• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ashley Grayson Agency

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
elindsey said:
Btw, I also sent my query to "Ms. Grayson"...

Remember there IS a Ms. Grayson, his wife Carolyn is an agent in the office, they also have a new agent Jennifer Wang. I don't know much about her. Maybe their backlog will clear up soon.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Still waiting to hear from Carolyn, but given that August is a relaxed month for agents, I'm going to wait until the end of Spetember before I start sighing and wondering if no news is "No thanks" news.

elindsey

It was Jennifer Wang who requested the partial. Hopefully she's hungry for new clients!

BRILLIANT GRAYSONS

scfirenice said:
They are both brilliant. I always sound like a moron when I'm on the phone with them...maybe I am. ; ) They are both always gracious. I can't imagine they wouldn't get back to someone who submits, especially by snail mail, I don't trust the internet when it comes to subs.

Yes, I was quite impressed with Ashley when I first met him at a con about 25 years ago. Whenever he comes to a con, I always look forward to hearing him talk on panels.

Sonarbabe said:
It's been almost a month since my email query to Carolyn. I'm thinking that their silence is a resounding, "No." LOL.

As I understand, six-months to a year is the standard time-frame for hearing back from queries. So if you hear back in less than 6 months you are indeed fortunate.

I_Shrugged said:
I don't know how current this is, but their listing on PublishersMarketplace.com says that as of 4/15/06 they are not accepting unsolicited queries unless you meet one of their 5 guidelines. (Which is too darn bad, because he sounds like a guy I'd want to query. Dang it.)
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/CGrayson/

But realize that, of course, they can make exceptions for whyever they want to. Such as Ashley has known me marginally for a long time now. He's seen me sitting in on his panels for many years now, plus has talked to me some too.

Scrawler said:
I sent a query (with SASE of course) on October 3, 2005
No reply.

Over a year now, and they haven't even emailed you back with an update on the status of your query? Humm. Makes me wonder if it's even been opened yet.

Sonarbabe said:
Still waiting to hear from Carolyn, but given that August is a relaxed month for agents, I'm going to wait until the end of Spetember before I start sighing and wondering if no news is "No thanks" news.

At Worldcon, over the Labor Day weekend, I didn't have complete copies of all my novels ready yet, as I had originally planned to. So I had to send them all along via snail-mail afterwards. Over a month later, I'm a bit surprised I haven't even received an confirming email to the effect that they had received my package. Should I send them an email I wonder? Or--- I sure hope the Post Awful hasn't lost almost a thousand printed pages along the way. Sigh! Maybe I should just have tooled on over there and dropped it off in their mail-box directly some night.

I_Shrugged said:
I don't know how current this is, but their listing on PublishersMarketplace.com says that as of 4/15/06 they are not accepting unsolicited queries unless you meet one of their 5 guidelines. (Which is too darn bad, because he sounds like a guy I'd want to query. Dang it.)
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/CGrayson/

They updated their lasting there much more recently, several weeks after your post.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious if .... ever got a response on his/her manuscripts?

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I submitted to the Grayson agency two years ago. I got a request for partial, and dutifully mailed off the requested number of pages.

Three weeks later, I got back the requested sample pages with a form rejection.

LavenderEmma

Hi all,

The Ashley Grayson agency requested my full manuscript in August (after reviewing a partial). I have not heard anything since, and it's been 5 months now.

Does anyone know what the normal waiting period is for them to reply to a manuscript?

Thanks for any help.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
I just got a request for a partial from Carolyn Grayson on a query sent last September with an apology for the delay. The second my query had hit the mailbox they'd closed to submissions so I was sure it was an automatic rejection. Now I just have to get my partial in the mail and sit here quietly freaking out a little. :D

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working with them for over a year now and I have to say that it is not always a very positive experience. They are very busy and communication is not always at the top of their list. All in all, I think they are still a decent agency, but there are some down sides too. Just a little update on my thread.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Update--their listing on Publisher's Marketplace says that for fiction, they will only accept queries from published authors, unpublished authors with a contract offer from a publisher, or referrals. That was as of September, 2006.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Legitimate . . . my post may be too little too late. He's super nice and friendly. Anyone would be lucky to have him. Oh and don't worry. I queries him as Ms. - I think he is used to it. he never said a word and showed interest anywho. Fast responder too.