Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
This thread got disturbing. Quick, someone post a real picture!

flare.jpg

Wait...I think I might have misunderstood the nature of the thread. :Shrug:

ETA: Get it? "Nature" of the thread? :roll: I kill me.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
SK, maybe if you put that ^ on your hat, the osprey will lose all sense of reason and swoop right in. :D

*gasp* Perry would not like that at all! :eek:

(yes, that's the fish's name.)

Aw, pretty fishy!

Hehe, thanks. He's a betta, and I'm ashamed to admit how much money I paid for him because I had to buy him from a breeder in Thailand. Yes, I'm aware that I'm insane. ;)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
That is a pretty betta! To get the fancy ones I guess you have to fork out some bucks. I had a saltwater reef tank, only 46 gallons, but still, I know all about forking out bucks for fish and corals and all of the equipment and salt and test kits and so forth to keep them alive. But I loved it. I miss my reef tank. Now it's a freshwater tank with an algae problem that never goes away. Our water here sucks!

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
He's worth it!!!

I just got my Beta, Ninja, from Walmart and I'm pretty sure he's insane. He likes to attack his food, shake it, let it loose then attack it until it's 'dead'.

I have four bettas (three in a divided 10-gallon tank, and Perry in his own five-gallon -- most expensive fish gets the best digs, hehe). Three are from Walmart, and all of them are neurotic. Norman has to have a dark divider between him and the next fish, because if he can see another fish he chews his own fins down to nubs. Mike Tyson is so named because he will attack ANYTHING that enters the tank -- he will even jump up and snatch food from my fingers! And Walter is pretty but none too bright. ;)

That is a pretty betta! To get the fancy ones I guess you have to fork out some bucks. I had a saltwater reef tank, only 46 gallons, but still, I know all about forking out bucks for fish and corals and all of the equipment and salt and test kits and so forth to keep them alive. But I loved it. I miss my reef tank. Now it's a freshwater tank with an algae problem that never goes away. Our water here sucks!

Yeah, the water here's not great either. I only turn my aquarium lights on for an hour or two a day while I'm near the fish (none of them have live plants and bettas are dark-lovers, so the light's not strictly needed). Otherwise the algae goes nuts in my tanks too.

Had a close encounter today using a much less attractive fish. Story and pic to follow...

*waits impatiently*

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Day two of SK’s challenge to lure the osprey in for some close-up action finds him creeping in ever closer to the subject. The bird observes him in near-disbelief as he removes the bait from a bag, a bigger fish this time, and sets it atop the bill of his hat. Then he waits, spying on the beast through the camera’s viewfinder.

The bird feigns indifference and turns away. She becomes restless after a time and takes to the sky, dropping below a row of slash pines. Her cries go faint for a few moments, then grow louder and louder as she reappears, flying low and fast. SK lifts the camera with trembling hands. He struggles to focus on the ever increasing size of the osprey. The hat feels heavy now, and just as he decides to shake off the fish, the bird is upon him. He ducks as she takes a stab at the bait but misses, her talons brushing across the top of his hat.

Later, SK is disappointed to find that the only photo of the close encounter is that of an unfocused, decapitated bird. But as they say, tomorrow is another day: :)

6-1-12090-SM.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I truly never thought she'd get that close to take a swipe at the fish. I was using it to get her attention and felt that possibly, she might hover nearby for some good shots while ogling the meal.

She must have been very hungry. :)

In the future, I need to find a way to secure the fish to my hat. I was thinking of safety pins, but I'm afraid she might rip those out and swallow them if she ever takes the bait, and the hat, at one time.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, I can't believe how crisp that photo is! ^ Amazing action captured.

That's quite an adventure, SK, you'd make Steve Erwin proud. :D But I'm wondering.... couldn't you just put the fish on a stick or something instead of on your head??

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, Dino gets carried away with his photography...

SKcarriedaway.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe, she's just carrion you to her nest....

err, maybe that went too far....

Nah...

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Oh my goodness, you all are cracking me up! SK, glad you made it out alive with that encounter. Maybe fish on hat is not such a good idea with a bird with talons as large as those!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
SK, do you have a tall tripod or some sort of pole or stand that you could hang the fish from, rather than have a bird of prey diving right at your head?
You don't want to risk running into a clumsy osprey. Or one who's desperate to feed because it's depth-perception is off, and it hasn't caught a fish in days.

:evil Or, you could invest in a really big fish, slice it's belly open, clean it, and pull it right down onto your head. That should bring her in!