Status
Not open for further replies.

leebattersby

Half Man, Half Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leebattersby.com
Ah, I wish they had kept it as Epic Fantasy. My novel definitely fits into that genre, but can't be said for classic fantasy. Oh well, maybe next year. Looks like I'll have to get published the good ol' fashioned way.

Oh, FFS. James Joyce's Ulysses is epic fantasy without being 'classic' fantasy: and what do you consider classic fantasy, anyway? LOTR, published in the dim dark past of, oooooh, the 1950s? Dunsany? Shelley? The Bible? There's no such thing as classic fantasy, or high fantasy, or epic fantasy or blah blah blah keep taking the pills because you'er not a publisher or a bookseller and they're the only ones who really give a rat's arse.

You're an author. your job is to write books and sell them to publishers. End of. Do it or don't. Don't look for excuses so you don't have to.

And what exactly is "the good old-fashioned way" that doesn't include submitting to a publisher?

leebattersby

Half Man, Half Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leebattersby.com
And yes, I come from the "crazy shouty Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket" school of inspirational support :)

You've got two weeks, guys. Get them in, or don't complain that you didn't get the chance. And best of luck to you all: I hope some absolute pearlers are found and see the light of day at the other end.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I think people are thinking too much about it. If it feels like fantasy with a big world scope, and some familiar elements of the fantasy you grew up reading, then sub. It doesn't mean it has to be LOTR-pseudo-medieval-fantasylandia with elves or else it's not eligible. As long as you're not subbing Batman fanfic (like someone has done!) or something else totally not even close to what they ask for, then you're good to go.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Thanks for stopping in, leebattersby and laura! One week and three days left!

I counted five AW authors in the running so far, any more? :)

Dreambrewer

Registered
Reaction score
Me, as you already know. I'm not much of a communal person in that respect so I've been keeping quiet. We'll see how it goes. :)

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Me! *waves* I'm excited they're focusing on fantasy this year; I have the perfect story that I just finished the polishes on. Sent, now to settle in and wait. :)

utopianmonk

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't find out about this until the submission period had already started, but I dug up my trunked YA fantasy and made some revisions, most notably labeling it YA. Totally didn't realize it was until now.

Anyway, chopped off an entire section of the opening chapter, wrote a kickass new synopsis, and sent it in. Hopefully it's much stronger now. Time to wait!

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Did you send it to Angry Robot or to Strange Chemistry? Strange Chemistry is the YA imprint.

utopianmonk

Registered
Reaction score
I did send it to Strange Chemistry, forgot to mention that. Like I said I'd been mislabeling this novel for a while but it's definitely YA.

Dreambrewer

Registered
Reaction score
Nope, but that doesn't surprise me since I submitted in the last few days, so I figure I'm at the bottom of the pile.

kalevin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Haven't heard anything, but it seems a little quick for a response yet. Or should I be expecting something already? *refreshes inbox incessantly*

Oh, it's going to be a long 6 months, isn't it? ;)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's too soon to expect anything.

At least, I hope so. Otherwise it means they don't love me my manuscript.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Yeah, I think it's too soon to expect anything.

At least, I hope so. Otherwise it means they don't love me my manuscript.

I don't think they're using an external reader this time (well, they hired the last one, and she'll be reading all the SC entries!), so I guess it'll be whenever Lee and Marc can fit in a bit of slushpile reading.

kalevin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
To distract myself, I shall now gaze lovingly at your cover, Anne. (Seriously, gorgeous.) And I suppose there's always, you know, some writing I can do on the next book. ;)

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I submitted a YA fantasty to SC - unfortunately I only found out about the Open Door at the weekend submissions were ending, so I fear it's not as polished as I would've liked (yes, it's complete and so on, but still, I would've liked to spent more attention on it!). I sent it in just before midnight on closing day.

I don't quite know how I feel about submitting an 'old' book. I worry that it doesn't represent the best of my work that I'm producing now. Saying that, I have worked on it quite recently, and it's good to get it out there and let publishers decide for themselves whether they want it!

Status
Not open for further replies.