AW Writing Contests, Prompts & Challenges! Check them out!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Just when you thought poetry might take a rest...
along comes the

2012 AW February Poetry Contest!

Read all about it:

Hey folks! I am pleased to announce February's poetry contest:

DREAMS, VISIONS, OR NIGHTMARES

What's It About?

Write a poem on any of the three aspects of the contest title, or a combination of those aspects. Pretty wide open, you say? Yep. That's the idea. But, it is a February contest, you say. Shouldn't it be about Valentine's Day? It can be, if you want it to be, though it doesn't have to be. Perhaps you met your dream, your vision, or your nightmare on February 14th. Or, you wake from a dream to find... but you all don't need my help on ideas. You have ideas bursting from your pores. So go write. So many directions to go... and only one poem entry to take you there.

I have decided to go with member votes to determine the winner of the contest. After the submission phase of the contest ends, all poems that have been submitted and meet the rules of entry will be posted in a thread in the Poetry Crit forum, and members will vote for their top three favorites. First-place votes get three points; second-place votes get two points; third-place votes get one point.

The poem with the most points wins.

The Prizes

Blarg will be donating (more info to come), and CDSinex has been kind enough to offer A Zen Wave: Basho's Haiku and Zen by Robert Aitken. Mccardey has generously offered 2 books from the Book Depository.

First-place winner will get first choice of prize, followed by second-place winner, etc.

Rules

• Entrants must be members of AW in good standing since at least January 12, 2012.
  • One entry per member.
  • Poems must be three hundred words or fewer.
  • Poems must be sixty lines or fewer.
  • There is no restriction or requirement on poetic form.
  • Poems will be posted exactly as entered – except that they will all be posted in the same font. No graphic images will be permitted. Please make sure your spelling and formatting are exactly as you want them before you submit the poems. (Use Preview Post before you send). I will not proofread or edit the entries.
  • All AW members in good standing since at least January 12, 2012, are eligible to vote.
  • Entrants are permitted to vote for their own poems.
Entrants must vote to be eligible to win.

How to Enter

Using the board's private message function, send me your poems by February 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM US Eastern (know your time zones).
I will post the poems together in a single thread in the Poetry Crit forum, and open the voting.

When I post the poems, I will assign the poems a number and use the title the author chooses (if you submit without a title, it will be creatively called Untitled).

How to Vote

Once the poems are posted, send me your vote via PM – one vote per current AW member in good standing, also using the private message function.

The subject line of the PM should be: VOTE: DREAMS, VISIONS, or NIGHTMARES Contest.

In the body of the message, include three votes in order, from first to third. List both the poem number and the title. For example:

9. Flying Pigs
2. Falling Stars
5. Beauty's Breath

Voting will close at 11:59PM US Eastern on February 29, 2012. Any votes received after that time will not count, even in your dreams.

I will then post complete results with vote totals for every entry, and announce the winner.

If you win, I'll need a mailing address. I'll either mail the prize to you myself or have it sent from an online distributor.

So get your vision clear, follow your dreams and avoid those nightmares. Ready, set, go!

Good luck!

[Acknowledgements: Thanks to Blarg and PiaH for the help in setting up this contest. You rock! And a big thanks to the peeps donating prizes. :) And a special thanks to those who have encouraged me to proceed with this contest. Your support means the world to me. Now let's write!]

Can we make this the most participation ever
in an AW Poetry Contest???

I bet we can!

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting and advertising this, Kelly. You are the best. :)

And, yes, I know it isn't February yet. I wanted to give everyone a full month to work on and polish their poems. That is why I went ahead and launched the contest now.

So, get busy! The February 14th deadline for entering is just around the corner. :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I can stick this thread to the top of the forum; or we can keep bumping it up there whenever the feeling strikes. Either way is fine by me.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I have been urged through secret means to pin this thread, and stuck it shall be for the duration of the contest. :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Sk, that should give a select few of us some peace! =)

(and more time to write poems!)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked at the prizes? You should! See my post in the poetry forum (link in my sig line) for the current list. Perhaps that will inspire you to enter! :D

I just received another submission! Thank you for those who have sent in their poem entries. :)

However, there have not been many entries yet. I have received 5 so far. I hope this means that people are working hard on their poems and polishing, getting ready to submit in mass numbers.

Come on, folks. Get busy with those poems!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There have been a few more submissions. However, I am hoping for many more. Come on, peoples. There are great PRIZES!

Remember, you only have through the 14th of February to submit. Don't miss out.

And, tell your friends. I know there are closet poets here at AW. Share the wealth!

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The poems are filtering in. You only have 5 more days to submit your poem. Don't procrastinate and miss your opportunity. Get your poems to me soon!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today is the last day to get your entries in for the February Poetry Contest. Please send your poems in before 11:59pm, Eastern time zone, for consideration.

Any poems arriving at midnight or thereafter will be discarded. So don't delay!

And when the entries are posted (hopefully by tomorrow), please vote. The poets of AW are counting on you!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The submission period is over. Now it is time for the voting period. Please vote for your top three favorite poems.

Voting rules and information are located here.

Entries are located here (password: citrus)

Thanks for your support!

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. You can vote. Voting ends today at 11:59 pm EST. So hurry!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I vote too?

Yes. You can vote. Voting ends today at 11:59 pm EST. So hurry!

Ummm actually, no. I'm sorry Words Worth. Your join date at AW is too late to vote in this poetry contest. You would have had to be a member here on January 12th or before. The next contest we have, you will be able to vote in. And also enter, if you have a poetic bent.

But just because you can't vote in this one doesn't mean you can't read the poems and when the results are posted write to those poets you would have chosen and tell them how much you like their work. I encourage you, and anyone else who do to the rules can't vote in this contest, to let the poets know their work appealed to you. It means the world to poet to hear those words. Please let them know. :)

For anyone who was a member on or before Jan 12th this year, hurry. Voting ends at 11:59 pm Eastern, today!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a problem. I am glad it came up. I have had a few votes that I had to disqualify. And it really breaks my heart to send out that pm.

Thanks, Escritora. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The voting has closed on the February Poetry contest--Dreams, Visions, or Nightmares.

26 members entered.

151 members voted.

Results will be posted by Friday evening.

Thanks all! Goodnight!