Status
Not open for further replies.

JRVogt

takin' the world by storm...one raindrop at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JRVogt.com
Huh. Kind of funny. Morning after I find this discussion and post, I got my response. They're asking for the full ms!

Excited to reach this next step, though trying to contain a new level of nervous jitters, of course. They say it can still be a few months before any response comes.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Kind of funny. Morning after I find this discussion and post, I got my response. They're asking for the full ms!

Congrats!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score

Excited to reach this next step, though trying to contain a new level of nervous jitters, of course. They say it can still be a few months before any response comes.
Whoo hoo!! Yay, Josh! **flails the pompoms of victory**

mhughes

Profesionel Speelchecker
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mooseandink.com

Congrats!

Of course, as my wife has just pointed out to me, you are now technically my competition. So I'll have to crush you and all that. Please send me your address so I can have someone deliver a ticking package ...

I kid, I kid ... maybe. *shifty eyes*

JRVogt

takin' the world by storm...one raindrop at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JRVogt.com
Thanks all!

MHughes, we'll do the gentlemanly thing and shake hands, wish each other luck and may the best man...

What? No, I'm not hiding anything behind my back. Why do you ask?

This thing? It's a...crowbar-shaped back scratcher, of course.

Seriously though, best of luck to all!

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
I thought that at first, too.

But isn't in their best interest to put out everything that they think is good?

Therefore, if they got 50 theoretically best-sellers out of 55 submissions, wouldn't they try to do all 50? if not now, then somewhere down the line...

... or that could just be my good nature making me delusional again.

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Yes guys, think of it as the japanese version of Ninja Warrior.

You are only competing against yourself and Mt. Literarmi!

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I thought that at first, too.

But isn't in their best interest to put out everything that they think is good?

Sort of. I expect they'll publish all the ones that a) follow the submission guidelines, b) are great, and c) fit the Angry Robot brand. Lee Harris has mentioned they've rejected books that matched a) and b) but not c).

Therefore, if they got 50 theoretically best-sellers out of 55 submissions, wouldn't they try to do all 50? if not now, then somewhere down the line...

Well, there is a practical limit. They only put out a handful of books a month, and they have a whole stable of authors under multi-book contracts - they're not going to make some poor author wait 3 or 4 years for a slot in the schedule!

Then there's the fact that this time around they're being very specific about what they're looking for. If they took on a large number of authors of traditional fantasy, that would totally skew their brand, which is based on an eclectic mix of SFF genres.

However judging by the last Open Door, the manuscripts that match the above criteria are only around 0.5% of submissions. I expect them to sign a couple of authors this time around, maybe three at most.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Something that I noticed about the subs last year was that they were all quite different. We had a larger scale humorous space opera, fantasy with gargoyles, a sci-fi mystery with tikis, Chuck with aliens, my circus-flavored fantasy...I read quite a few of the other submissions, and while there's realistically so many they could take on, it didn't feel like we were in competition as much.

But this year for AR it's narrower...

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Dropping by with a late (congrats!!!) for JR. :)

I'll be very interested to see what they pick for finals, as far as epic fantasy with that Angry Robot flavor...

I feel like that should be some kind of spice market seasoning. Hmm, yes, tonight we shall be having the quail, with a bit of Angry Robot flavor to awaken the palette.

mhughes

Profesionel Speelchecker
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mooseandink.com
Regarding how many books they choose and such - if you haven't read the Slushkiller entry on Making Light (originally posted in 2004), it's worth a look.

Teresa Nielsen Hayden is one of the editors at TOR (her husband is Patrick, also Senior Editor). She starts out analyzing the basic rejection and goes all the way to why a book will or won't get picked up. Neat stuff.

That said, even if one of my 'competitors' (who I prefer to think of as fellow slags in the word mines) gets chosen over me, at least I can point to their work when it comes out and say 'Mine was in the running'. And dangit, that feels pretty darn good.

sgf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For those still waiting, I found this total from on the Strange Chemistry thread (posted by laurlam). I thought I'd share since it provides totals per imprint:

Via Amanda's Twitter feed:

Final count for the Open Door is 687. Of those 217 are for AR (epic fantasy) and 470 are for SC.

It would be interesting to find out what the submission rate was from the first to last day of open submissions. I'd wager the graph would look U-shaped, with lots of submissions on the first day or two, then thinning out until the last-minute folks turned theirs in.

sgf

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a bit low too. But when I considered that the open submission was only for about two weeks, plus the fact that the guidelines were fairly narrow (just epic/classic fantasy), it seemed about right.

So I think I read somewhere that one editor is reviewing all of the submissions. Assuming he's averaging about 2 per day (which might be a stretch given other day-to-day business), and goes by order, that means last day submitters will hear around the end of July to early August?...

...but I'll probably still keep checking three times a day anyway :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... they've taken down all the info from the 2012 Open Door site, but I'm pretty sure I remember them saying there would be 2 editors reading - and they did promise that the editors would read, not slush-pile readers.

217 huh? I like that number a lot more than over 700! Let's see... last year they signed 5 authors out of their Open Door period (they didn't say if that included Strange Chemistry), so if that's all at Angry Robot and if I want to drive myself nuts hypothesizing, if 5 people got contracts again that would make the odds 1:43 (off the top of my head) of getting published from this submission call. I can definitely like those odds. Probably way better than most of my submission odds!:D

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... they've taken down all the info from the 2012 Open Door site, but I'm pretty sure I remember them saying there would be 2 editors reading - and they did promise that the editors would read, not slush-pile readers.

217 huh? I like that number a lot more than over 700! Let's see... last year they signed 5 authors out of their Open Door period (they didn't say if that included Strange Chemistry), so if that's all at Angry Robot and if I want to drive myself nuts hypothesizing, if 5 people got contracts again that would make the odds 1:43 (off the top of my head) of getting published from this submission call. I can definitely like those odds. Probably way better than most of my submission odds!:D

They got almost 1000 submissions from last year's Open Month.

So, it's more like 0.5%. Every one of the ones that made it to the end, but didn't get offers, were very good and very original. Some required rewrites before they were accepted. So please keep that in mind: the odds aren't very good.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's more like 0.5%. Every one of the ones that made it to the end, but didn't get offers, were very good and very original. Some required rewrites before they were accepted. So please keep that in mind: the odds aren't very good.
It's worth noting that there are no odds. It's not a lottery. The individual books do not stand an equal chance of "winning".

If you've written a very good book, your chances are very good. The book still might not prove to be a fit for the publishing house, but it likely wasn't tossed out of consideration anywhere near as fast as the books with grammar errors on the first page.

Books are not widgets. Statistics do not apply well to them.

sgf

Registered
Reaction score
JJbenedictis, you're absolutely right, of course. But while it's not a lottery, there might be considerations that are so nuanced that it might as well be described as luck. Things like two submissions being very similar in some specific ways, or maybe the trait of an MC just rubbed an editor the wrong way for some personal reason... who knows. In any case, it's mildly interesting to consider the general odds of publication.

On that note, assuming 5 people get contracts, which I doubt is guaranteed in any case (could be lower or higher), the odds would be 0.7% if they're picking from both AR and SC pools.

It would be interesting to find out if AR is planning to focus more on epic fantasy, and if this is a trend away from the urban fantasy and steampunk trend. Personally, I'm looking forward to reading one of their forthcoming S&S novels (The Hammer & The Blade by Paul S. Kemp). I admit, I'm an epic fantasy junky, but it's interesting that whenever I see someone reading a book (whether it's at the mall, or at work, or just at a bus stop), about 1/3 of the time it's epic fantasy.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
JJbenedictis, you're absolutely right, of course. But while it's not a lottery, there might be considerations that are so nuanced that it might as well be described as luck. Things like two submissions being very similar in some specific ways, or maybe the trait of an MC just rubbed an editor the wrong way for some personal reason... who knows. In any case, it's mildly interesting to consider the general odds of publication.

You're both right. If you've written a frankly not very good book, your "odds" are zero. If you've written a brilliant book, your odds are very high indeed but it's hard to put an exact figure on it - there's that last bit of luck as to whether you hit the right editor on the right day, and it's pretty random.

As anyone with a grasp of probability will understand, the odds of a randomly-selected manuscript being published and the odds of a specific manuscript being published are two completely different things...

It would be interesting to find out if AR is planning to focus more on epic fantasy, and if this is a trend away from the urban fantasy and steampunk trend. Personally, I'm looking forward to reading one of their forthcoming S&S novels (The Hammer & The Blade by Paul S. Kemp). I admit, I'm an epic fantasy junky, but it's interesting that whenever I see someone reading a book (whether it's at the mall, or at work, or just at a bus stop), about 1/3 of the time it's epic fantasy.

I don't think they're trending away so much as broadening their scope - they don't have any traditional epic fantasy at the moment, and as you say, it's very popular so they'd be fools not to try for a trilogy or two. It's more a matter of whether they can find one that fits the AR style. I'm guessing they're looking for something more Joe Abercrombie than Robert Jordan :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
As anyone with a grasp of probability will understand, the odds of a randomly-selected manuscript being published and the odds of a specific manuscript being published are two completely different things...

I realize, of course, that the odds aren't statistical. Just trying to put some positive spin on things while I wait.:) Tension always amps up when the responses start filtering in.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Of those 217 are for AR (epic fantasy)

I'm surprised there were so few.

From some of the earlier posts, I think the numbers may have been higher if they gave us a bit more notice. Epic Fantasy is not something you can complete in such a short space of time.

Perhaps that was intentional though

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Hey, how's everyone doing?

Today, instead of stalking my email, I helped film a documentary about penguin conservation. Woot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.