Shift Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I know a lot of you worry about accidental typos in queries--you know, the funny kind. In the paper query days, I once sent out a batch that included "pubic" instead of "public."

But we're not alone. Agents do it, too. And they're just as mortified as we are when we err. Behold, from Sara Megibow's Twitter feed:

SaraMegibow Sara Megibow

typed to an editor... I MEANT to say, "thanks for being fast" instead I wrote, "thanks for being fat" #facepalm #Ishouldquitnow

So relax. We're all human. :D

(For the record, Sara is made of awesome-sauce. And I love that she shared this.)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Cute. I bet there may be more goofs like this showing up these days. My daughter likes to look at a website, think it's called damn you autocorrect - it's amazing the goofs that technology can create for unsuspecting texters. Puma

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I once came VERY close to sending an important email which contained the word busy...with a t added to it.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully you at least get an editor to laugh with one of these. Maybe if the pitch itself is good it will put them in the right frame of mind to read it ;)

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
A product manager once sent me an e-mail asking if I could dig up our scholastic stopword list (that is, the list of all the words that the databases we sell to K-12 schools should disallow kids from searching.)

After sending it, I told someone that I had just sent a product manager an obscenity-laced e-mail, but it was OK, because he had really asked for it this time. :)

Edited to add: I was just amused that I was sending a work-related e-mail that contained at least twenty words one should never, ever use in a work-related e-mail.:ROFL:

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I once sent an email that ended in 'kind retards'. Oh, and another, that ended in 'manly thanks', but I rather liked that one.

:ROFL:I now intend to close out all of my correspondence with "manly thanks." :D

Oh, and the site mentioned a few posts up:

www.damnyouautocorrect.com

If you've never been, do not go until you have a few hours to roll around on the floor...

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I applaud Megibow for standing up to our thin-obsessed culture! You go, girl, just not too fat, please.

:D

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Cute. I bet there may be more goofs like this showing up these days. My daughter likes to look at a website, think it's called damn you autocorrect - it's amazing the goofs that technology can create for unsuspecting texters. Puma

I have the RSS feed for that site in Google Reader. Because there's nothing like starting the day helplessly crying with laughter.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I always wonder if the Damn You Autocorrects are real. They can't be, not all of them, right? I'm looking at the 2nd one down right now ("Dad"). Please God tell me that "Dad" did not scar his daughter for life like that...

Oh, and another, that ended in 'manly thanks', but I rather liked that one.

:roll:

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I lectured at a computer programmer's conference in the 1980s. I got tongue-tied and referred to "floppy dicks." It took a while to get the room back.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... I give you an "A" on the pun in your thread title ;-)

In regards to typos, authors and agents have no excuse. Correspondences should be proofread before being sent out. There's never any excuse not to do that.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
In regards to typos, authors and agents have no excuse. Correspondences should be proofread before being sent out. There's never any excuse not to do that.

It doesn't matter how many times you proofread something, the eye still sees what it wants to see.

Case in point: I just finished my second-pass pages.

That means I've read it a zillion times, my beta readers have read it once, my alpha reader (and boyfriend) has read it at least twice, my agent's read it several times, my editor--and her assistant--have read it God knows how many times, the copy-editor has done their part, and I pored over my first-pass pages until I wanted to puke.

And guess what? It took someone who read one of my ARCs to spot two mistakes ALL of us had missed.

The eye will often see what's supposed to be there, not what is.

During the querying process, one agent, in her correspondence with me, misspelled her own name. *Shrug* It happens to us all. It's not like they didn't know (or care to know) the difference between to/too/two or you're/your. It was just a silly--very human--typo.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... don't know what second pass pages are. I'm guessing they're on the long side. That's not the case with one-page or half-page queries. One should be able to read through one, once, and spot any typos, especially of the sort mentioned here. It's just a matter of paying strict attention and reading carefully, rather than just skimming over something. There's always a tendency to do the later. That's mostly the cause for why errors get overlooked.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
... don't know what second pass pages are. I'm guessing they're on the long side. That's not the case with one-page or half-page queries. One should be able to read through one, once, and spot any typos, especially of the sort mentioned here. It's just a matter of paying strict attention and reading carefully, rather than just skimming over something. There's always a tendency to do the later. That's mostly the cause for why errors get overlooked.

Second-pass (and first) pages are also known as galleys or page proofs. It's when the book is typeset, but unbound.

And I still maintain that people occasionally miss things, no matter how diligent they are. It must be lovely to be perfect, but most of us are regular human beings who sometimes screw up.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree that people are going to miss things regardless. Years ago when I was working we had a very important technical proposal that needed to be sent out. I'd read it until I was blue in the face and had the typos corrected. Other people had read it. Before it was sent out I read it one last time and found a mistake in the next to last paragraph of the last page (over 100 pages) in a simple four letter word - can't remember what it was but something like wree instead of were. It happens. Puma

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't writing-related, but I had a student once who didn't know why his physics experiment had failed and was pulling any explanation he could think of out of the aether.

In his lab report's conclusion, he said, "The experiment may have failed due to an error in the data or maybe some fiction."

He meant friction, but that was a lovely little Freudian slip from someone who was clearly trying to bullshit me. :)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Second-pass (and first) pages are also known as galleys or page proofs. It's when the book is typeset, but unbound.

And I still maintain that people occasionally miss things, no matter how diligent they are. It must be lovely to be perfect, but most of us are regular human beings who sometimes screw up.
In one of my books, I proofed, my editor proofed, the FLE proofed and then, just because I had the time, I aked my husband (heretofore known as Ol' Eagle Eyes) to look over the galleys.

He found mistakes that three different sets of eyes missed.

I s'pose all of us (with the exception of Ol' Eagle Eyes) should hang our heads in shame at our obvious stupidity. :D

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score

You mean like what I bolded for you? See? Shift can happen to anyone. :)

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You mean like what I bolded for you? See? Shift can happen to anyone. :)

... not in this instance, though I wish it had been a typo. I never knew there was such a word as "latter." I've been using "later" from day one, when referencing back to a previous sentence or to a previous part of sentence. I just looked "latter" up and am now informed.

:eek:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
He found mistakes that three different sets of eyes missed.

I s'pose all of us (with the exception of Ol' Eagle Eyes) should hang our heads in shame at our obvious stupidity. :D

You should rent him out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.