Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: Corvisiero Literary Agency / Literary Powerhouse Consulting (Marisa Corvisiero)

permaflounced
    Frankly, women are used to odds like that in many fields.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDutcher View Post
    Just that they don't seem to view men equally. I understand most women here would not agree. But if there were only 22 women shown out of 107 authors represented...I suspect it would be considered a red flag.

We poor men are under appreciated in writing :P

I have noticed this. I went to their website and looked at the authors. Of 107 shown clients, on 18 are men. Less than one-fifth.

That is why I no longer submit to them.
    It's a well-known fact that the publishing industry is overwhelmingly staffed by women at almost every level (authors, agents, editors, etc.). The number that's typically reported is somewhere around 80%, so this agency's male-to-female author ratio is actually demographically representative of the industry as a whole. I'm not saying whether that's good or bad; I'm just saying that's what is.

There are good reasons to query or not query an agency, but personally, I don't think this is one of them.
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)

EARTH TO DAD (Capstone, Fall 2018)

DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

I am a man. I don't agree with your assessment. And 22 is still a large number. It's not like they are only representing 1 male author out of 107.

And even if they were, that says nothing about their biases, really, and if they were selling the kinds of books I write to good publishers in good deals, then I would definitely submit to them. What do you have to lose from a query?

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Just that they don't seem to view men equally. I understand most women here would not agree. But if there were only 22 women shown out of 107 authors represented...I suspect it would be considered a red flag.

Are you serious?

Oh, my gawd. This is a serious subject and one that got me blasted out of the Writer's Cafe a couple years ago. It started with Nat Sobel's assessment, which shocked me.

I don't ponder any gender preferences in the industry anymore. The way I've gotten around this touchy subject was to write really dynamic and interesting females MCs. I've have outrageous success with this decision. My gals really appeal to male editors. So I'm very happy with this. And writing about women kind of gives me a sexy, energetic feel while I'm exploring their emotions.

Write a damn good book.Humans will read it.

Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post

Write a damn good book.Humans will read it.
    ^^This.

practical experience, FTW

Most readers, writers, and editors are women. It's a female-dominated industry. The gender imbalance is not a red flag. It's normal.

That doesn't necessarily mean you're at a disadvantage, though. In male-dominated industries, men get paid more than women. In female-dominated industries, men still get paid more than women.
    Last edited by Viridian; 03-12-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Men are represented just fine in this society of ours. You'll be alright.
    YA debut BURRO HILLS coming from Diversion Books on March 20, 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - On submission
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 50k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter

Any recent news from Corvisiero? Asking for a friend who got an offer, whom I will neither persuade nor dissuade. I can't go into the specifics of the offer, but they give me some concern.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

I'm curious as well, because I recently received a request for my query, first few pages from an agent at this agency during the #DVpit, which is currently happening as I'm typing this lol.

My agent is part of this agency so here's been my experience with her:

*Very thorough revisions including multiple re-writes to get the MS ready for submission
    *Highly enthusiastic about my writing and projects, but also very candid about what needs revision or clarification
    *Agency contract is standard/normal and nothing dodgy about it
    *She emails me back very quickly and keeps me in the loop whenever something happens one way or the other
    *The junior agents are very cool people and some help out with MS revisions and pitching to editors
    *MS is sent out to a wide list of editors who are excited to read and are well-selected for the project

I recommend contacting a handful of the agent-in-question's current clients and asking them straight up for their honest opinion/feedback. Ask them any questions or concerns you may have. I did this before I signed and I'm glad I did.

Website
    + Twitter

Thank you for responding back! Two agents from this agency actually liked my pitches during this, so I'm unsure which one to send my query to, lol. Unless I send to both but let the other know that their other agent also requested material.

Nvm, I noticed on their website to only submit to one at a time. I decided to send it to the junior agent, but told her that another agent at the agency was also interested. I'll see what happens from here!

Good luck, PandaNinja!!

Website
    + Twitter

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Does anyone have recent experience with this agency? One of their junior agents requested off a Twitter Pitch contest, but I don't see any recent sales on their site. Thanks.

practical experience, FTW Fiender's Avatar
    I'm also interested to hear any recent stories. I haven't submitted to anyone at Corvisiero yet, but the fact only the junior/apprentice agents would be interested in my work has given me pause :S

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    It's a smaller agency, but it's based in New York, and it's got sales. I met Marisa Corvisiero at small writers workshop last year. She's professional, courteous and obviously very knowledgeable about the industry. I wouldn't be too worried about a junior agent being interested in your work. New agents are always hungry to prove themselves, and they have the support of their seniors at the agency if they need it. The only real risk an author runs with a junior agent is whether that agent will stick with it, or not. It's not uncommon for a junior agent to decide after a couple of years that agenting isn't for them after all, and they quit. Usually, it seems like if an agent is still around after the three year mark, they're likely to keep at it. Although, of course, if you get a new, junior agent, and you happen to be a great success story for them, they're more likely to stick with it to share in your success.

Read the whole thread. Then read the Perkins Agency thread. Your mileage may vary, but those are the basic places to start.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    Does anyone have recent experience with this agency? One of their junior agents requested off a Twitter Pitch contest, but I don't see any recent sales on their site. Thanks.
    I met with one of their junior agents at RT 2016. I gave her my pitch during my allotted time, she seemed to love it and requested my full MS, which I sent (admittedly, after a few more months of edits - but far less than the year I've read is standard.) After 4 months, I sent a brief, polite "hey, just checking in" email. Nothing. Never heard from her again. Obviously, I've taken it as a 'no' but I'm a little shocked to be ghosted after such an enthusiastic response to my in-person pitch.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678