• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dark Discoveries Magazine

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a story in the maybe pile for two years now. I've sent in polite queries every six months or so to check-in and usually get a quick response. Apparently, I'm still in the maybe pile.

Hil

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I had one there for 13 months, in the end, with an eventual rejection. Going to pro rates apparently swamped them with submissions. They seem professional enough, but until things settle down (or they get more staff) I wouldn't bother submit again.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
I had one there for 13 months, in the end, with an eventual rejection. Going to pro rates apparently swamped them with submissions. They seem professional enough, but until things settle down (or they get more staff) I wouldn't bother submit again.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I know James and Paul were totally overwhelmed when they went pro. Paul, the new executive editor, actually gave me a phone call to tell me to "hang in there." So, at least they are nice and personable about it.

Hill

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
If you look on duotropes, you'll see that their rejections are 400-500+ days. Talk about a wait. :rolleyes: That's why I've been hesitant to submit to them.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
DD is one of the few mags I've had to nudge that bothered to respond, so that's a point in their favor. On the other hand, I've been on hold for more than a year now. My thinking, without any hard feelings, is: A year is long enough for an exclusive read. Could be time to withdraw and resub.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like my patience has won out. I received an email on Sunday from James Beach, the editor. Not only did he apologize for the delay (1000+ days at this point) but he also did a complete line edit of my story and said he's interested in it for the magazine! I won't hold my breath until the contract's signed and it's an official done deal, but I'm thinking I might be on the cusp of my first sale!!

Hillary

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad I've kept busy. It's been almost too long to count but finally, James Beach has given me the issue number - 25 or 26 depending on theme! Whoopie! The wait was worth it!

I suppose the lesson learned here was if you make it to the maybe pile, hold on. Keep working on other stuff and don't get hung up over that one story. Even though I was doubtful about the final result of waiting so long, I didn't once consider resubbing elsewhere. I had other stuff to keep me busy so I was fine to let that one be. With how flooded the horror print mag market is right now, a maybe is a toe in the door.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I subbed a story last October and have checked a few times since on its progress. At the moment, I'm in the 'maybe' pile. They've said I can withdraw at any time, but I'm OK with waiting. Probably not a market for anyone who wants a speedy reply, but that's never been an issue for me.

RLMcKeown

The rambling bard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccamckeownwrites.com
Congrats, Hilldawg! I agree--you have to keep busy. Waiting is so frustrating, but it can sometimes pay off, and if it doesn't? You gotta move on and submit elsewhere. I know as EIC of a small lit mag, I feel awful when I make people wait longer than the 6-8 week response time our site states, but sometimes it just can't be helped. All of us have other jobs, so life often gets in the way. I'm sure they felt bad about making you wait so long, too. Two years, though? Wow! I'm glad it worked out for you in the end!

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed a story last October and have checked a few times since on its progress. At the moment, I'm in the 'maybe' pile. They've said I can withdraw at any time, but I'm OK with waiting. Probably not a market for anyone who wants a speedy reply, but that's never been an issue for me.

That's good news, Seun! Dark Discoveries is really becoming a big name mag for the horror market. Back when I submitted, it was just getting its feet off the ground so I feel fortunate to have made it through the slush pile. Now, it looks like my story will be coming out when the mag is really booming - I couldn't have asked for better luck.

Hillary

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Hilldawg! I agree--you have to keep busy. Waiting is so frustrating, but it can sometimes pay off, and if it doesn't? You gotta move on and submit elsewhere. I know as EIC of a small lit mag, I feel awful when I make people wait longer than the 6-8 week response time our site states, but sometimes it just can't be helped. All of us have other jobs, so life often gets in the way. I'm sure they felt bad about making you wait so long, too. Two years, though? Wow! I'm glad it worked out for you in the end!

Throughout the process, I never once was angry with the editors or publishers. While I might have been frustrated at the slow response time (to my quarterly check-in emails), their responses were always cordial. I know how much the print market was shrinking at the time so I realized that they must have been totally flooded (and continue to be) with submissions. It seems like slow response time is just the norm these days. I can accept that. I'm super respectful of what these guys need to do each month (like you said, in addition to their other jobs) to roll out such high quality mags.

As a side note, I think it would be interesting to help a small press go through the slush pile on an anthology or magazine. I've always been interested in the publishing world and have even day-dreamed about being a guest editor on an anthology. We'll see what the future holds. I think once I get my name out there, this could be another path to pursue.

Hillary

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Congratulations, Hillary --

It's encouraging to hear your patience paid off. That is great timing to appear there now that they are gaining attention as a pro publication.

I hear you on the tight horror market. When I first started submitting fiction again in May -- all kinds of spec fiction -- I mainly sent to markets that have a fast response time. I'm trying to make up for lost time, so the waiting gets to me. The only thing that helps is keeping as many stories out as possible.

Thanks for posting about your experience. It's helping me rethink my aversion to slow response times.

dale hollin

Registered
Reaction score
i have a story that's been in their "maybe" pile since may. i was so concerned working on the novel, i forgot about it. maybe i should nudge and see what's up.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've nudged on mine a couple of times in the last two months - the second time because I didn't get a reply to the first. Not heard anything since October last year.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Withdrew my story yesterday. I figure subbing it in October 2012 and being told April 2013 that it's in the 'maybe' pile before hearing nothing since last October means they're not too interested.