Approaching Dialogue in Historical Fiction

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
18th century English, though. The problem is that you're translating from Latin anyway, so all bets are off :)

You can't restrict yourself to contemporary English, because it didn't exist...

True! :)

But I wonder if the reason why it stuck out was that it didn't fit? I was wondering whether to change it to 'cock-sure' or something similiar?

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Could be - if you're going for a particular tone, you need to stick to it. It's even trickier in real historical fiction, where there are colloquialisms that are a lot older than people think - or a lot younger. Short of handing out a dictionary of historical slang with every book, you always take the chance that you'll put off some readers with your "inaccuracy" *sigh*

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Could be - if you're going for a particular tone, you need to stick to it. It's even trickier in real historical fiction, where there are colloquialisms that are a lot older than people think - or a lot younger. Short of handing out a dictionary of historical slang with every book, you always take the chance that you'll put off some readers with your "inaccuracy" *sigh*

:)

Raula

Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, well done for picking up an agent like that - you must have done something really good to impress her! I'd be interested in knowing your secret ;-)

I have spent years reading contemporary literature to familiarise myself with the language of seventeenth-century England and I am also fortunate enough to have access to letters and political speeches the hero of my novel wrote. When in doubt, I turn to good old Shakespeare - but have to be careful, because some of the famous lines of his plays that have become 'well-known sayings' were probably not in wide use until later.

I still don't feel like I'm getting it right sometimes. The funniest thing was a few months ago when I was messaging my friend on Facebook whilst writing a chapter, and instead of replying to her, "Yea, think I'll do that", I wrote, "Aye, I shall take that course". She majorly laughed in my face ... so I must be getting there in some ways.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
The funniest thing was a few months ago when I was messaging my friend on Facebook whilst writing a chapter, and instead of replying to her, "Yea, think I'll do that", I wrote, "Aye, I shall take that course". She majorly laughed in my face ... so I must be getting there in some ways.

:D