AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Editorial Service] Editing for Authors

practical experience, FTW Lucas's Avatar

[Editorial Service] Editing for Authors

http://www.editingforauthors.com/

When I tried to start a new thread a while ago, I instead was lead to this link. What is it and how reliable are they?

Don't know anything about them, but here's what happened with the link:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=235211
    WIPs

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
    Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
    Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
    Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

They must have got a load of submissions now. :P

No one who knows anything?

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Lucas, if you can, you may want to amend the subject line to include [website]. At first, I thought the thread would be a discussion of editing for authors. In following the link, I see it's not.

So, perhaps you'll get more people peeking in if they know more specifically what you're referring to?

I've not heard of them so I can't help more. Sorry.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

Do they show the books they've edited? Ones that have gone on to be published? I think that's a critical benchmark that an editor has to reach before you'd want to take your mss. and your money to them. I'd try to find as many of those books as possible, see which ones found publishers. Read sections from the "look inside" feature of any of the books they've edited that might be on Amazon. And contact those authors to see what they thought of their experience.

Ideally they've had experience editing the kind of book you've written.

There are lots of editors out there. Be choosy.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 11-28-2016 at 06:17 AM. Reason: code weirdness

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    A lot of these editing places never tell you who is doing the editing and what their qualifications are. Looking at their website on the about us page, they say exactly who they are, their publishing experience, and who they have done editing work for. So that's a plus.

Other than reading their website I know nothing about them. Maybe someone will pop in who has used them. There is a link on the about us page to send them sample pages.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

I never even looked at the "about us" section. It's good that they do share it there, and indeed it seems they have experience.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 11-28-2016 at 06:18 AM. Reason: code weirdness

Sounds fishy...

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AGragon View Post
    Sounds fishy...
    On the contary, they look to be experienced and professional.

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    http://www.editingforauthors.com/

When I tried to start a new thread a while ago, I instead was lead to this link. What is it and how reliable are they?
    You know it is funny you should say that. A few times I have tried to click on my CP (like 2 minutes ago) and it goes to the editing for authors website. It's very weird. I started a thread in the FAQ area on it to see if I'm imagining it.
    Last edited by HistorySleuth; 03-07-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

OK, this has been bothering me for a few days:

The Google Ad above for Editing for Authors says, "Eating serial commas for breakfast for twenty years."

But, the serial (or Oxford) comma is not necessarily wrong; it's just a factor of house style. For some publishers one should leave the serial comma, and for others one should remove it.

Therefore, to me the slogan "Eating serial commas for breakfast" is a cute play on words, but essentially meaningless. It's like the quote "A child can ask a wise man questions he cannot answer." Well, a fool can ask a wise man questions he cannot answer. So can another wise man. The quote sounds good, but it doesn't actually have any deep meaning.

Eating cereal for breakfast vs. serial commas for breakfast makes a nice pun, but a meaningless statement. I really wish they would change their ad. It bugs me every time I see it. But then, I don't have anything against the serial comma unless a prospective publisher does .
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

But they're so tasty!

Dreamweaver, et al,

Sorry the tagline bugged you! My partner and I were just fooling around with puns and wordplay, like you pointed out. Obviously we don't actually have anything against serial commas—we follow CMS in most cases, which "strongly recommends" the practice, as do many publishers. In any event, we will change the ad tagline soon so this particular stone in your shoe will go away.

As for our qualifications and anonymity, we are indeed professional and experienced editors who have worked in this business for a very long time. We're not fishy at all. I promise. Authors who work with us either work with myself or Erica Orloff directly, or sometimes both. And I definitely agree that author testimonials would be nice. The truth is, we have been too busy since we hung out our plaque to build that page, but it's on my list of things to do.

My last thought: I think the most important thing you can do to evaluate a prospective editor is get an editing sample. This is actually a better indication of an editor's skill than whatever authors he or she has worked with. Truth is, you never know what ELSE has happened to a particular book as it worked its way toward publication. But a sample will show you directly, on your own work, how an editor approaches the book. And yes, be choosy. Good editing is not cheap (ask any publisher...they'll be happy to complain about it). So check and check again, get a sample, and cover your bases.

Jon VanZile

Question Editing for Authors

There's an ad at the top of this web page for an editing service called Editing for Authors. Has anyone here ever used it? Was it useful?
    CatherineHall

The Elephant In The Temple (blog)

QTMcGrue.Imagekind.com (visual art)

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    That particular ad isn't a Google ad. It's one that MacAllister has vetted.

If you look at their About page, these are professional credentialed editors who have worked for publications and publishers you'll recognize.

And there's already a thread about them here.
    Last edited by Medievalist; 07-31-2012 at 03:05 AM.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    That particular ad isn't a Google ad. It's one that MacAllister has vetted.

If you look at their About page, these are professional credentialed editors who have worked for publications and publisher's you'll recognize.

And there's already a thread about them here.

Thank you....
    CatherineHall

The Elephant In The Temple (blog)

QTMcGrue.Imagekind.com (visual art)

Rita

editingforauthors - Comprehensive Edit opinion

Hello. I´m not sure if this is mentioned in any of the previous posts. I´m finishing my first novel (YA) and would like to have it edited (by a professional) before self publishing it. I don´t want to spend much more than 1000$. The book will have between 70000 - 90000.
    As English in not my first language and this is my first book, I would like more than grammar checking.
    I came across this website http://editingforauthors.com which have the following option: Comprehensive Edit: $0.017/word
    "This is our standard edit and by far the most popular. Unlike conventional proofreaders, Editing for Authors has developed a comprehensive editorial process that closely mimics the traditional editing process. Your standard edit includes a thorough line edit, with paragraph-level comments regarding transitions and basic fact-checking. After this first edit is complete, we’ll generate an editorial letter discussing larger issues in your book. This letter is a resource for you—it will contain an expert opinion of areas that are working and areas of potential improvement, all with an eye toward increasing the marketability of your book. You can choose to make revisions or not. If you choose to make revisions, your standard edit includes a second-pass edit focusing on new and changed text. Your edit isn’t complete until you’ve signed off on the second-pass edit and your book is completely ready for uploading or printing."

Did anyone use this service before? Do you have suggestions on other websites/ editors, who have a service in this price range?

Thank you, Rita

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Most editors tend to stick to certain genres, for which they know the conventions and expectations. What genre is your book?

Rita
    Ya (young adult) drama with a little romance.

Reader first, writer second Melville's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita_ View Post
    Hello. I´m not sure if this is mentioned in any of the previous posts. I´m finishing my first novel (YA) and would like to have it edited (by a professional) before self publishing it. I don´t want to spend much more than 1000$. The book will have between 70000 - 90000.
    As English in not my first language and this is my first book, I would like more than grammar checking.
    I came across this website http://editingforauthors.com which have the following option: Comprehensive Edit: $0.017/word
    "This is our standard edit and by far the most popular. Unlike conventional proofreaders, Editing for Authors has developed a comprehensive editorial process that closely mimics the traditional editing process. Your standard edit includes a thorough line edit, with paragraph-level comments regarding transitions and basic fact-checking. After this first edit is complete, we’ll generate an editorial letter discussing larger issues in your book. This letter is a resource for you—it will contain an expert opinion of areas that are working and areas of potential improvement, all with an eye toward increasing the marketability of your book. You can choose to make revisions or not. If you choose to make revisions, your standard edit includes a second-pass edit focusing on new and changed text. Your edit isn’t complete until you’ve signed off on the second-pass edit and your book is completely ready for uploading or printing."

Did anyone use this service before? Do you have suggestions on other websites/ editors, who have a service in this price range?

Thank you, Rita
    Rita,
    That's very expensive. I mean, they might be terrific but you don't really know going in.

Back before the economy fell (it's been years now!), I would charge (and get) a similar rate ($12,000 for a book with your word count) because I had worked in the publishing world as an in-house editor for one of the Big 6. But I couldn't imagine getting (or asking) for that rate now.

I'm sure you can find a good editor at the rate your able to pay here at AW. And one who probably can offer you references as well.

You want a PER PAGE rate for line editing and proofreading and a fixed amount for a substantive overview. You want someone who will work with you make any changes other than syntax, etc.

$3.00 per page is reasonable, with a flat rate for a substantive overview. So your budget will definitely work. And pay in milestones, starting with the first chapter then, if you work well with the editor, set up bigger milestones with the substantive overview rate paid upon completion.

The word count is going to be in flux in the editing process so a fixed amount per page protects you and also frees up the editor who may need to cut things and move things around on a page or within a chapter.

You probably can find a substantive editor in your price range right here on these boards.

Good luck to you in your search!
    It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.
    --Herman Melville

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita_ View Post
    Do you have suggestions on other websites/ editors, who have a service in this price range?
    Most editors only work in the genre(s) they are familiar with, since they'll need to know the genre's conventions. What genre is your book, Rita?

Edit: Never mind, the OP has been asking the same questions here and the genre question has been answered.

The only editors whose work I'm familar with and would recommend are Dr Debra Doyle or Nicola Griffith/Sterling Editing.

Rita
    Melville, thank you for your answer (you gave me hope =)).
    Unimportant, I believe Dr Doyle only works with fantasy (and similar), right? I visited Sterling Editing website just now. It´s a little bit on my budget´s limit , but an option to consider.

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    Rita,
    That's very expensive. I mean, they might be terrific but you don't really know going in.

Back before the economy fell (it's been years now!), I would charge (and get) a similar rate ($12,000 for a book with your word count) because I had worked in the publishing world as an in-house editor for one of the Big 6. But I couldn't imagine getting (or asking) for that rate now.
    Perhaps my maths is not working today, but at $0.017 a word for 80,000 words, that works out at $1,360 (not what I'm assuming you may have calculated, $13,600.)

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Rita, I can recommend The Literary Consultancy, and Cornerstones, both based in the UK. I earn no commission from them and haven't used either myself, but have heard good things about them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    That's very expensive.
    I think you did the math wrong. It's 1.7 cents a word, not 17 cents a word.

You want a PER PAGE rate
    Disagree that this is the only way to do rates. I know lots of pro editors who quote rates at per-word, and lots of pro editors who quote rates at per-hour.

It is free to post a job listing at the Editorial Freelancers Association website; you will get many highly qualified editors expressing interest. Check references, and see whose approach and style would work best for you.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast