generating blog comments and discussion

creativewriting

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, having your site visible and read is the main prerequisite for this. I'm wondering what other techniques you guys have for generating blog comments and discussions, as well as for improving your rankings and readership.

I have a blog that has a community blog section that only gets occasional posts (I use bbpress). Obviously, people don't want to post on an empty discussion board. What do you do to garner that initial activity?

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, the quickest way to get people to your site is to comment on other sites. Let people get to know you and they'll be more interested. And you could put a link for your blog in your sig so all of us AWers can check it out.

Rebekkah

To thine own self be true.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
themusingwriter.blogspot.com
Yeah, I would love to generate blog comments as well and to get a lot of followers. Some of the blogs I follow have over a thousand followers. How do people get that many followers? What's their secret?

SuzanneSeese

Comfortably numb by rejections
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.viewofsue.blogspot.com
I strongly agree with the commenting. Leaving comments draws traffic because most bloggers feel obligated to comment back. Try to leave comments that are witty, something that would draw the other commenter's on that blog to check you out also.
Sadly it is very time consuming if you have other things going on.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Making comments to get comments is good for a start. But in the end the content has to attract traffic and invite comment on its own.

Muddymack76

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcmogensen.webs.com
I agree with making comments on other blogs. Just make sure to leave a link back to your site when you do this so that the site owner can return the favor. A lot of the people who leave a comment on my blog don't hyperlink their name or leave a link so it's impossible for me to visit their site or for other visitors who like their comments to visit their site.

You should also submit your blog to sites like StumbleUpon, reddit, Digg and BoingBoing. If you have original pictures on your blog submit them to tumblr. Good luck and feel free to visit my blog :)

AFord

You know U R a book lover when ...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
af12.webs.com
Wished I knew their secret, Rebekkah. If you care to exchange links with me, I'll certainly be open to faithfully commenting on your blog posts. Timing may also be a key element for those folks with lots of followers, and, of course, maintaining their loyal following is something the blog owners should be credited with as well. Good Luck to you! I'm at http://af12.webs.com/

Yeah, I would love to generate blog comments as well and to get a lot of followers. Some of the blogs I follow have over a thousand followers. How do people get that many followers? What's their secret?