Anyone else invigorated by fanfic writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
I tried an interesting experiment lately, and I think it's paying off.

My novel Chipper has been a long, slow slog. I wanted to get back to it in a big way after New Years, but I haven't felt the desire to complete it. I've been writing this novel and nothing else for over a year and I'm just sick of it.

As a lark, I decided to write a fanfic. I wanted to remind myself how much fun I used to have writing, and I wanted to write something that I didn't need to worry about sending to agents or publishers.

But while writing some fanfic, I also allocated some time to grind on Chipper. That gave me a surprise when I added up wordcounts one day last week. I had written almost 3,000 words in one day -- about 2k on the fanfic and 1k on Chipper, which is a lot compared to my recent output.

Writing fanfic is making me enthusiastic about writing again, and is thus also improving the output of my 'professional' writing.

That's an interesting side effect. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced it. When a WIP gets too onerous and you can't stand the sight of the manuscript any more, maybe it's time to write something silly on the side. Just to remind yourself how much fun writing can be.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you aren't having as much fun writing your own novel as you have writing fanfic, you're doing something wrong.

Anyway, no, I'd rather write soup can labels than fanfic. I'd also rather read soup can labels, for that matter.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
If you aren't having as much fun writing your own novel as you have writing fanfic, you're doing something wrong.

And if I could figure out what that is, I'd fix it. :)

Actually I know what it is. I'm restraining myself in this novel, trying to force myself toward the mainstream, because my usual bizarro-weird novels were not selling. It might turn out to be the best novel I've ever written, but it's boring and tedious to write it. I won't restrain myself like this again.

Meanwhile, fanfic is fun and meaningless. Whatever keeps an author writing is a good thing.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
And if I could figure out what that is, I'd fix it. :)

Actually I know what it is. I'm restraining myself in this novel, trying to force myself toward the mainstream, because my usual bizarro-weird novels were not selling. It might turn out to be the best novel I've ever written, but it's boring and tedious to write it. I won't restrain myself like this again.

Meanwhile, fanfic is fun and meaningless. Whatever keeps an author writing is a good thing.

Fan fiction is great practice and also "easier" than writing original fiction. But yeah, your real problem seems to be that you're writing a book you don't like.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Fanfic is the warm, fuzzy blanket I grab when I'm feeling ill, down or just too damn tired to engage my brain. Sometimes it's nice to snuggle down, grab a prompt and then just let my fingers wander the keyboard.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
The first long stories I ever wrote and finished were fanfic. Gave me endurance training for writing novels.

I don't do much fanfic writing anymore, but yeah, when I am burned out on a major project, I usually start working on some cracky, idficcy side project. Reminds me why I find writing so fun in the first place.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Not saying other folks shouldn't do this. Not saying that informally 'authorized' fanfic isn't useful and fun and a good training ground. SF&F in particular has a long-established, warm, and lively community of fanfic.

But if we're looking at my own reaction --

I can't imagine writing fanfic. To purposefully copy another writer's universe and characters . . . it just feels icky to me.

If I had a story, I'd want to worldbuild and create my own characters. Using somebody else's would be like wearing somebody else's underpants.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
After I finished my dissertation, I was sick of English and never wanted to see another book again. I then decided to do a fan-fic of The Eagle of the Ninth. After about several chapters my Marcus had taken on a life of his own.

So I wrote his story, and I have an almost completed WIP one year later.

To purposefully copy another writer's universe and characters . . . it just feels icky to me.

If I had a story, I'd want to worldbuild and create my own characters. Using somebody else's would be like wearing somebody else's underpants.

I have to agree, I never felt comfortable using Sutcliff's characters. But once I created my own characters and their story it was brilliant.

QuantumIguana

Registered
Reaction score
People have been writing using characters that others have created since humans started writing. Of course, we don't call it fan fiction if the copyright has expired or if it is authorized. If someone writes a Wizard of Oz book, we don't call it fan fiction, and if someone writes an authorized Star Trek novel, we don't call that fan fiction either.

I used to read fan fiction, but it is hard to find stories that aren't about the character's love lives. I like the stories that are more like a fan-created episode, rather than a romance story. One of the important things in a fan fiction is to really understand the characters. Some people just don't understand the characters, so they speak and act in ways that are not true to who they are.

Reaction score
I can't imagine writing fanfic. To purposefully copy another writer's universe and characters . . . it just feels icky to me.

This. I rate fanfic as highly as I do self-publishing.

Whether or not the original author minds, I think fanfic is theft of intellectual property and immoral, even if it is perfectly legal.

I'd rather spend my time writing something from which I stand a chance of making money.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Nope...

Never felt the desire to read Fan Fict or write in someone else's world. If I am going to put in the time, (Ass in chair), I would rather create my own worlds, have my own storyline, characters and imagination working for me...

But that is just me and to each their own.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I started writing with Trek fanfic (I regret nothing!) but eventually branched out into my own universes with my own characters. I regarded it as good writing practice if nothing else.

Hey, if I'd kept it up, maybe I could've been one of authors who wrote Trek spin-off novels! They didn't seem to have a problem writing in someone else's universe. Of course the money probably helped. :)

-Derek

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Nope...

Never felt the desire to read Fan Fict or write in someone else's world. If I am going to put in the time, (Ass in chair), I would rather create my own worlds, have my own storyline, characters and imagination working for me...

But that is just me and to each their own.
I'm in the same boat. I've never had that urge to play in another author's sandbox, or even to read fanfic. It's just so much more fun and fulfilling to create your own stuff -- and I actually consider worldbuilding to be part of the fun, not a chore.

But for people starting out, yeah it's fine practice.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a few Harry Potter fanfics when I was young and stupid. They're fun just in the same way local bands get together and play Aerosmith songs. You put your own spin on something you love and a limited audience cheers.

I couldn't see myself ever going back to it though. It's just too much fun writing a "fanfic" for about 20 different inspirations at the same and calling it "my original novel." :)

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
When I get burned out I write my own fanfic. Take some of my characters and throw them into completely different situations than the actual WIP. I ask myself "what if...." and run with it.

It's fun.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm only a writer because of fanfiction. I got obsessed with another author's world for a few years, and wound up writing a 50,000 word fanfic.

And then I thought, "Hey. I just wrote a novella. If I can write a novella, I can write a novel. Why don't I?"

And I've been writing original stuff since then.

I'm proud to say I wore J. K. Rowling's underpants. It was a great learning experience.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
When I get burned out I write my own fanfic. Take some of my characters and throw them into completely different situations than the actual WIP. I ask myself "what if...." and run with it.

It's fun.

Exploring the characters by writing shorts is very useful.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, if anything I would probably write the equivalent of deleted scenes or bonus material for my WIP -- something I know has no place in the real book because it doesn't move the plot forward and can't exactly qualify as character development either, but would still be fun to write.

I've been tempted to do that recently, but I have a feeling it would end up being thinly veiled procrastination rather than a genuine attempt to get back in the groove.

DreamGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
I also started writing fan fiction (occasion still do), and then branched out into my own creative stories. If fan fiction can get you writing when you aren't, it's better than writing nothing at all, at least that my opinion.

KSandoval

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, fanfic is no pressure. I have no expectations of my writing when I write it, and often experiment with POVs and such that I wouldn't generally use in my own work. I still struggle with not taking my 'actual writing' too seriously, so having a playground to escape to is nice. I write it very rarely, even so. And because I don't feel particularly obligated to it (that's the fun) I tend not to finish what I start.

Status
Not open for further replies.