• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editorial Service] Editing for Authors

Lucas

Registered
Reaction score
They must have got a load of submissions now. :p

Lucas

Registered
Reaction score
No one who knows anything?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Lucas, if you can, you may want to amend the subject line to include [website]. At first, I thought the thread would be a discussion of editing for authors. In following the link, I see it's not.

So, perhaps you'll get more people peeking in if they know more specifically what you're referring to?

I've not heard of them so I can't help more. Sorry.

Good luck!

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Do they show the books they've edited? Ones that have gone on to be published? I think that's a critical benchmark that an editor has to reach before you'd want to take your mss. and your money to them. I'd try to find as many of those books as possible, see which ones found publishers. Read sections from the "look inside" feature of any of the books they've edited that might be on Amazon. And contact those authors to see what they thought of their experience.

Ideally they've had experience editing the kind of book you've written.

There are lots of editors out there. Be choosy.

Last edited by a moderator:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
A lot of these editing places never tell you who is doing the editing and what their qualifications are. Looking at their website on the about us page, they say exactly who they are, their publishing experience, and who they have done editing work for. So that's a plus.

Other than reading their website I know nothing about them. Maybe someone will pop in who has used them. There is a link on the about us page to send them sample pages.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I never even looked at the "about us" section. It's good that they do share it there, and indeed it seems they have experience.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
http://www.editingforauthors.com/

When I tried to start a new thread a while ago, I instead was lead to this link. What is it and how reliable are they?

You know it is funny you should say that. A few times I have tried to click on my CP (like 2 minutes ago) and it goes to the editing for authors website. It's very weird. I started a thread in the FAQ area on it to see if I'm imagining it.

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
OK, this has been bothering me for a few days:

The Google Ad above for Editing for Authors says, "Eating serial commas for breakfast for twenty years."

But, the serial (or Oxford) comma is not necessarily wrong; it's just a factor of house style. For some publishers one should leave the serial comma, and for others one should remove it.

Therefore, to me the slogan "Eating serial commas for breakfast" is a cute play on words, but essentially meaningless. It's like the quote "A child can ask a wise man questions he cannot answer." Well, a fool can ask a wise man questions he cannot answer. So can another wise man. The quote sounds good, but it doesn't actually have any deep meaning.

Eating cereal for breakfast vs. serial commas for breakfast makes a nice pun, but a meaningless statement. I really wish they would change their ad. It bugs me every time I see it. But then, I don't have anything against the serial comma unless a prospective publisher does :D.

JonVanZile

Registered
Reaction score
But they're so tasty!

Dreamweaver, et al,

Sorry the tagline bugged you! My partner and I were just fooling around with puns and wordplay, like you pointed out. Obviously we don't actually have anything against serial commas—we follow CMS in most cases, which "strongly recommends" the practice, as do many publishers. In any event, we will change the ad tagline soon so this particular stone in your shoe will go away.

As for our qualifications and anonymity, we are indeed professional and experienced editors who have worked in this business for a very long time. We're not fishy at all. I promise. Authors who work with us either work with myself or Erica Orloff directly, or sometimes both. And I definitely agree that author testimonials would be nice. The truth is, we have been too busy since we hung out our plaque to build that page, but it's on my list of things to do.

My last thought: I think the most important thing you can do to evaluate a prospective editor is get an editing sample. This is actually a better indication of an editor's skill than whatever authors he or she has worked with. Truth is, you never know what ELSE has happened to a particular book as it worked its way toward publication. But a sample will show you directly, on your own work, how an editor approaches the book. And yes, be choosy. Good editing is not cheap (ask any publisher...they'll be happy to complain about it). So check and check again, get a sample, and cover your bases.

Jon VanZile

Deleted member 42

That particular ad isn't a Google ad. It's one that MacAllister has vetted.

If you look at their About page, these are professional credentialed editors who have worked for publications and publishers you'll recognize.

And there's already a thread about them here.

Rita_

Rita
Registered
Reaction score
editingforauthors - Comprehensive Edit opinion

Hello. I´m not sure if this is mentioned in any of the previous posts. I´m finishing my first novel (YA) and would like to have it edited (by a professional) before self publishing it. I don´t want to spend much more than 1000$. The book will have between 70000 - 90000.
As English in not my first language and this is my first book, I would like more than grammar checking.
I came across this website http://editingforauthors.com which have the following option: [FONT=&quot]Comprehensive Edit: $0.017/word [/FONT]
"This is our standard edit and by far the most popular. Unlike conventional proofreaders, Editing for Authors has developed a comprehensive editorial process that closely mimics the traditional editing process. Your standard edit includes a thorough line edit, with paragraph-level comments regarding transitions and basic fact-checking. After this first edit is complete, we’ll generate an editorial letter discussing larger issues in your book. This letter is a resource for you—it will contain an expert opinion of areas that are working and areas of potential improvement, all with an eye toward increasing the marketability of your book. You can choose to make revisions or not. If you choose to make revisions, your standard edit includes a second-pass edit focusing on new and changed text. Your edit isn’t complete until you’ve signed off on the second-pass edit and your book is completely ready for uploading or printing."

Did anyone use this service before? Do you have suggestions on other websites/ editors, who have a service in this price range?

Thank you, Rita

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most editors tend to stick to certain genres, for which they know the conventions and expectations. What genre is your book?

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I´m not sure if this is mentioned in any of the previous posts. I´m finishing my first novel (YA) and would like to have it edited (by a professional) before self publishing it. I don´t want to spend much more than 1000$. The book will have between 70000 - 90000.
As English in not my first language and this is my first book, I would like more than grammar checking.
I came across this website http://editingforauthors.com which have the following option: [FONT=&quot]Comprehensive Edit: $0.017/word [/FONT]
"This is our standard edit and by far the most popular. Unlike conventional proofreaders, Editing for Authors has developed a comprehensive editorial process that closely mimics the traditional editing process. Your standard edit includes a thorough line edit, with paragraph-level comments regarding transitions and basic fact-checking. After this first edit is complete, we’ll generate an editorial letter discussing larger issues in your book. This letter is a resource for you—it will contain an expert opinion of areas that are working and areas of potential improvement, all with an eye toward increasing the marketability of your book. You can choose to make revisions or not. If you choose to make revisions, your standard edit includes a second-pass edit focusing on new and changed text. Your edit isn’t complete until you’ve signed off on the second-pass edit and your book is completely ready for uploading or printing."

Did anyone use this service before? Do you have suggestions on other websites/ editors, who have a service in this price range?

Thank you, Rita

Rita,
That's very expensive. I mean, they might be terrific but you don't really know going in.

Back before the economy fell (it's been years now!), I would charge (and get) a similar rate ($12,000 for a book with your word count) because I had worked in the publishing world as an in-house editor for one of the Big 6. But I couldn't imagine getting (or asking) for that rate now.

I'm sure you can find a good editor at the rate your able to pay here at AW. And one who probably can offer you references as well.

You want a PER PAGE rate for line editing and proofreading and a fixed amount for a substantive overview. You want someone who will work with you make any changes other than syntax, etc.

$3.00 per page is reasonable, with a flat rate for a substantive overview. So your budget will definitely work. And pay in milestones, starting with the first chapter then, if you work well with the editor, set up bigger milestones with the substantive overview rate paid upon completion.

The word count is going to be in flux in the editing process so a fixed amount per page protects you and also frees up the editor who may need to cut things and move things around on a page or within a chapter.

You probably can find a substantive editor in your price range right here on these boards.

Good luck to you in your search!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have suggestions on other websites/ editors, who have a service in this price range?
Most editors only work in the genre(s) they are familiar with, since they'll need to know the genre's conventions. What genre is your book, Rita?

Edit: Never mind, the OP has been asking the same questions here and the genre question has been answered.

The only editors whose work I'm familar with and would recommend are Dr Debra Doyle or Nicola Griffith/Sterling Editing.

Rita_

Rita
Registered
Reaction score
Melville, thank you for your answer (you gave me hope =)).
Unimportant, I believe Dr Doyle only works with fantasy (and similar), right? I visited Sterling Editing website just now. It´s a little bit on my budget´s limit , but an option to consider.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Rita,
That's very expensive. I mean, they might be terrific but you don't really know going in.

Back before the economy fell (it's been years now!), I would charge (and get) a similar rate ($12,000 for a book with your word count) because I had worked in the publishing world as an in-house editor for one of the Big 6. But I couldn't imagine getting (or asking) for that rate now.

Perhaps my maths is not working today, but at $0.017 a word for 80,000 words, that works out at $1,360 (not what I'm assuming you may have calculated, $13,600.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Rita, I can recommend The Literary Consultancy, and Cornerstones, both based in the UK. I earn no commission from them and haven't used either myself, but have heard good things about them both.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
That's very expensive.

I think you did the math wrong. It's 1.7 cents a word, not 17 cents a word.

You want a PER PAGE rate

Disagree that this is the only way to do rates. I know lots of pro editors who quote rates at per-word, and lots of pro editors who quote rates at per-hour.

It is free to post a job listing at the Editorial Freelancers Association website; you will get many highly qualified editors expressing interest. Check references, and see whose approach and style would work best for you.