Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: SOPA Strike! January 18, 2012

Hybrid View

SOPA Strike! January 18, 2012

Any website, large or small, is invited to go offline for twelve hours from 8 AM to 8 PM EST on January 18, 2012, to protest the clueless bills in Congress known as SOPA and PIPA.

My WordPress blog has a plug-in installed that will do this for me, in fact.

Is anybody else participating?

Catbooks and Other Methods available now!

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    An meodoheall monig dreama full

AW Admin
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Necessary Troublemaker nighttimer's Avatar
    From beer to eternity
    I'm in and I urge my fellow bloggers at Word Press to join the protest.
    "Look at yourselves. Some of you teenagers, students. How do you think I feel and I belong to a generation ahead of you - how do you think I feel to have to tell you, 'We, my generation, sat around like a knot on a wall while the whole world was fighting for its human rights - and you've got to be born into a society where you still have that same fight.' What did we do, who preceded you ? I'll tell you what we did. Nothing. And don't you make the same mistake we made...."
    ~ Malcolm X

Unapologetic. Vainglorious. Multifarious. Just Audacious. @
    The Domino Theory

insert witty title here kimberlycreates's Avatar
    southern wisconsin
    I'm in. I know that in the grand scheme of things, I'm just another nobody on the internet. Like another writer said in a post I just read, "Nobody's going to cry tears into their pillows" that my site is down. But in my mind, that's not the point. It's about awareness. A few more people today will see at least one more site on strike against SOPA & PIPA today, and maybe one of them will be moved to do something more than just navigate to another site.
    writing | editing | coaching
    visit me at kimberlycreates.com and #writingstreak!

let's connect!
    facebook | twitter | linkedin

figuring it all out alessahinlo's Avatar
    Washington DC
    I'm participating. Wordpress.com added an option in their dashboard so that hosted blogs can participate just like self-hosted WP blogs too. Makes it easy.

Dust Bunnies are NSA Agents! robjvargas's Avatar
    IL, USA.
    Not happy that Google isn't providing an option for this, considering they've been such a vocal opponent. Still, I've blogged on my Blogger page about this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    -Robert A. Heinlein-

practical experience, FTW Max Vaehling's Avatar
    Bremen, Germany
    I'm not participating in the strike, for reasons not related to the issue. But I've posted a comic pirating my own previous comics into a statementy mashup. Then I censored the comic.

I apologize if this kills the forum layout, but since this is not about pushing my own site...

ETA: Ah. Didn't. Good layout, this.