• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Henery Press

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! My submission is a little over five weeks, now. *anxiously keeps checking inbox*

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
My editor is super busy right now, so don't despair. Take a deep breath and step away from the refresh button. :D

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Easier said than done. ;-)

Last edited:

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Got a rejection today (after about 10 weeks' time). She was sweet and apologetic about the wait, and included a personalized rejection, saying she liked my writing and I could submit future work. Encouraging, but I'm still.....sad about it. :p

Stanhy59

Write On
Registered
Reaction score
So how are these folks doing? They seem to have a list of authors and titles now. They look promising, at least from what I have seen.

mojitomaven

Registered
Reaction score
News?

I am also interested if anyone has an updates about this publisher. Their books look great, but I can't find much info about them or how their books are selling. Also it says they'll be available in print, but will the books be actively stocked in bookstores or is it more of a print on demand? Does anyone know?

Last edited:

AtItAgain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - just wanted to leave my bit about Henery - I recently got a revise and resubmit letter (with editorial notes and, of course, no guarantees) on a manuscript I submitted mid-April. About 11 weeks start to finish.

I originally submitted to them because I saw that they had very strong small press sales on Amazon and they seem to have an in-house publicity dept or publicity template that gets their authors to readings, blog tours, etc. All that equals sales bit by bit. Since I submitted to them, I was happy to see that one of their titles won an Agatha Award at Malice Domestic. For a new press, that's pretty good stuff.
Also, recently saw one of their titles on library bookshelf in Pittsburgh (may have been more - I didn't have time to search). This was the only place/time I've looked for them on shelves, but was happy to see one there.

AtItAgain

Registered
Reaction score
Update on my R and R: I sent it back after 6 weeks. The editor let me know she planned to get back to me within 2-4 weeks with thoughts about the revision. I will update when I hear back from her.

AtItAgain

Registered
Reaction score
Update on my R & R - editor got back to me when she said, had sent it to managing editor, then heard a week later that it was rejected after all - still not cozy enough - too many elements that might rub some readers the wrong way. A great experience, very professionally handled, even if the outcome wasn't what I hoped.

JohannaC

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted manuscript 6/5/14; rejection 6/23/14. But not giving up - on to the next!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I've been asked to send my mystery to Henery as a result of a #PitMad request on Twitter. I'm hesitant that mine won't be cozy enough, but an agent told me it was a cozy, not dark enough. Waiting on a couple of agency decisions before I decide. I'm running out of agents...

Jeff Widmer

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffwidmer.com
Has anyone else on AW signed with Henery more recently than 2013? What is your genre and what was your experience? Would you recommend this as a place to build a career? Thanks.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I saw an article in our newspaper about a local author whose publisher is Henery. I went to their website and saw one of their authors is a well-known AWer.

I'm reading the mystery novel now and it's been good. Nice quality look to the trade paperback, tight story, no red flags so far. I'm curious as to why this thread is rather slow and this publisher isn't more popular as a place to submit.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Henery is quite legit. They rejected me, politely, and I moved on. They lean toward cozy, and mine is a bit dark, despite cozy elements.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm resurrecting this thread for a very good reason. On February 7, Henery Press canceled the contracts of the majority of their authors, including Agatha award winners and authors with books remaining in their contracts.

Do NOT submit to this publisher!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Writer Beware's Victoria Strauss on Henery:

The cancellations came out of the blue (nothing had been said about any strategic plan or consulting firm). But while some writers were blindsided, others weren't hugely surprised. Although they have praise for the company's early days, Henery authors say that problems have been increasing for some time, with staff departures (interns are reportedly used to do a lot of the editing, with sometimes substandard results), late royalty checks and reports (several authors told me that they feel there are discrepancies in their sales figures), diminishing marketing (according to multiple writers, virtually no promotional support is provided), ordering problems (writers cite non-returnability and nonstandard discounts), and difficulty with communications.

Mystery Writers of America (where Henery is listed as an Approved Publisher) is aware of the situation, and is monitoring it. If you've been affected, you can contact MWA here. Be sure to put "Henery Press" in the subject line. All communications are confidential.