Doomsday Clock: 1 Minute Closer to Midnight

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Now this is one reason why I could never, ever sign on to the idea of being an atheist. Maybe an agnostic but never an atheist with the belief that there is no afterlife. The idea that I live with people who partake in this kind of shit and that a life amongst them is all I get? No, I can't sign on to that. Forgive me friends, please, but I just ... I, I just can't.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Now this is one reason why I could never, ever sign on to the idea of being an atheist. Maybe an agnostic but never an atheist with the belief that there is no afterlife. The idea that I live with people who partake in this kind of shit and that a life amongst them is all I get? No, I can't sign on to that. Forgive me friends, please, but I just ... I, I just can't.

I feel the same way about the Tea Party and the Westboro Church.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
the Westboro Church.
So does everybody, 95 % of Americans who identify themselves as conservative Christians did not take them seriously in the slightest. By and large they have if nothing else immense respect for our Armed Forces and so the idea that the took the WBC seriously in the slightest in light of their comments on dead soldiers is absolutely just laughable. As far as living with the Westboro Baptist Church? Honestly that never bothered me as much as the fact that enough of my fellow Americans and even some Europeans thought they were important enough to be featured on talk shows, news updates and documentaries. Would you consider a traveling circus back when they were prominent important enough to feature on talk shows and news panels to discuss their views on current events? No? You wouldn't? Then why did the WBC get that treatment? I mean...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
That's true. But consider this: in 1960, it was 11:53. In 1963 it was 11:48. +7 and +12 respectively.

It wasn't changed in 1961 or in 1962.

Do you think we were closer to global thermonuclear war now than we were in 1962?

The idea behind the clock isn't a bad one, but the gatekeepers here are full of shit, imo. Their expertise is laughable.

To be fair, they're including Climate Change...which, while it won't wipe out the human race like nuclear war would, it could wipe out our civilization.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was a lot more fun when Dick Clark was announcing the changes.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
It might be just me, but the passing of a certain Saudi King, along with the rain in Spain, ticks off at least another second of doom, in my view. YMMV.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, if it was my clock I'd be checking the batteries.

And probably changing them.

(And obviously disposing of the old batteries in an environmentally responsible manner.)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just built my own Doomsday Clock and set it...to 12:03am. Read it and weep.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps this helps explain the move:
Five years go an impressive, international group of scientists unveiled nine biological and environmental “boundaries” that humankind should not cross in order to keep the earth a livable place. To its peril, the world had already crossed three of those safe limits: too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, too rapid a rate of species loss and too much pouring of nitrogen into rivers and oceans—primarily in the form of fertilizer runoff.

Now we have succeeded in transgressing a fourth limit: the amount of forestland being bulldozed or burned out of existence (see map below). Less and less forest reduces the planet’s ability to absorb some of that carbon dioxide and to produce water vapor, crucial to plant life.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ans-cross-another-danger-line-for-the-planet/