So what is the next step?

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Well, it looks like the two letters via US Mail that got through got someone's attention at PA. Just got this in my e-mail:

Dear Richard Paolinelli:

Thank you for your email. Your contract non-renewal is noted. We decline to terminate the contract early.

PublishAmerica Support
http://publishamerica.com/support/

Sigh. I suppose it was too much to hope for that they'd go ahead and sever ties 11 months early.

So I'll just have to spend the next 11 months bombarding their support system with queries as to why I have not received a royalty check or some kind of report indicating zero sales of my book since March 2008 until they finally give me an answer.

I'll also start sending them copies of letters from book sellers that are telling me they have bought the book and it is sitting on their shelves - actual books and not "virtual" stock that needs to be printed after the order is received - that I have yet to receive a single penny in royalties for.

Going to be a fun 331 days until PA Freedom Day.

devil-8533.gif

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . .So I'll just have to spend the next 11 months bombarding their support system . . .
My advice is to forget it. You have more important things to do, IMHO. The more time you waste on those . . . people . . . the more they win by sucking the life out of what could be more productive endeavors on your part.

--Ken

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
My advice is to forget it. You have more important things to do, IMHO. The more time you waste on those . . . people . . . the more they win by sucking the life out of what could be more productive endeavors on your part.

--Ken

Unfortunately Ken, there's just too much Shakespeare reading in my past to let this go.

Shakespeare+smiley.PNG

CRY HAVOC!!! AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!!!!!!

lol

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you put your efforts in to something more fruitful? How about getting that manuscript rewritten and edited? Find a publisher (you have solid proof the rights will revert to you next January) or publish it yourself? You'll have months to get it into shape, do some PR, and then release it when you legally can do so. And if you publish yourself, you'll get better royalties, and probably sell more copies than you did with PA.

There's a proverb about living well being the best revenge. How about publishing well?

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Why don't you put your efforts in to something more fruitful? How about getting that manuscript rewritten and edited? Find a publisher (you have solid proof the rights will revert to you next January) or publish it yourself? You'll have months to get it into shape, do some PR, and then release it when you legally can do so. And if you publish yourself, you'll get better royalties, and probably sell more copies than you did with PA.

There's a proverb about living well being the best revenge. How about publishing well?

I am, but I find some value as therapy to devote five minutes a day (the joys of copy and paste and a fast internet connection) being a general pain in the PA arse. Who knows, they just might finally get fed up and cave.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I am, but I find some value as therapy to devote five minutes a day (the joys of copy and paste and a fast internet connection) being a general pain in the PA arse. Who knows, they just might finally get fed up and cave.

No, they really won't. Actually, they love it when people harass them -- gives them that feeling of self-righteousness -- so you're doing exactly the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish. Leaving them alone is the best thing you can do all the way around.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I agree with Terie, Julie, and Ken. Even five minutes a day is too much to waste on PA. If you really want to use your energy constructively, make a character in your next novel a vile creature that preys on its victims with no remorse. The character will be interesting and you can channel all that PA negativity into something positive.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
No, they really won't. Actually, they love it when people harass them -- gives them that feeling of self-righteousness -- so you're doing exactly the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish. Leaving them alone is the best thing you can do all the way around.

This.