Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: SOPA Strike! January 18, 2012

Hybrid View

SOPA Strike! January 18, 2012

http://sopastrike.com/

Any website, large or small, is invited to go offline for twelve hours from 8 AM to 8 PM EST on January 18, 2012, to protest the clueless bills in Congress known as SOPA and PIPA.

My WordPress blog has a plug-in installed that will do this for me, in fact.

Is anybody else participating?
    'shay

Catbooks and Other Methods available now!

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Walt Palmer is Elmer Fudd. nighttimer's Avatar
    I'm in and I urge my fellow bloggers at Word Press to join the protest.

It had long been true, and prisoners knew this better than anyone, that the poorer you were the more likely you were to end up in jail. This was not just because the poor committed more crimes. In fact, they did. The rich did not have to commit crimes to get what they wanted; the laws were on their side. But when the rich did commit crimes, they often were not prosecuted, and if they were they could get out on bail, hire clever lawyers, get better treatment from judges. Somehow, the jails ended up full of poor black people.

HOWARD ZINN, A People's History of the United States

Unapologetic. Vainglorious. Multifarious. Just Audacious. @
    The Domino Theory

insert witty title here kimberlycreates's Avatar
    I'm in. I know that in the grand scheme of things, I'm just another nobody on the internet. Like another writer said in a post I just read, "Nobody's going to cry tears into their pillows" that my site is down. But in my mind, that's not the point. It's about awareness. A few more people today will see at least one more site on strike against SOPA & PIPA today, and maybe one of them will be moved to do something more than just navigate to another site.
    kimberlycreates
    writing | editing | coaching
    visit me at kimberlycreates.com and #writingstreak!

let's connect!
    facebook | twitter | linkedin

figuring it all out alessahinlo's Avatar
    I'm participating. Wordpress.com added an option in their dashboard so that hosted blogs can participate just like self-hosted WP blogs too. Makes it easy.

Dust Bunnies are NSA Agents! robjvargas's Avatar
    Not happy that Google isn't providing an option for this, considering they've been such a vocal opponent. Still, I've blogged on my Blogger page about this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    -Robert A. Heinlein-

practical experience, FTW Max Vaehling's Avatar
    I'm not participating in the strike, for reasons not related to the issue. But I've posted a comic pirating my own previous comics into a statementy mashup. Then I censored the comic.

I apologize if this kills the forum layout, but since this is not about pushing my own site...

ETA: Ah. Didn't. Good layout, this.