Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gorgeous photos, guys! I'm wondering dear Silver, has anyone guess what MLQB is yet? :D Happy week to y'all 'n :Cake:s too! :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
So a little bit ago I happened to glance out my window and saw a very confused-looking friend at our front door. I snapped off a picture quickly, but didn't want to take the time to do it right, as he looked mighty unhappy to see me. Fortunately, he is a box(?) turtle and didn't much fight me as I airlifted him to the nearest lake.

DSCN1926_2.jpg

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
::headdesk::

Sideways and huge.

I swear, it's not sideways on Photobucket. And it's not huge.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome photos, everyone! I especially lurv that Angie Blue one. What an amazing combination of vibrant colors. :)

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
So a little bit ago I happened to glance out my window and saw a very confused-looking friend at our front door. I snapped off a picture quickly, but didn't want to take the time to do it right, as he looked mighty unhappy to see me. Fortunately, he is a box(?) turtle and didn't much fight me as I airlifted him to the nearest lake.

Aw, I love turtles. There's a pond near my mom's house, and the road there has soft gravel shoulders. The turtles like to dig there to lay their eggs...which, unfortunately, results in turtles on the road getting run over by cars. I always pull over and move them off the road when I happen to see one. They probably go right back out there, cussing me in turtle language, but it makes me feel better anyway, LOL!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I love turtles. There's a pond near my mom's house, and the road there has soft gravel shoulders. The turtles like to dig there to lay their eggs...which, unfortunately, results in turtles on the road getting run over by cars. I always pull over and move them off the road when I happen to see one. They probably go right back out there, cussing me in turtle language, but it makes me feel better anyway, LOL!

That's sweet of you. :)

I spend more of my free time than I'd care to admit getting turtles safely across the road. :rolleyes:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score

i can't believe you'd drowned a poor innocent box turtle for trespassing!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:eek: SRSLY?

I have no idea. I put him on the bank, not in the water, though.

Oy. That poor turtle. He's probably been eaten by a gator by now.

NO WAIT! He had pond scum all over him. Surely that meant he was in the water.

Oy.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
No, no, it was pond scum.

I dated a lot before I got married; I know from scum.

:D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. He definitely wasn't a gopher or red eared slider. Or a soft-shell. ::shudder:: Those guys are angry.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with the native turtles of Florida, but that looks a lot like a Western Painted turtle. We have plenty of them here, but I don't think they should be that far South, unless he's a pet that slipped out of someone's backyard.

The Western Painted keeps the orange coloring on the underside of the shell.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I think he may be a cooter.
That's what he looks like to me as well, in this case a Florida red-bellied cooter.

Okay. He definitely wasn't a gopher or red eared slider. Or a soft-shell. ::shudder:: Those guys are angry.

Did someone say soft-shelled turtle? :)

This big female was busy digging a nest when I happened along and took a few quick shots. They are the fastest turtle on land, as well as one of the most aggressive, so I didn't stick around for long:

5-17-12039-SM-1.jpg

5-17-12036-SM.jpg

I went back to check on the nest a couple of days later and found that it had been raided, with broken eggs and their shells strewn all about. The nest itself appeared to have been repaired, though, with most of the earth put back into place; so perhaps, if there are any eggs left, the turtle was able to salvage the brood chamber.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
I'm not very familiar with the native turtles of Florida, but that looks a lot like a Western Painted turtle. We have plenty of them here, but I don't think they should be that far South, unless he's a pet that slipped out of someone's backyard.

The Western Painted keeps the orange coloring on the underside of the shell.

We have those here, too, and from what I remember from childhood (we had one who kept coming back to our yard) they're pretty easy going. The one who kept coming back would let us play with him and was very patient for a wild animal. I think we named him Bill, but I was only about 7 or 8 at the time so its hard to remember. :)

Gosh, I think of all the baby birds I brought home as a kid and hid in my room and feel so bad now. As a kid you don't understand how delicate they are and how their moms will probably come back for them or panic when they can't find them. Its sad seeing a nest, bird, turtle or whatever else, disrupted. :(

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to appreciate the beauty of this thing.....

...nope, not happening.
You'd have to look hard, as the true beauty of the beast is in its ugliness. :)

More moorhens. Note how one of the chicks is following its mom extremely close:

5-22-12017-SM.jpg

Later, one of them falls well behind the group:

5-22-12038-SM.jpg

The mom turned back to retrieve the straggler and gave it all kinds of hell for slowing their progress:

5-22-12048-SM.jpg