Status
Not open for further replies.

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
I used to be a giant King fan, ever since I first read (and it remains my favorite, not just out of the rose tinted nostalgia glasses) Pet Semetary, because the way the story is crafted, the characters and the emotions. The Creeds feel like a real family and that makes the tragedies in it all the more palpable, beside the fact that it's one of the few books I found genuinely scary as it hits me in a way some other books haven't. There's been a lot of tragic death in my family (and death of pets, I was about Ellie's Age when I lost my first pet) and it's great to sit back and wonder, even today after I lost someone close to me last year, "Would I use the burial ground?" It's sort of theraputic, which makes no sense...

But I can understand why someone can't read it, I imagine when I have a kid of my own I'll feel the same way about it.Continuing on about the Pet thing, I read Cujo once and it remains to me one of the best written suspensful stories ever. The movie was on tv a few weeks ago and I rewatched it and was at the edge of my seat even then.Misery, I read once and that was enough for me, weirdly that's a King favorite for a lot of people but I wasn't as fond of it? IDK. The Stand, I liked certainly, when I'm feeling misanthropic I pick it up, LOL.I read it a couple of times when I was working at Wal-Mart, big surprise?

Loved 'Salem's Lot, love it when I want some old fashioned vampires and can't deal with the...Victorian-ness of Dracula. The Tommy Knockers, it was so cheesey but I actually liked the movie translation of that, the actors were a help. The book, was down right disturbing. I really need to read It, I haven't yet for some reason. I feel like I'm mising something!I also unironically loved Rose Madder, I'm fascinated with the concepts of 'alternate realities' and 'alternate selves' so I was all over it.

When he got off the booze and drugs I did still like his works, (not all of them) but most of them. I think I was one of the few who actually liked Dreamcatcher, after that though, he became most a miss for me. I had a hard time with Duma Key and Lisey's Story simply because.. of the tone, it seemed like King at his most intropsective and when he gets too deep into that I loose interest.

Tried Under the Dome, a scene in the beginning weirdly threw me off it. Insomnia, eeeh...I couldn't really get into. Despite loving the change, that the main charater was an elderly gentlemen. So it's not that I think his creativity went down when he became sober, or that he got bitter, or anything, but there does seem to be a difference between the two Kings to me. When he was on drugs as well as drinking, his writing feels more-not natural or flowing but it feels less restrained I guess, more emotional, more free flowing. While when he's sober his writing doesn't feel necessairly restrained but more within certain confines, this isn't to say he's writing with certain tropes but it feels more strictly constructed rather than his older work.

Not all of his older work I liked, I hated Carrie and The Dark Half but I appreciate the plot and what he was trying to accomplish.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I will admit that, even though I am NOT a King fan, this thread has forced me to re-read the Langoliers

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I will admit that, even though I am NOT a King fan, this thread has forced me to re-read the Langoliers

I read The Langoliers on a Transatlantic flight. It freaked me out just a bit.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I read The Langoliers on a Transatlantic flight. It freaked me out just a bit.
I read The Shining when I worked at ski lodge, where I was the only one there, caretaking one weekend during pre season.

An early blizzard hit, closed the road to the canyon, and we were interlodged. (Meaning due to avalanche danger, no one was allowed out of whatever building they were staying at.)

Sat in front of a roaring fire, snow dumping and wind howling outside, reading away. Then the phone rang.

It was an automated message system telling me there was a problem with the boiler down in the east wing boiler room. I needed to check it out --far away, at the end of some long corridors.

This is 100% true.

But as far as King goes, it's really hard to make a correlation between pre and post sobriety. It's not that cut and dried. Any author who has a decades long career, who's written that many books, is going to have an arc. It will have ups and downs. Not everything is going to be a success, in literary terms -- you can't keep progressing so that every novel you write is better than the last one.

Part of it is just life changes one goes through, whether involving something like substance abuse, or relationships, or something as common as watching your kids grow up. All these things are going to affect your work.

Then there's the difference between an early writer, full of fresh ideas and energy, and an older writer, more skilled in craft, perhaps, but also less urgent. Most of us are lucky to have two or three great ideas -- how'd you like to try to sustain your creative imagination over 50 or so novels? Not to mention short stories.

So I think you can assess Kings career in many ways, and his abuse problems are certainly relevant, but dividing it up into pre and post abuse is just too limited to be useful.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Of all the King books I've read, there are only few I have read only once, never wanting to read again. Tommyknockers was one of those. Yes it was creepy, but, ugh, I didn't like it when I was reading it and I've never wanted to revisit it. Then years later I learned it was one of those King wrote during his coke years. Does it show? I don't know. I think a lot of prolific writers will have their good and bad years, drugs or not. To me, Tommyknockers was a bad book, but I can't comment whether the coke had a bearing on it or not. At its heart, it's pure classic King.

Like the aforementioned Cujo. One that King said in On Writing (and mentioned in this thread) that he doesn't even remember writing. But I didn't think it was bad. Again, pure King. An absolutely memorable story with equally memorable characters. But written during a coke-fueled frenzy. Does it show? Honestly I can't tell.

In his pre-coke, but alcoholic years he did Christine. Christine was the very first King book I read, which I did in eighth grade. I loved it. I still do. And the next one I read was The Shining, which today is said in some circles to be a "literary novel." Again, pre-coke days, but fueled by alcohol. I love The Shining and still enjoy re-reading my favorite parts.

I'm in the minority when it comes to the film of The Shining. For me, the book had a lot of heart in it. Kubrick's film had no heart at all for me. It looked great but there wasn't much below the surface.
Kubrick's film is one of my all-time favorite movies. Under the surface is a lot of interesting subtext and symbolism, and it has inspired a lot of discussion and analysis. Sure, it took a left turn away from the heart of the book, but a whole lot of films do that to the source material.

I kept reading King as I grew up, but to be honest, Bag of Bones was the last one I read. And I never finished it, I don't remember why exactly. To me, it wasn't quite the same as Christine or Pet Sematary, and the little girl always shouting about "VBS!" just drove me nuts. Since Bag, I haven't wanted to read another one by him, even though he was one of the authors who inspired me to write.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The last one I bought and really enjoyed was Gerald's Game. I loved that book. It seriously freaked me out.

I just checked a bibliography and Dolores Claiborne was the next one. I quite liked that but it isn't a favourite. Then Rose Madder which I hated. Insomnia I didn't like much. I loved the Green Mile. Especially in serial form. It was so nice waiting for the next one to come out. And then..... Bag of Bones. I hated that so much I've never bought another one.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting how many of us loved Pet Sematery.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've never actually read that one. My absolute favourite is Salem's Lot. I loved that book. Read it over and over. It's so damn creepy.

Hated the film though.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I love Salem's Lot too. I read it all in one sitting. I finished it at 3.00 in the morning and I was alone in the house because my parents were away for the weekend. I slept with the lights on and a cross under my pillow, convinced some floaty vampire would start scratching at my window, demanding an invitation.

I enjoyed the first TV adaptation of SL, with David Soul. It was well done and very creepy.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I slept with the lights on and a cross under my pillow, convinced some floaty vampire would start scratching at my window, demanding an invitation.

I enjoyed the first TV adaptation of SL, with David Soul. It was well done and very creepy.
Slightly off topic. After the TV movie came out when I was a kid, it seemed like EVERYONE saw it. All of us were freaked out by the kid vampire floating outside the window, and we would rake the air with our fingernails at each other, going, "eeeek eeeek eeeek eeeek." Anyone else do that?

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
And then..... Bag of Bones. I hated that so much I've never bought another one.
I enjoyed Bag of Bones. I pick it up every now and then just to reread the bits I liked the most, like the opening. Interesting how tastes can differ.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I love The Shining and still enjoy re-reading my favorite parts.

Kubrick's film is one of my all-time favorite movies. Under the surface is a lot of interesting subtext and symbolism, and it has inspired a lot of discussion and analysis. Sure, it took a left turn away from the heart of the book, but a whole lot of films do that to the source material.

I can't remember who I saw say it (Peter Straub?) about the film of The Shining compared to the book. Their thought was that King wrote it from the heart and Kubrick made it from the head. As soon as I heard that, I realised that's what I'd always thought.

I love Salem's Lot too. I read it all in one sitting. I finished it at 3.00 in the morning and I was alone in the house because my parents were away for the weekend. I slept with the lights on and a cross under my pillow, convinced some floaty vampire would start scratching at my window, demanding an invitation.

I love the book and the TV version of 'Salem's Lot. Creepy as hell.

Reaction score
James Mason was in Salem's Lot? The guy with the sexiest voice ever, besides Richard Burton's or Rupert Everett's?

That James Mason?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
James Mason was in Salem's Lot? The guy with the sexiest voice ever, besides Richard Burton's or Rupert Everett's?

That James Mason?

Yeah, that James Mason.

I do a great impression of him. *clears throat*. "Hello, I am James Mason."

Told you it was good.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, that James Mason.

I do a great impression of him. *clears throat*. "Hello, I am James Mason."

Told you it was good.

re-reads. twice.

Then sets book over crotch to hide how lovely Seun's voice really was.

Status
Not open for further replies.