Scarlet Amaryllis in bloom

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvisiero Literary Agency / Literary Powerhouse Consulting (Marisa Corvisiero)

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar

Corvisiero Literary Agency / Literary Powerhouse Consulting (Marisa Corvisiero)

Marisa Corvisiero has left L. Perkins to start her own agency. Details here on her blog post.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Hmm. An agent who also runs a literary consultancy.

Can anyone spell "conflict of interests"? Yes, I thought so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    Hmm. An agent who also runs a literary consultancy.

Can anyone spell "conflict of interests"? Yes, I thought so.
    A bit like Lori Perkins owning the publisher her employee, the epub agent, sells many of her clients' books to, no?

Some would say conflict of interests...some would say circle-jerk.

Sputter... GAAK!

Squeak!

WHAAAT?

I just can't seem to get my brain to un-stick. I guess Ms. Corvisiero's gonna need her own thread. I'd do it, but I've still got that $500/$800 (of a $2775 value!?) annual POWER MEMBERSHIP ringing in my ears.

She does acknowledge the tough economic times, though, and there's a sweet deal where you can try to corral two fellow writers into joining up for a year along with you, and then you get a free month on top of (not deducted from) the year you've already signed up for.

"For ME giving back on FaceBook and attending conferences isn't enough."

Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    I can only say:

This smells so shady, it isn't funny. (And hasn't this been tried before?)
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Baby View Post
    I guess Ms. Corvisiero's gonna need her own thread.
    Done. Copied/split from L. Perkins.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I know there are people on AW repped by Corvisiero. I'd considered her while she was still with Perkins Agency, until I'd done more research on Perkins and decided against it.

In Corvisiero's case, with her background in law, this doesn't give me much confidence. The fees are too high for the value added. I could use stronger words, but I don't think I need to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    I could use stronger words, but I don't think I need to.
    "Hell to the fuck no," fits quite well.

I smell bullshit.

Banned
    I don't have a Facebook account, but I'm told by a friend who does, that Ms. Corvisiero isn't happy about this here thread.

Plot Ninja's on the loose! NIYRAK's Avatar
    How about we give her a chance to come here and answer questions... if there are any.

From what I am seeing the biggest issue anyone has here is the fee for her 'LITPOW' site... which is seperate from her agency...

Has anyone bothered to approach her and ASK her anything?

"People will hate you, rate you, shake you, and break you. But how strong you stand is what makes you."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NIYRAK View Post
    Has she bothered to come here and ANSWER anything, instead of complaining elsewhere?

I'm told the FB rant has disappeared, but one of the folks who rose to her defence accused us of being jealous.

If we're wrong, then great. Many apple-oagies* and I'll be the first to start beating my breast.

*Blackadder reference, for those not in the know. I'm sorry to inconweenience you.

Linky.
    Seriously, just read some posts on absolute water cooler that turned my insides. Apparently I'm a corrupt fraud for offering consulting services and agenting and should not agent if I'm a lawyer.... What!? Who are these jerks posting on there!? ...nothing better to do?! Go write a book!
    Thank you for your advice, dear. I've written eight.

When one of the commenters invokes the name of Stephenie Meyer to make a point, well...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Last edited by scarletpeaches; 02-22-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Adding link, editing post.

practical experience, FTW firedrake's Avatar
    How about we give her a chance to come here and answer questions... if there are any.

From what I am seeing the biggest issue anyone has here is the fee for her 'LITPOW' site... which is seperate from her agency...

Someone commented on her FB statement, suggesting in a very polite way, that she might want to address the concerns on this thread. If she really wants to convince people she's running a legitimate business with no conflict of interest, it would reflect well on her to respond to the concerns on this thread.

Word gets 'round fast on the internet. There's very little that's private.
    All she needs to do is calmly and rationally address these concerns rather than go off on one in a very public place.

Simples.

Plot Ninja's on the loose! NIYRAK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
    Has she bothered to come here and ANSWER anything, instead of complaining elsewhere?

I'm told the FB rant has disappeared, but one of the folks who rose to her defence accused us of being jealous.

If we're wrong, then great. Many apple-oagies* and I'll be the first to start beating my breast.

*Blackadder reference, for those not in the know. I'm sorry to inconweenience you.

Linky.Thank you for your advice, dear. I've written eight.

When one of the commenters invokes the name of Stephenie Meyer to make a point, well...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It is my understanding that she is setting up an account here on AW and will answer questions, not sure when...
    "People will hate you, rate you, shake you, and break you. But how strong you stand is what makes you."

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Hmmm. There are some potential conflict of interest issues here that really SHOULD be addressed.

But I really don't see where anyone was being a 'jerk' in this thread. Obviously, if there is some new literary definition of jerk that I'm not aware of, please let me know.

And having a rant on her FB page - not cool. Not cool at all. Why don't people realise that how they present themselves in public can damage their professional reputations? Professional is as professional does, and all that.

Either way, the fee issue has my teeth squeaking.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Banned
    It is my understanding that she is setting up an account here on AW and will answer questions, not sure when...
    Before calling anyone in this thread a jerk would have been a smart move.

Elf on the Shelf is for amateurs AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    I'm waiting for us to be called "haters", "bitter", "talentless", and "hacks".

I've written five books and have two on shelves with the third hitting shelves next February.

BR&BC reveals the good agents as well as the "RUN AWAY!" agents. Fee-charging falls into the latter category. A good agent makes money when he/she sells your book. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    I'm waiting for us to be called "haters", "bitter", "talentless", and "hacks".
    But it's becauz we iz al juzt jelus!!!11!

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Darnit, I forgot to add the eleventys.

Linky.
    I stay off that site. It used to be a great author resource but has gotten taken over by trolls.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. And so on.

And for the Blackadder ref, I say

Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    Darnit, I forgot to add the eleventys.
    That's because you're a bitter, talentless hack. Ovbiously. And a jerk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seun View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. And so on.
    Yes, because having your fangirls wank you off on Facebook is so much classier than questioning an agent's business model.

Yes, because having your fangirls wank you off on Facebook is so much classier than questioning an agent's business model.
    I'm still stuck on AW being taken over by trolls.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    It's going to be one of those days, isn't it.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
    That's because you're a bitter, talentless hack. Ovbiously. And a jerk.

Your'e' just a jealouse looser who doesn't appreciate my genious!!!11!11eleventy!!

(It's like a mosquito bite: once you get bit by the eleventy bug, you have to post one. )

BTW, scarlet, that sounds like the plot of a potentially short story.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast