency (Farley Chase)

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Farley Chase has left Waxman and started his own agency. I saw that there was no thread specifically for him now. Has anyone contacted Mr. Chase since he branched out on his own? AQ and QT have his email address ([email protected]) but no guidelines, and I could not find a website. I am going to query him today and will post back when I have a response.
Bryan

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to query Mr Chase but my proposal (nonfiction) isn't ready yet. He's on my list though.

gianni pezzano

Registered
Reaction score
I have just sent my query, although I will be the first to admit the situation of the biography is a difficult one. I need someone with internaitonal rights experience to unblock the situation...

BUT, NEVER GIVE UP!!!

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
I got a nicely worded rejection this afternoon. Not sure if it was a form letter or not (see below), but glad I got some response and that it was quick. Not discouraged, so onward I go!
Bryan

Many thanks for writing. You have an interesting idea for a book, and
there's a lot to like about your approach. But in the end I'm afraid that
I didn't come away quite fully convinced it was something I'd be able to
represent successfully. I'm sorry not to be more enthusiastic but I'm
grateful for the chance to review it nonetheless, and best of luck to you
in finding it the right home.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Farley's my agent and he's fantastic.

Lucky you, siouxnyc :)

pavtbr, I received something very similar for my query last year, while Mr Chase was at Waxman. He responded within hours.

There is something about him that i really like and hope to work with him some day.

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
Farley's my agent and he's fantastic.

Farley is wonderful - definitely query if your book fits his stable. Check Publishers Marketplace to see what else he's represented at his old firm.

chica2903

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone I just joined here. I pitched a humor memoir to Farley and he requested some samples. Do you know how long it takes to hear back?

Thanks!

Last edited:

codeorange

Some of my friends are fictional.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
runwiththeorange.wordpress.com
Hi Chica,

I got a request from Mr. Farley today. I wrote a commercial fiction piece. I'll try to remember to let everyone know when I get a reply.

chica2903

Registered
Reaction score
That's great Codeorange, my fingers are crossed for you! I'll definitely post here if I hear back.

leigh912198972

Registered
Reaction score
Farley

I queried him this week and he replied back saying:
Many thanks for writing. This sounds interesting, and troubling. But also hopeful.

This sort of story can be very hard to place. But I'd be happy to read the first 100 pages to see what I think.

Word doc attachment is best.

Best,

Farley

so now I am nervous! but excited to send him a sample!

chica2903

Registered
Reaction score
Oh how exciting for you! I still haven't heard anything. Is it normal for agents to just not reply if they're not interested? Is it worth sending him some other stuff? Waiting is the worst!

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Oh how exciting for you! I still haven't heard anything. Is it normal for agents to just not reply if they're not interested? Is it worth sending him some other stuff? Waiting is the worst!

Hi Chica, don't do anything yet. It's early days. Some agents can take a while to respond. I don't know about Mr Chase but I seem to remember six weeks isn't unheard of.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe Farley will be better on his own. A published author friend of mine had Farley as his agent when Farley was at Waxman, and when he started his own agency my friend was delighted at the opportunity to leave Farley. He found Farley's range of skills to be narrow and his lack of interest in his (my friend's) project dispiriting. The single good thing is that Farley was good at getting back to him.

chica2903

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chica, don't do anything yet. It's early days. Some agents can take a while to respond. I don't know about Mr Chase but I seem to remember six weeks isn't unheard of.

Thanks - I am new to this completely, have only just begun querying agents.

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
I got a nicely worded rejection this afternoon. Not sure if it was a form letter or not (see below), but glad I got some response and that it was quick. Not discouraged, so onward I go!
Bryan

Many thanks for writing. You have an interesting idea for a book, and
there's a lot to like about your approach. But in the end I'm afraid that
I didn't come away quite fully convinced it was something I'd be able to
represent successfully. I'm sorry not to be more enthusiastic but I'm
grateful for the chance to review it nonetheless, and best of luck to you
in finding it the right home.

It's a form letter. I got one today. Glad that I got any response, though!

chica2903

Registered
Reaction score
Add one more to the pile! Just got mine this morning.

Oh well, thanks everyone! How long did it take some of you repped writers to find agents? It's a bit of a soul crushing process.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Add one more to the pile! Just got mine this morning.

Oh well, thanks everyone! How long did it take some of you repped writers to find agents? It's a bit of a soul crushing process.
Arggghh, it took me nearly a year. It's funny, because the agent I eventually signed with requested my full within three weeks, and then SAT ON IT for ten months. It took another offer from another agent to get them moving. (Oh, and Farley was one of the ones who rejected me in between!)

The soul-crushingness of it all is something we discuss a lot in the Rejection and Dejection threads. Drop by, pull your chair near the fire, and have a cup of bile some time!

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

codeorange

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Chica,
Thank you for posting. I am still waiting to hear back from Farley. I sent the day after you. Welcome to AW. You'll learn so much from this wonderful community. Yes, it hurts to get rejected. However, pat yourself on the back for finishing your manuscript and making it to the point of sending out queries.

codeorange

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good thing today isn't "Mother's Day." Just got a form letter rejection on a full from Farley Chase. Now it's off to visit my daughter and stuff my face with a Father's Day feast.

chica2903

Registered
Reaction score
Oh thanks guys, nice to have the support! I am really new to this online writing community, I find I can't talk about these things with my friends who do not write. They don't really understand. Definitely going to check out the rejections thread - I've had a couple the past month...feel like I'm entering some sort of elite club!

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Does Respond quickly

Sent a query yesterday afternoon received a very nice reject this morning that indicated he had actually read my material. Too bad it was an R!