Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I'm wondering.... couldn't you just put the fish on a stick or something instead of on your head??
A stick might work, but I couldn't carry it while shooting; and if I stake it into the ground, the bird might be injured when she takes the bait.

BTW, I'm still laughing over that image you posted last night. And that bit about carrion you to her nest sets me off again each time I think about it. :D

Could you tie the fish to your hat with a bit of fishing line? So the line is attached to the hat but would easily drop away as the bird takes off with her dinner?
That's a good idea. I could sew one or two loose stitches to secure the fish to the hat. It would also help to keep the bait in place, which tends to fall when I move my head.

Oh my goodness, you all are cracking me up! SK, glad you made it out alive with that encounter. Maybe fish on hat is not such a good idea with a bird with talons as large as those!
You're right, of course; but I'm truly not afraid of being injured. I squat very low to the ground to reduce my profile, and the hat protects my head while the camera shields my face. My hands are the most exposed, but even if I should lose a finger, I'll still have nine good ones left. ;)

...you could invest in a really big fish, slice it's belly open, clean it, and pull it right down onto your head. That should bring her in!
Sort of like a fish mask? Fantastic idea! Now you've got my wheels turning. :Thumbs:

I'm sorry, SK. I just couldn't resist. :evil

5-29-12019-SM.jpg

Waaaaaaayyy better than any lolcat I've ever seen. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
"I just need a hug!"

:roll: Oh my goodness, that is the cutest/ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I had the misfortune this morning of learning that my wife discovered how I planned to shoot close-ups of ospreys in action. The scheme was revealed to her by a partner I was trying to recruit to help me.

She wasn't pleased, at all. "Are you crazy or something?"

I've heard that from her a lot over the years, which usually serves to pour cold water over even the best of my intentions. But she's kind and sensible and very, very smart, so there's no use in arguing with her about the project, which I've shelved for now.

"And another thing," she went on. "You shouldn't be out there bothering those birds in the first place, or any other wildlife. Who do you think you are, anyway?"

That broke my heart a little but not my spirit. Tomorrow, I'll have plenty of time to seek out opportunities for more nature shots.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Your wife sounds quite feisty, SK. Perhaps a shot or two of her in the wild....

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

He's so beautiful. It does look like he started to shave his head and then decided against it mid-way, though.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
That anhinga looks so soft! I read once upon a time they air themselves out after a catch because they don't have the oil in their feathers to make them water-proof like other water birds. Am I remembering right? Awesome photos of it, btw. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
That anhinga looks so soft! I read once upon a time they air themselves out after a catch because they don't have the oil in their feathers to make them water-proof like other water birds. Am I remembering right? Awesome photos of it, btw. :)

Yes, that's right.

He's a cormorant, right? The anhingas have white heads?

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The same bird, shown here when he wasn't as surprised and had a better chance to strike a pose:

6-1-12084-SM.jpg

Can I have a high res copy of this photo, SK? I've always thought anhingas were just black, but the shade of blue you've captured...combined with the yellow and green beak, and red eye...it's just stunning.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just love love love this image!!! Makes me think of Tina Turner.

....................Yo, Tina, I'll tell you what love's got to do with it!

You.Take.That.Back.

He's a lovely bird! I love the profile pic.

I was standing on my porch this morning waiting for the dog to do his business and a hummingbird swooped down in front of me and hovered above some lavender I have in planters on poles. He stayed there for probably close to a minute, so close to my face that my eyes crossed.

I'll admit that it frightened me a little, which I know is silly. I think I prefer just to see them in pictures. :)